• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

Re: Setlist - Rosemont, IL - 11/18/2011

#87970 2 years, 8 months ago
Cooper wrote:
I love Phil, just wish he waited till he was OFF the stage to yell at Russo - which tonight folks, it delayed the closing bow...

On to Madison! Peace.

Also, fintresting that the boyz can not come to Chicago without playing a Stephen or Eleven or Dark Star.

I agree with the final line. Why did Phil yell at Russo?
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#87972 2 years, 8 months ago
one last thought before bed. DEFINITELY expected a "Dancin in the Streets"....even called it 2nd set opener and encore. Never materialized. They could have at least done ONE nod to Chicago, since not many blues songs ("Wang Dang" anyone?) were played.
Cooper
Senior Boarder

#87982 2 years, 8 months ago
patchmyfurthur wrote:
Cooper wrote:
I love Phil, just wish he waited till he was OFF the stage to yell at Russo - which tonight folks, it delayed the closing bow...

On to Madison! Peace.

Also, fintresting that the boyz can not come to Chicago without playing a Stephen or Eleven or Dark Star.

I agree with the final line. Why did Phil yell at Russo?

Phil is as demanding as a jam-band musician that has EVER has been. I have seen him have it out with Russo a half dozen times sitting within the first 5 rows. Since Drums and Bass are the rhythm section, and Phil wants to have complete control - he demands a lot from Russ the "PhillWay". When Russo may miss a step, or not hit the mark as Phil demands it - he hears it immediately before Phil even leaves the stage. Russo is the best and takes it exactly as a professional at his level should and they noticeably agree as they walk off the stage. Tonight was a little nuts, because the whole band was waiting for the embrace bow - while Phil jabbered away! Its all good.
Connor
Junior Boarder

#87990 2 years, 8 months ago
Here are some youtube videos from the show last night. Not uploaded by me.

Dear Mr. Fantasy > Dark Star

The Eleven
Sure don't know, what I'm goin' for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, Bakes, Island Head
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#87992 2 years, 8 months ago
Connor wrote:
bender wrote:
I didn't hear a Thowing Stones jam in Liberty. Straight up Liberty was what I heard.

yeah. definitely no throwin' stones jam.

and that my friends is one of the reasons i stopped eating so much LSD at shows. i swear, you'd hear any song you want to in those jams if you tried hard enough.

ashes and glass though, does have a somewhat similar sound to throwin stones, A LITTLE. the intro for throwin is in ,A and so is the majority of ashes and glass, only thing is quickly throwin stones drops to the B based riffs and around. it's really that little riff bobby does that gives it that similar sound for a brief moment
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#87993 2 years, 8 months ago
patchmyfurthur wrote:
one last thought before bed. DEFINITELY expected a "Dancin in the Streets"....even called it 2nd set opener and encore. Never materialized. They could have at least done ONE nod to Chicago, since not many blues songs ("Wang Dang" anyone?) were played.

it's been a long time since the last dancin in the streets. the few times i've seen them play it, they've been pretty trainwreck. could the last one really have been phils birthday? i think it stays to the side for a reason, but i'd love to hear them whip up one of those killer late 70's versions. used to see jk tear em down with DSO
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#88041 2 years, 8 months ago
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Island Head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Chester
More or less in line

#88074 2 years, 8 months ago
The thing with Phil and Russo, was very noticeable. Usually they take some time to talk after the show, but before the bow.
In Albany Phil had quite a bit to say to him, and they were slow to get out and take their bow. But all smiles.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#88142 2 years, 8 months ago
russo is a great drummer, hell he is basically takin fillin 4 pair of shoes(i know i know furthur dosnt try to sound like GD, but you know what i mean, has to be almost as a mindfuck as tryin to fill jerrys spot) anyway, phil is happy with russo, i wasnt at the show, so im basicallly talkkin in general and outa my ass, but they have been touring together ALOT, how many furthur shows in the last 2 years, i dont know but ALOT, those guys spent alot of time, and sure fig. speakin shared the women and shared the wine, phil probably just feels comfortable enough around him now to be an asshole.
we only show our ass to our friends, cuase they are the only ones who will forgive us.
and yeah the drums are crucial to the bass.
remember the whole bob kickin jays bass drum phiasco, that got viral,but it was like two bros, or road dogs, havin a moment, of being pissed, shit happens.
is there a replay?
ChicagoJoe
Fresh Boarder

#88235 2 years, 8 months ago
Well, well, well...you can never tell.
Rosemont Review:
First off, great shakedown last night...I met up with old tour buddies and met new heads - good time.
Sugar Mag to open took me back to my first show in 1988. I was sitting 1st row with gdts tixs and it was amazing...this was the second time in my life I sat 1st row - the other was 1999 ABB at the beacon. The next tune was lame and then ratcheese song..wtf?? I could do without those tunes, next up Pride and Phil was playing great all night, changing tempo's and dropping bombs..good tune. Then, another tune I could have done without Peaceful Valley into a kind Deep Elm Blues - nice version into stagger lee - now the show was showing signs of life. Great Cassidy into motherfuckin' Sunshine Daydream!! Dude, 1988 Rosemont. Great version.
Set II
Playing in the Band - Hell yes, sweet jam and things are looking good into Mr. Fantasy - why??? this was the only song in the second set I could have done without - heard the GD play it too many times sooo much better. Well, what came next was pure bliss. DARK STAR - the name says it all and this version was better than the UIC last year - kind. Into the Eleven - I want to point out that the transition between songs were real, real smooth and tight. Right into a KILLER version of Moutains of the Moon - WOW - great jamming and it was excellent. Wham, right into a great version of St.Stephen>Shakedown....Rosemont was Rockin hard now = powerful. Right into the best Wharf Rat this band has ever played - it was flawless and moving and impressive. Really, really good. Bamm, right back into a nice playin reprise - good music.
Encore = Liberty - WHY?? what a bunch of shit, really bad way to end a show. Come on guys.
Overall, I had a real good time. Second set was good and the vibe was right at Rosemont. I feel honored to see the greatest Bass player up close.I though Weir look as white as ghost and real skinny - I hope he's OK. He sang good, but looked like he had a blank stare in his eyes. I would have bought him a buritto after the show.
I like Furthur and will catch this wave while it's still here.
Sunshine Daydream
Isn't it good to be lost in the wood
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds