• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

"Best" of West Coast Fall Tour

#70889 2 years, 6 months ago
Now that the West coast fall tour is over and we're starting to digest all that went down, i'm curious to know everyone's favorite (and not so favorite) shows.

for me there were many high points and very few low points. all things considered (venue, vibe and quality of show) Eugene and Monterey were my favorites. the 2nd night in Eugene (09/24) and the 1st night in Monterey (10/07) are at the top of my list. the 1st night of LA was my least favorite show, but the 2nd night of LA is in my top 3. Vegas was a great show (despite all the negative reviews). i still can't figure out why so many people hated the Vegas show, i loved it! i wasn't at the Red Rocks, Montana or Utah shows so i can't speak directly to those shows, but i will say that i really wish i had gone to Red Rocks. in my nearly 30 years of going to concerts Red Rocks still remains on my bucket list, and i really need to get there.

what did everyone else think?
St.Stephenhead
Gold Boarder
Empty bottles that can't be filled

Re: "Best" of West Coast Fall Tour

#70928 2 years, 6 months ago
RED ROCKS HANDS DOWN.
Time there was and plenty, but from that cup no more
Irrenarzt
Junior Boarder

#70937 2 years, 6 months ago
Well, I missed everything but Red Rocks due to the dog getting ill but I did get some couch tour and I got to hear the Vegas show on SiriusXM. I would say the Saturday Cuthbert was damn solid, but the Red Rocks shows were overall a win. I liked the Utah show and I liked the final show a lot as well. Saturday night at Red Rocks second set on paper is so full of win its not funny but they were off key until about the first Playing. After that, they tightened it up a bunch. Sunday was an awesome high energy show. Phil was jamming all out that night.

I can't really say much as I was only at Red Rocks. Being at the show means a hell of a lot more than streaming it I imagine.
All You Need
Chester
More or less in line

#70949 2 years, 6 months ago
The saturday, sunday Red Rocks. In particular the second sets, but those were some amazing shows. I thought the 2nd Greek
show was really nice, And The Salt lake city show was very balanced, and enjoyable. I know the venue and the scene can make
a fair amount of difference in the enjoyment of a show. So these are couch tour opinions.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#70954 2 years, 6 months ago
Having seen Furthur from its inception, I have to be really honest and say that overall, this West Coast tour was the worst I've heard them play since they started this band. I was at Eugene last year and it was transcendent, as were the 2009 and 2010 NYE shows, but we've not seen them since last NYE.

We thought the first night of Eugene this year was awful, and the second night was even worse. The last night of Eugene was the best night of the three shows there but still was way off the mark. I heard the Red Rocks and Vegas shows via stream and also thought they were still way off their game. Mind you, there were great moments to all the shows I heard and experienced, but I didn't hear a complete show that I thought was great until the first night of Monterey. To me, there was an energy to that first night at Monterey - maybe it was the vibe from the history of that venue and the last time Phil and Bobby played there - I'm not sure what it was but we all looked at each other midway through the first set and said, "Bobby must be back on his meds!" Seriously, it was a fantastic show from start to finish. Yes, Bobby made some Bobby Blunders, but they were his typical blunders and not the seriously off mistakes of the rest of the tour.

We had some binocs at the Eugene show and they just looked very tired. The mistakes Bobby made weren't his usual gaffs, they were the sort where you're in your groove and suddenly you're jerked out of your dance trance because a note or series of notes is so off that it yanks you back into the present. That happened a lot this tour. I feel like so many people want every show to be "smoking" but that's not humanly possible and even with the GD, god knows we got plenty of "off nights" so it's not anything new, but it was really noticeable to me this tour. I feel concerned for Bobby more than anything else and I hope he goes to see a doctor and gets himself checked out because what I saw and heard looked like he was having serious difficulty staying on the beat, staying with the rest of the band, and in general having trouble knowing what song or part of the song he should be in a lot of the time. There were obvious chord changes or song transitions where he was way too early and the rest of the band was scrambling to catch up to him, or he was too late, or where he just forgot what song he was in. That is concerning because it can be indicative of more serious medical issues. So for those reasons, I really hope someone close to him gets him to get a complete physical check up before the next tour. Bobby, please, go see a doctor, man, and get yourself checked out, okay?

