• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

(canwediscusnonfurthur) ifso, anybodyat7walkersSF?

#78438 2 years, 5 months ago
i would love to read a review of that show by someone who was there, both rythem devils bobby and maria muldar! woot woot!
you know some of you had to have been there, i am kickin my self for not being there bothnights!!!!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: (canwediscusnonfurthur) ifso, anybodyat7walkersSF?

#78446 2 years, 5 months ago
why wouldn't we be able to discuss non furthur topics?
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#78458 2 years, 5 months ago
We just got back and did we have a great time! I ran down on my own on Sunday at the last minute, and I'm glad I did. A pretty excited crowd filled the hall, and the 7 Walkers and Mickey and Sikiru Adupoju on talking drum came on with an extended jam. Mickey was really going at it, pounding the drums and making fierce faces. They all sounded great and powerful together. I don't know the exact set list, but after about three or four songs Bobby came out to wild cheers and yells. It was great to see him (and all of them) up close like that. (I'm usually back and center 'cause I get squished easily and I like plenty of room to dance). Bobby came on strong vocally and musically and sounded great. I felt very lucky to be able to see them all there together at the Music Hall. It's my favorite small venue, ornately decorated and intimate, with a wooden dance floor and wrap around balcony. With the lights playing on the fabulous tye dye backdrop (are those new?) I really felt like what it must have been like to see the band in the late 60's. I think Billy even said something to that effect at one point. The crowd was great; enthusiastic, ready to have good time and party, but always really nice and with respect. I personally saw a lot of people I knew from back in the day, which was nice and kind of rare these days, and also met a bunch of new interesting fun people. The scene outside was mellow with street kids and their dogs hanging and the rest of us going outside regularly for smoke breaks. The Tenderloin is about the skankiest neighborhood I've ever seen, and it's a real trip to walk through to get to the hall. Inside the crowd was real juiced and dancing and grooving. We came back down for Halloween and that was great also, somewhat less people, more room to dance and an all around great homey vibe from everyone. Lots of friendly beautiful people, and a band(s) that knows how! It feels great to have such a fabulous family, and I love everyone sooooo much! NYE run will be fabulous, and for us as an added bonus we're also looking forward to Electric Hot Tuna with David Bromberg at the Fillmore on the following Sat, January 7. Can't fukin' wait!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#78511 2 years, 5 months ago
that sounds awesome, thanks for sharing that experience
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#78593 2 years, 5 months ago
here is the setlist...

7 Walkers (Bill Kreutzmann, Papa Mali, Matt Hubbard)
and Reed Mathis with Sikiru Adepoju
Great American Music Hall, San Francisco CA
Sunday October 30, 2011

Jam^ ->
Little Sadie (Early In The Mornin')^
King Cotton Blues^
Mr. Charlie^
New Speedway Boogie^#
Bird Song^# ->
Fever^# ->
Wang Dang Doodle^#*
Big Railroad Blues^#
Sugaree^#
Deal^#

(For The Love Of) Mr. Okra ->
He's Gone
Bottle Up And Go ->
7 Walkers
Death Don't Have No Mercy ->
Wharf Rat
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues ->
Bertha

Turn On Your Lovelight

^ with Mickey Hart
# with Bob Weir
* with Maria Muldaur

i agree with a lot of what Daisy Mae had to say. it was a cool scene, with pretty relaxed and respectful crowd. i arrived to the venue at 5:30 (about 1.5 hours before doors opened) and no one was there. kind of weird considering that Bobby and Mickey were confirmed special guests. soundcheck started around 6 PM, Papa Mali arrived around 6:15 and at about 6:30 i saw Mickey (Bobby evidently did not show up for soundcheck). anyway, my early arrival worked in my favor as i could hear thwe band warming up and was the third person in the door. i planted myself right in front of the stage and didn't move the entire night.

