• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
onthebusin03
Junior Boarder

Re: 4/3/11 the Fabulous Fox Theater Atlanta Ga.

#8330 3 years, 3 months ago
First To Lay Me Down
First The Last Time
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
Gr8fulauditors
Junior Boarder

#8332 3 years, 3 months ago
Break outs a PLENTY!!!!
At least I'm still enjoying the ride !!!!!
spinneresque108
Junior Boarder

#8337 3 years, 3 months ago
I'm really glad they brought The Last Time back.
ScarletFire
Junior Boarder

#8345 3 years, 3 months ago
The whole show was fine. The DARK STAR hit me between eyes and up into the beautiful starry sky of the Fox. Namaste.
ScarletFire
Junior Boarder

#8458 3 years, 3 months ago
Forgot to mention ... I coulda sworn I saw some Bozo on the street last night in a Europe 72 jean jacket. By the time I realized it, he had disappeared. Serendipitous! I enjoy the mysteries of life tho.....
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by ScarletFire. Reason: What now?
JerseyRed
Fresh Boarder

#8479 3 years, 3 months ago
Is there really no download for this show?????
JerseyRed
Fresh Boarder

#8492 3 years, 3 months ago
Oops. Nevermind
irishqueenie
Senior Boarder
let there be songs to fill the air!!!

#8530 3 years, 3 months ago
wow what a show- listening to it on archives now--- i am wishing i was in hotlanta last nite!!!
if you got to go to the show-- you are a lucky dog! WOW
thanks for posting the set list---SMOKIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ColdStealie
Fresh Boarder

#8545 3 years, 3 months ago
ScarletFire wrote:
Forgot to mention ... I coulda sworn I saw some Bozo on the street last night in a Europe 72 jean jacket. By the time I realized it, he had disappeared. Serendipitous! I enjoy the mysteries of life tho.....

Yeah I saw that guy while I was waiting in line to get in.
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#8577 3 years, 3 months ago
And part 3 of 3 .... The Fabulous Fox!!! After Charleston, we found a chill rest area to call homebase for awhile. A supremely warm and sunny day greeted us, not a cloud in the sky, while hawks and crows remain a sporadic presence. Reflecting on the previous two nights, with knowingly futile speculation for the Fox, I was on one of my recurring rants in praise of Russo. Noting that I've yet to hear him pull off a really "spacey" type of jam, little did I know the foreshadowing...... Expressing my deep appreciation for Jeff & Sunshine, and noting the unsung pleasure of the pair's contributions, little did I know the foreshadowing.....

Atlanta!!! The Omni is where it all officially began for me in the Spring of '91, and I'd been to the Fox once for a beautiful show by Phish - which was my first exposure to Freaknik, incidentally, 'nuff said there! Getting to the lot with a good bit of time to spare was really cool; it was pretty sprawling and REALLY heady! Again, we find ourselves in a scene that spans generations, and at this point I'd realized the tourbug in me had awakened and started to whisper of Florida......

The Fox Theatre in Atlanta is indeed a fabulous venue, but so strangely confining, to me. Until you get into the performance venue, the place seems so incredibly small for the number of people squeezing through. Fortunately, there ain't a bad seat in the house, and we sat in the lower balcony, with the overly-alert young usher as my dance partner for the duration of the first set. We found our seats just as "Hell in a Bucket" raged off the stage. Just blistering! "CR&S" was a good example of the word "rollicking," a lot of fun! After a good strong opening, "West L.A." took it almost too far down for me. This is a song that, for me, brings up some sadness about Jerry; an overt glorification of the junkie lifestyle that hits too close for my comfort, evoking emotions that, clearly, I need to face on a personal level.... aahhh, but then... "To Lay me Down!" oh what a majestic beauty! Fit for the venue, the vibe of the crowd, everything, and JK shined like the gem he is! "Peggy-O" had a sweet, rustic vibe to it that the usher boy even got into! "Ramble On Rose" was so much fun! It really picked up the pace, and Phil was smokin, carpet bombing the place! The end jam was super nice, and Russo went totally insane into "Samson." Have they been doing it this way all along, and I've just not noticed? This Bobby & Russo only for the first verse? My god!! Absolutely mind-blowing!!!! The rest of the band came in, and he just does not let up a bit!! And yeah, "Samson" put it all into total "revival" mode! Glorious! Closing with such a rocking "Deal" would have only been considered cruel if there wasn't another set to follow. JK was tearing up the leads, and Chimenti was pounding it out with a fervor!

The less said about halftime at the Fox, the better. Bathroom? Smoke? Water? ain't gonna happen. Just wait it out.

By 2nd set, my usher boy dance companion had somehow transformed into a slinky little sister. Okay. Lights out, and, alright, "Man Smart" or "Iko"? I'll gladly accept either! "Iko Iko" it is and, yes, Russo is pounding it out while Phil is all over the place. Once more, the sound is still not as crispy as I'd dig, but the ears have adjusted quite well. During a 1st set jam, I'd mistakenly called "All Over Now," which became "Last Time" for the 2nd set, and I realized mid-boogie that thoughts of Florida were continuously creeping! With "Wharf Rat," I could have been totally satisfied with the whole experience. It was something I deeply needed to hear and, oh so sublime it was! The harmonies........ And then, of course, I've been here before! "Born Cross-Eyed" was met with roars and screams of joy; super tight and lovingly performed, I felt waves of gratitude that expanded further into "Dark Star!" My first one, this tune went so far out, so wonderfully spacey and psychedelic and, yessir, Russo can space-out quite nicely thank-you! Seriously, I'd been a little skeptical how well these guys can handle space, but no longer! Wonderful little weirdness from Chimenti kept popping in & out, Phil & Bobby went off into inter-stellar exploration, JK toying with sonic oddities; ethereal! Rising slowly out of the abstraction was the highly appropriate "Time," giving Jeff & Sunshine their showcase! And I just love Phil's vocals on this one! "Dear Prudence" took tonight's Beatle's slot, and was alternately wonderfully delicate and outright powerful. The fine, fine jam into "The Eleven" rose to considerable heights, they'd teased it the previous two nights, so there was a definite release to the tension. When it finally kicked in, somewhere in there, I got "it." Whatever attracts me, calls me, compels me to participate in this business is elusive and beyond articulation. But I found it in an instant at the Fox. The "Terrapin Suite" was pure, gooey icing that filled this crowd to overflowing joy! The "Terrapin Flyer" bit put Russo in total Apeshit mode! My God, the man is phenomenal!! A "Brokedown" encore? Yes, please!! Sweet and stately, to be sure! Melty!

I would love to note the various details of these shows, those nuances that elude words; specific jams, that particular keyboard part, those very strange sounds JK was coming up with, the obvious fun that this band had on display night after night, but to do so may do injustice to the memory and experience. Suffice to say, we have a beautiful scene and a full-on BAND to guide us like the hawks in the cloudless skies. We got to shake hands with Jeff Pehrson on the way to one more shakedown shuffle for some kind grub. As my partners and I stood by the car after Fox, preparing to head back to the mountains of North Carolina, the question arose: so, north or south? The brief moments of silent internal debate spoke volumes, but the mountains called us back.
This time......
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, Jack Jones, jbyerly
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds