• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

Xmas Jam and Phil & Friends

#97789 2 years, 8 months ago
No time to write a review right now but stellar performances by all!

Here is the

and the set lists for all:

Warren Haynes
And It Stoned Me

Kevin Kinney & The Christmas Family Band
Never Gonna Change
Ain’t Waiting on Tomorrow
Breathe >
Rocket Man >
I’ve Got A Feeling

Bela Fleck/Jeff Sipe (with Jimmy Herring, Bill Evans, Taylor Lee & Casey Driessen)
Solo Improv >
Jed Clampett
Monkey See
Spanish Point
Scapegoat Blues
Soulgrass

Los Lobos
Neighborhood
Don’t Worry Baby
Revolution
Venganza de Los Pelados
Chuco’s Cumbia
I Walk Alone
Not Fade Away >
Bertha with Warren Haynes

Phil Lesh & Friends (Warren Haynes, Jackie Greene, Jeff Chimenti & Joe Russo)
Shakedown Street >
Deal >
Viola Lee Blues >
Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) >
Viola Lee Blues >
China Cat Sunflower >
I Know You Rider
Dark Star >
She Said, She Said >
Dark Star >
Wharf Rat >
The Other One > with Jimmy Herring
Sugaree with Jimmy Herring

Encore
Angel Band

Gov’t Mule
Railroad Boy
Beautifully Broken
Thorazine Shuffle
Banks Of The Deep End
Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys with Bill Evans & Phil Lesh
Dear Prudence with Jimmy Herring
Inside Outside Woman Blues
When The Music’s Over
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

Re: Xmas Jam and Phil & Friends

#97898 2 years, 8 months ago
This show was awesome..my buddy and i got in around 645 and got some decent floor seats...Warren starting it out with and it stoned me was perfect and i enjoyed the covers the family band had especially Rocketman..Bela Fleck's set was pretty damn good and i reallllly enjoyed having Herring come out on stage for most of it..Los Lobos was not really my favorite i thought their mix was off but oh well, the NFA with only the crowd doing vocals was a blast and then BERTHA who doesn't love a Bertha...the crowd was rearin' ready to go after that and then the insanity ensued...

Phil and Friends came on..I was here for this and i would say a lot of the audience was too..I was pretty curious to see what they were going to play, i was thinking Unbroken Chain or Box of Rain at some point and was hoping for a Broken Arrow return but none were played oh well. Shakedown to start was fun..Something with the way Russo counts it down i can always feel it coming and blurt it out right before the Phil Bomb intro..At first it was weird having Warren sing, not that i am opposed to it, but i saw Furthur a month ago and DSO a week ago so i had to adjust on the fly to Warren singing but Shakedown gave way to Deal, which i could've sworn was gonna be a US Blues after the first notes, anyway Deal was fun i like Jackie's voice a lot..Two good songs to start but this is where it really took off for me and didn't slow down until after Phil had left the stage...

VIOLA while arguably overplayed i love it and i could hear it every show, it provides for great jamming and the Xmas Jam was no exception they tricked me with doing the first 2 verses and then breaking it up but nonetheless Caution was great a love that one and during that transition is when i locked in with the band and felt in the zone and completely focused..the Viola>Caution>Viola was great followed up by a China>Rider the transition jam between the two was pretty good in my opinion then it got pretty quiet musically as Jimmy Herring walked out on stage which gave way to a spacey tuning when i kept on mumbling Dark Star under my breath i think some people around me thought i was nuts but then there it was Dark Star in fine shape that Saturday night and the jam in there into She Said, She Said was fantastic complete with some Wharf Rat teases i believe because i kept mumbling Wharf Rat under my breath, but that was a treat..in the jam back to Dark Star i was hearing a little bit of a Birdsong tease as well as some friends by us, and at some point in one of the transitions of Dark Star i am certain that Warren was teasing Jessica, that or i am crazy, then after Dark Star came Wharf which was powerfully delivered by Warren and one of the many highlights for me..

The Other One followed, i love this one and i didn't care that Phil sang it at all, i do however wish they'd done Cryptical>TOO>Cryptical, especially since Phil sings Cryptical with Furthur but oh well i thought it was great and it gave way to Sugaree, which i would say brought the house down and i enjoyed the split vocals of Warren and Jackie and this is where Jeff made his big appearance of the evening..he KILLS the keys in Sugaree it is awesome to watch, that was probably my main complaint with the Phil and Friends set was Jeff didn't get much of the spotlight, but nonetheless i loved this version, the energy was so high and the crowd was going crazy...I thought the encore was nice, but honestly i'd rather hear a Phil classic like Box thats just my two cents

We stayed through Beautifully Broken cause we had a two hour drive after and had no idea how long the thing would go, i was glad to see the next day i didn't miss a lot more Phil..that night was a lot of fun and i realllllly enjoyed Phil and Friends and as i've said before if Furthur split that would be where i would head i wish i could make it out to Colorado for the shows in February
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, amusingdeva
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#97909 2 years, 8 months ago
I agree with most of what you said....

Jeff killed it on keys on Sugaree - wow!
I loved the addition of Jimmy Herring - a real enhancement to every song he played on throughout the night.
Los Lobos did not really get going until Bertha which, in my opinion, is one of their best numbers in the first place but I am not a huge fan of theirs. Also not normally a big Bela Fleck fan but I loved his set.

But yea, it really got going once Phil & Friends took the stage. Way fun night! I did miss more psychedelic jamming but that is to be expected with this line-up . I love Warren, just not when he is singing Jerry tunes and I still prefer John.

Sorry you left early as I think Govt Mule did not get going completely until they played Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys. Then they really took off (and so did I!)

When the Music's Over blew me away and definitely left me wanting more, even though it was 3:00 in the morning. I could have used another half hour at least!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#97920 2 years, 8 months ago
I didn't particularly want to leave but my friend was driving home and we didn't get in until about 4 and then had a 5 hour drive back in the morning to get back by 5 cause i had work, i would've loved to have stayed the whole time i didn't mean to sound like i said i was glad i left when i did just glad that i didn't wake up to find out Phil and Friends came back on and played another 2 hours or something like that
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#97929 2 years, 8 months ago
after hearing the P&F set i am very psyched for the Broomfield shows! wahoooooo!
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#97930 2 years, 8 months ago
No way did I interpret that as you left because you wanted to! Who would want to???? The place was on fire!
Sometimes that other life intervenes....

This was my first ever Christmas Jam since I am a west-coaster. If I can afford it, I will be back for sure.

amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#97931 2 years, 8 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
just glad that i didn't wake up to find out Phil and Friends came back on and played another 2 hours or something like that

And I was hoping for that!!!
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds