• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
gonisher
Fresh Boarder

Who makes the Set Lists for each show?

#82323 2 years, 9 months ago
Hi friends,
I hope this is not stupid, I have followed the band since 1978, and I was at Portland on friday but here is the question. Who makes the set lists and when? Before tour, day of show?

Do they try to set it for the venue or State? Portland was very deep, not for a beginner.

Thanks for any input, enjoy the tour!
crazy digits
Fresh Boarder

Re: Who makes the Set Lists for each show?

#82348 2 years, 9 months ago
gonisher wrote:
Hi friends,
I hope this is not stupid, I have followed the band since 1978, and I was at Portland on friday but here is the question. Who makes the set lists and when? Before tour, day of show?

Do they try to set it for the venue or State? Portland was very deep, not for a beginner.

I believe Jill Lesh puts the setlists together with a member of the crew...not sure of his name..thinking Mike?
Cooper
Senior Boarder

#82536 2 years, 9 months ago
crazy digits wrote:
gonisher wrote:
Hi friends,

I believe Jill Lesh puts the setlists together with a member of the crew...not sure of his name..thinking Mike?

I heard it is mostly Jill BUT Bobby gets his nights, and Jeff and John also have a say in their nights. I guess it isnt an official rotation but when they are in certain areas, certain members get their pickings.... For Phils B-Day run last year that was definitely Jill and JK all over the Abbey Road idea to end with the medley on his b-day. Bobby picked the first set of Phil's 71st for sure too.
Xonk
Junior Boarder

#82559 2 years, 9 months ago
It is Jill Lesh and (sorry I forgot his name) the Assistant tour manager. with some input from the band, mostly bobby and phil
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#82560 2 years, 9 months ago
asst tour manager matt busch and jill lesh take turns...you can usually tell who wrote it of the two.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#82574 2 years, 9 months ago
And that first set from phils birthday was the perfect grouping of songs. The people were literally dancing in the streets, they needed a miracle to get into the show, and boy was the lucy loose that night
Straws
Junior Boarder

#82592 2 years, 9 months ago
gonisher wrote:
Hi friends,

That is an excellent question. I have also wondered when the setlists are created, that morning, the night before, or at the beginning of the tour? I would love to be a fly on the wall of a "setlist meeting" with Jill and the other members of the band. I am sure Bobby has a say as does Phil and JK. It would be pretty cool to get you hands on the setlist before the show. It would be strange to know what they are going to pay next. You would certainly impress your friends......
Ride in the whalebelly, Fade away in moonlight, Sink beneath the waters, To the coral sands below, Now is the time of returning.
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#82598 2 years, 9 months ago
I Think they are worked up before the shows. Maybe they do the setlist the day before the show but I doubt they do them all before they on the road.
Straws
Junior Boarder

#82606 2 years, 9 months ago
Ride in the whalebelly, Fade away in moonlight, Sink beneath the waters, To the coral sands below, Now is the time of returning.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Straws.
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#82613 2 years, 9 months ago
My guess is that they do the set-making for each night the day of show. Such as MSG tomorrow, on days when they have a day off, maybe they work it up the day before.

There are city references to research in songs, recent events in the areas they are playing (there was a definite river theme in the 1st set of Wilkes-Barre, probably a nod to the flooding there), recent events in the world on the day they play, and how many times they have played what in each city. I know in Chicago they usually blow their load nicely (at least Furthur does; The Dead's 2009 showing was weak IMO), but when I go I don't want to see "Terrapin" and "Shakedown" every time they're there (not that I would complain if they do).

But these are just my opinions and hunches.
Time to create page: 0.80 seconds