• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Bee_Hoo_UB
Fresh Boarder

Re: Set List Thurs. 10/6 The Greek, LA

#69677 2 years, 10 months ago
DELETED
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Bee_Hoo_UB.
Bee_Hoo_UB
Fresh Boarder

#69680 2 years, 10 months ago
Lands End Drums wrote:
Well now, wow! 6 hours of sleep over the last 2 days but it's all worth it! Last night, the magic was there again!

Crowd was a bit of a bummer around us, had to move around quite a bit to find an area where people weren't there an an excuse to just get high and talk with friends. Pay attention to the music people! The guy behind me leaning forward an dpuking on my seat made me realize I can hurdle rows like an Olympic athlete!

But the show!!! Sugar Magnolia was pretty off IMO, felt forced, lacking energy and there was just something not quite right about it. But then Cassidy!! Wow!!! Does it get any better than that?!? Colors Of The Rain I wasn't familiar with, found it pretty enjoyable, anytime Phil sings anything is special no? Here Comes Sunshine took me by surprise, bit rough at first but found it's footing at the end there, very nice! Is there a song in the universe with a more beautiful melody? Peaceful Valley was also a new one to me, again I enjoyed it very much. And then things really transcended with Time! I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan (even had a Floyd cover band a couple decades ago) and this was just absolutely beautiful but the Death Don't was just exactly perfect, chilling, beautiful and then Ripple to top it off, we knew exactly who the band was playing for. Doesn't get better than this.

Short(er) break and we're off with Dear Mr. Fantasy and into The Wheel, love this arrangement of The Wheel, was a big highlight for me, of course the whole show was one long highlight! UJB great as expected, Mountain Song was wonderful and then the Rider out of the blue was a real nice surprise, little unfinished business from Vega$! Other One with Phil dropping bombs, heaven, what else could they play this evening but Saint Stephen? Dancing like a maniac nice to be brought down to Earth with an absolutely beautiful So Many Roads, sweet jam into the UJB reprise and nice to know we'd have time for a proper encore! What other way to cap off this evening but a beautiful Attics?

I'm sitting here in the office with a big 'ol smile! It's not dementia due to lack of sleep, honest!

I started to read this and was like, "this is so weird, this guy had the same experience as we did"! Then I realized who you were LOL. yeah, good and accurate review! Except the 4th song was Here Comes the Sun, not Here Comes Sunshine . But I'll chalk that up to the 6 hours of sleep in two days.
hunter
Fresh Boarder

#69685 2 years, 10 months ago
My first Furthur show.

First set Cassidy was great. The close with Time, DDHNM, and Ripple was phenomenal. The middle part, so-so. Fitting and poignant tribute to Jerry with the last two songs of this first set (first 'Jerry' songs of the concert nearly had me in tears).

The second set was flat out excellent. Too many excellent songs to mention. St Stephen, Wheel, UJB, etc.

The Boys achieved some lovely, ethereal epiphanies many times througout-- a bit like old times. Definitely not the same as a Dead show -- but I'll take it just the same.

The curfew has always existed for the Greek. That's why the show starts earlier than normal. Beautiful locale on a nice nippy evening.

As an old east coaster, and having gone to shows on both coasts back in the day, I'll take a West coast show any day of the week (except for Hampton!). It may lack the 'energy'-- because it's mellow! No need to diss on the LA location either-- no one is interested in seeing this music unless you're a true fan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
hunter
Fresh Boarder

#69697 2 years, 10 months ago
Additional obsevations:

Phil as the unquestioned band leader is very impressive. Truly driving the music, whipping the others into shape when required (man-- you can hear him communicating through his total domination of his instrument)-- what a master.

Bobby was pretty darned subdued really. Loved the Attics to close. Freaking mellow-- and felt once again like another Jerry tribute. Having lost my wife to cancer recently (at a young age, no less), the DDHNM, Ripple, Rider, and Attics really resonated emotionally on many levels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
maredwar
Junior Boarder

#69728 2 years, 10 months ago
Sorry about your loss Hunter. Furthur has certainly helped me.

The show is up on the Archive for your streaming or downloading pleasure.
www.archive.org/details/furthur2011-10-06
FareTheWell
Fresh Boarder

#69743 2 years, 10 months ago
hunter wrote:
Additional obsevations:

Phil as the unquestioned band leader is very impressive. Truly driving the music, whipping the others into shape when required (man-- you can hear him communicating through his total domination of his instrument)-- what a master.

Bobby was pretty darned subdued really. Loved the Attics to close. Freaking mellow-- and felt once again like another Jerry tribute. Having lost my wife to cancer recently (at a young age, no less), the DDHNM, Ripple, Rider, and Attics really resonated emotionally on many levels.

Sorry to hear about your loss Hunter- I have to agree with you here, Phil was an excellent conductor all evening. Love hearing Colors of The Rain again. This is a lovely Furthur Phil tune that has potential to stand with the classics. Well developed with room to build. Also, Mountain Song was a nice treat- Phil’s son wrote this number I believe...
..ain't going to be treated this ole way.
hunter
Fresh Boarder

#69775 2 years, 10 months ago
Marcus,

I too am sorry for your losses, and tribulations as well (I read some back posts). Remarkable similarities with mine in many ways. BTW, i am originally from DC (now in LA), and my first shows were Hampton '84!

Hang in there, keep celebrating, and above all else, always cut yourself slack!
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#69782 2 years, 10 months ago
If I was in a band I'd boycott any venue that imposed a curfew period. I know that is probably easier said than done but still...
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
maredwar
Junior Boarder

#69786 2 years, 10 months ago
hunter wrote:
Marcus,

I too am sorry for your losses, and tribulations as well (I read some back posts). Remarkable similarities with mine in many ways. BTW, i am originally from DC (now in LA), and my first shows were Hampton '84!

Hang in there, keep celebrating, and above all else, always cut yourself slack!

What a coincidence. I grew up in Montgomery County, Md, and spent a couple of years in Annapolis. Used to take the Metro to RFK Stadium. Instead of California, I moved to NC. Talk about culture shock!
hunter
Fresh Boarder

#69805 2 years, 10 months ago
I agree from a distance with your view on curfew.

However, upon closer inspection, it is really about respecting your neighbor(s). The Greek is a great venue. Small, beautiful, no cops, limited and very mellow security-- and a plethora of great acts. Nearly perfect.

The boys are going to play about 3-3.5 hours, curfew or not.
Time to create page: 0.53 seconds