Mickey (along with Sikiru) came out with the band as they took the stage at about 8:40 and he stayed for the entire 1st set. he was all smiles, very engaged with the band and the crowd, and quite animated. the band was on fire right from the start, as the opening jam into Early in the Mornin' was absolutely smokin! Bobby came out for the 2nd half of the 1st set and played 7 songs. there was good interaction between Bobby, Papa Mali and Reed Mathis, but i don't recall any eye contact between Bobby and Billy and minimal interaction between Bobby and Mickey. at one point during New Speedway or Bird Song (can't remember which) Bobby was trying to get Bill's attention (Reed even tried to assist), but Billy would have none of it. it seemed like an intentional snub, but it's hard to know for sure. regardless of the slightly "stand-offish" dynamic between Bobby and Billly the band sounded great. Billy and Mickey, along with Reed on bass, were driving the band and they sounded great (I was initially bummed that George Porter Jr. was not there, but Reed was absolutely amazing on bass... he totally blew me away). the "New Speedway" and "Bird Song" were solid, and "Fever" was quite cool. then, Maria Muldaur came out for "Wang Dang Doodle". she was full of energy... dancing, singing and shakin her tamborine... and she seemed to really give Bobby a lift, as he responded very positively to her presence on the stage. i really enjoyed hearing "Big Railroad Blues" (a pretty straight forward version, but it's a great song any way you slice it). the "Sugaree" was pretty decent, and the "Deal" closer was pretty darn good. i thought the combination of Bobby and Papa Mali worked very well.

after the 1st set Bobby's amp quickly disappeared as did Mickey's rig. less than 10 minutes later the crew came back on stage with Mickey's equipment and announded to the folks at the front of the stage that he was comin' back for the 2nd set. we were pumped and not toally surprised because Mickey looked to be having the most fun of anyone during the 1st set. i'm not sure what happened, but about 5 minutes later the crew again started to break down Mickey's rig and told us that he would not be returning for the 2nd. Sikiru, however, did return and he stayed for the remainder of the show.

despite not having Bobby or Mickey on stage for the 2nd set, the crowd and the band lost no energy or momentum. the band was on fire, Billy and Reed continued to drive the band real hard, and the flow of the 2nd set was nearly flawless. the "He's Gone" and the "Wharf Rat" were superb, as was the "Lovelight" encore. i'm a huge John Lee Hooker fan and loved 7 Walkers' version of "Bottle up and Go". everyone left the hall with big smiles on their faces, as this was truly a special night that exceeded my highest expectations.
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by .
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#78621 2 years, 5 months ago
^^^that sounds so great, freakin' wish i could have been there...
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#78692 2 years, 5 months ago
Thank you tsquare for a great review! I'm not very good at interpreting verbally the musical aspects of a show. You gave a good description. I also saw 7 Walkers last week at the Hopmonk twice, and it's been real interesting being able to closely compare the shows. I'm becoming more familiar with their original pieces. I like Mr. Okra, King Cotton Blues, New Orleans Crawl. On Halloween they surpised us with 'I Walk on Gilded Splinters' from Dr. John's Gris Gris album. Of the GOGD standards I like Big Railroad Blues and Lovelight about the best, but all the songs sound good and are very danceable. I like all the musicians: Papa Mali, awesome; Matt Hubbard, a musical genius; Reed Mathis, great bassist, great smile all the time, looks like a regular guy just having fun; Bill, a monster drummer, much love to him and from him. Billy came out with a big smile on his face on Sunday, and then got serious working away at those drums. Bobby was focused, and I thought I saw Billy smile at him once when Bobby turned to look at him. Maria Muldaur was a great addition to Wang Dang Doodle, and she looked real happy and relaxed, too. I think she lives locally, also. The two shows in Sebastopol were really nice and homey, too. The room only holds about 185 people, and I was able to stand in front of the stage for a couple of songs. I like how accessable this band is. People are really enjoying their shows, and they are very danceable. Iko Iko.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#78718 2 years, 5 months ago
i LOVE "Gilded Splinters". that entire Gris Gris album is amazing. it blew my mind when i first heard it 25 years ago, and it still does.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#78751 2 years, 5 months ago
thanks so much.
any of you goin to be at the show in marin on dec. 8th with bobby wassy and jay? also other guests. 75 bucks, but its for charity.
Time to create page: 0.53 seconds