Which brings me to this - I enjoy shows as much as the next person, but I feel like these guys need to slow the hell down right now. Where's the fire and why the frenzy to be on tour nearly all the time? At their ages, it can't be easy because it's not easy for me to be AT the show, and I'm younger than they are, so being at the show and being THE show has to be harder. I got the impression that much of the problems I heard were from guys who were trying to give the people what they want, but in the end they seem to be burning themselves out from both ends. No artist - musical or otherwise - can continue to create unless they stop and re charge their creative batteries from time to time. One month off - which will no doubt be filled with rehearsals for the next tour - is not 'time off'. What I'm saying is this - there's a lot of nice things about the Dead community, but there is and always has been a certain element of pressure for more, more more! For some folks it's never enough. I'd be happy if we got a Spring Tour, a Fall Tour, and a NYE run. That's it. A string of shows twice a year - that were filled with energy and excellently played music - with plenty of time in between for the Boys to relax, re charge their creative batteries, and enjoy life. I'd rather have less shows, but of better quality, than shows all the time.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by katie mae.
The following user(s) said Thank You: illuminaughty, 23atwell
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#70958 2 years, 6 months ago
From Beginning to end I vote for Utah and First Night Monterey
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Bugaboo1
Junior Boarder

#70974 2 years, 6 months ago
I saw 4 incredible shows in Salt lake and Morrison. I was in the front row in Salt Lake (benefits of a small crowd). I have to contradict previous posts in that I thought Bobby and Phil looked rested and sounded awesome.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#70984 2 years, 6 months ago
katie mae wrote:
I enjoy shows as much as the next person, but I feel like these guys need to slow the hell down right now. Where's the fire and why the frenzy to be on tour nearly all the time? At their ages, it can't be easy because it's not easy for me to be AT the show, and I'm younger than they are, so being at the show and being THE show has to be harder. I got the impression that much of the problems I heard were from guys who were trying to give the people what they want, but in the end they seem to be burning themselves out from both ends. No artist - musical or otherwise - can continue to create unless they stop and re charge their creative batteries from time to time. One month off - which will no doubt be filled with rehearsals for the next tour - is not 'time off'. What I'm saying is this - there's a lot of nice things about the Dead community, but there is and always has been a certain element of pressure for more, more more! For some folks it's never enough. I'd be happy if we got a Spring Tour, a Fall Tour, and a NYE run. That's it. A string of shows twice a year - that were filled with energy and excellently played music - with plenty of time in between for the Boys to relax, re charge their creative batteries, and enjoy life. I'd rather have less shows, but of better quality, than shows all the time.

i think you hit the nail on the head. at this stage of the game less is more. while Phil and Bobby are doing shorter tours than the GD used to do, they are still doing multiple tours per year (spring, summer, fall x2, and NYE). heck, even for people half their age that's a lot of touring. while i'd love to see more, more, more, i'd much rather have quality over quantity.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#70999 2 years, 6 months ago
I only went to the Eugene shows. But got to hear at least a little bit of all shows. And it really seemed like everything was a repeat of Eugene. They threw a couple other songs in the mix. But the best of the tour was either Eugene or Red Rocks. I thought Missoula was a great setlist too! Bobby seemed off this tour. Every night in Eugene words were messed up. And I just shrugged it off as o they are just still warming up. He totally ruined IKYR for me Saturday night in Eugene. Bobby messed up the most important line of the song! "I wish I was a headlight...." but as I got to hear the streams and the replays, I noticed Bobby was off his game. I just really hope everything is okay with him. With canceling the solo tour to a not the strongest West coast tour, I'm a little worried. But then there were moments where Bobby really spoke to me! Especially in Ripple encore for the tour opener. He's words just literally came through the music! And in Estimated Prophet he was telling me what those voices were gonna say!

The favorite of the three Eugene shows I went to was probably Sunday night. Even though Saturday was real decent. Sunday just has a special place in my heart. I think cause I was really absorbing everything that night. It was my last night in Eugene and after a fantastic journey I was enjoying a fantastic show.

I could only imagine how powerful Red Rocks was. With such natural beauty as the backdrop behind FURTHUR must have really set the tone right there.

Bobby did great playing wise. But I'm a little worried about him singing. Maybe give a few more tunes to John... Phil is blowing me away at his age seeming like he never misses a note! Jeff is incredible. Night after night he was taking it furthur. His playing is so powerful. It really outshines the others. It really stands out. He is wonderful! I also think it has something to do with him playing Brent's organ. Joe is great. And I can't ever get enough of John. I'm really glad to see him there. And the singers are always a nice touch.

And I just want to say thank you to the tapers who brought us the recordings, streams, replays of the shows this tour. Without you we couldn't be able to experience like we were on the whole tour. we are o so lucky to do because of you! Thank you for keeping the couch tour going!!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by FurthurFlower67.
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#71005 2 years, 6 months ago
It would be nice if people explained why they liked one show over another instead of just saying "so and so was the best" because that doesn't tell anyone why you feel that way. Just a suggestion.
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds