• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

Re: Setlist Red Rocks 10/1

#66975 2 years, 12 months ago
I know the set list looks unreal and perhaps it is but there was something weird about this show. One of the few furthur shows I've been too that was flat or something, the vibe wasn't there for me. I' d take Friday any day over Saturday. Maybe it's just me but I know others around us were scratching their heads as well. Maybe today will be that rockin RR show....
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#66977 2 years, 12 months ago
Don't get me wrong Saturday had it's moments in the second set. Dew was amazing.. Just not one of my favorite shows..
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#66979 2 years, 12 months ago
Thanks so much Chester for driving the train last night! & to Sunshine Sue for driving it the past few nights!! I was gonna update the setlists for everyone last night but something came up. Amazing second set! I love dark star sandwiches! & I predicted a Pink Floyd tune at Red Rocks!

I would love to give my energy to one of these updates of the setlist. Pencil me in for next weekend!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, SunshineSue
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#66987 2 years, 12 months ago
Josh wrote:
Be careful, taper.tsquare, you don't criticize Furthur around here.

Dont worry Josh! T squared is a huge fan of Furthur! We all have our thoughts on what we love and what we like! We never dislike anything from Furthur! We are all to Grateful for that!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#66997 2 years, 12 months ago
great looking show have to hear the replay decided to spend time with the wife and cat on the couch. thanks for posting the replay links chester
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#67023 2 years, 12 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
I know the set list looks unreal and perhaps it is but there was something weird about this show. One of the few furthur shows I've been too that was flat or something, the vibe wasn't there for me. I' d take Friday any day over Saturday. Maybe it's just me but I know others around us were scratching their heads as well. Maybe today will be that rockin RR show....

I will have to agree with you on this man. The song selection was very good, but it did not get off the ground has high as I imagined. Please do not hear what i am not saying. I am not saying the RR shows thus far are terrible. In fact each have had their moments of grandeur. Last night in Eugene and Utah seem tighter sounding and running on all cylinders so far this leg. Then again, sometimes its hard to match the hype RR gets for the band.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
terrapin_blue
Junior Boarder

#67410 2 years, 12 months ago
Wow, people DIDN'T dig that?!

Second set was by far the best music I'd ever seen, and everyone around me was blown away. Flat? That is because the crowd was so spun that no one could even dance or sing. Best example on recording was the pause for "mojo hand" during caution, the entire crowd thought the song was done, in the middle of the line. On the recording you can hear the song end scream and then just screams of like fear and excitement when they drop back. I talked to so many people that were like "I thought the SET ended there. TWICE"

It was un-fuckin'-believable in every way to me, and a lot of people I've talked to and were around. The knots they tied with songs was taken to a whole new level, the sound was dripping with psychedlia the entire show. Jam>Eclipse from set break?! Wow. The caution, dew, dark star, and every little crevice between was so well done, in my opinion.

Anyway, whoever said that second set is going to change lives is damn right. Never had a show that was even half that life changin' and I've seen them quite a bit.

P.S. Could definitely see the east coasters not being as stoked, as I know a lot are more ratdog fans. It was a straight up, west coast, phil and friends x a trillion show. Bobby hardly sang, and the tripping vibe was thicker than jelly.
Last Edit: 2 years, 12 months ago by terrapin_blue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, PMoondancer
dogdog
Junior Boarder

#67618 2 years, 12 months ago
I'm not sure where people were standing or dancing that didn't connect with this second set, but I was at every Grateful Dead show at Red Rocks since 1978 (except the very first), all The Dead shows, and some Phil shows, and this second set rated among my all time favorites. From where I was (maybe row 15) it felt epic to me. Awesome. Friday seemed like it never fully launched, but Saturday to me was another animal.
"Love still rings true."
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#67669 2 years, 12 months ago
alright, i apoloigize for my delays in the reviews, sleep is more important at this point, although we've passed the halfway point of the tour, we are really just getting started for this 5 night bender in 3 cities to close things off...well saturday night red rocks, going to be the most epic show of the tour right? i don't know, i don't think so, you decide..

OMSN opener, tossed the idea around the RV early in the day, sure enough..glad they did this, don't like the predictability factor as an encore..this version was good, they were getting comfortable for night 2 (bobby in his vest) playin around setting a "party" mood...sittin on top of the world was very cool, john was wailing away--the jam during this seemed longer than usual, a lot more exploratory and then finding it's way back to a final verse, ironic choice seeing as that up in the mountains, you are a step closer to SOTOTW..mexicali blues, 2nd time i believe, 1st was hampton, it was not bad bob sounded good, i got a sliver in my foot (yeah my shoes were off--i know, what were you thinking? well, until you feel the energy that venue has to offer including from the ground, on the surface, and from the cosmos, don't even bother with a snide remark) i danced away trying to get it out, but never did until way later..before peaceful valley started, john was shooting these intense hand signals around, mainly it seemed to bob and russo, seeing as that their setlists are pre-written i was wondering what it could mean..tempo? length? who knows..not a bad tune, i like hearing JK sing it, if you listen to the lyrics, it almost seems fitting he does it (although i'm sure it's at phils request)..the jam led us to a FUNKY stagger lee...it was really interesting..i love the synth noises jeff makes and the entire groove of it is just, well, strange--it'splayed maybe once a tour by these guys so i was happy to hear it..next time you see me, a classic, to me just doesn't sound right from this lineup..sounds forced, bob often struggles with the lyrics, nice novelty but nothing to look forward to..gimme some lovin seemed to be oddly placed within the setlist..it chugged along but got better toward the end, and the outro jam was very very nice leading us to around and around, another odd placement in my eyes/ears..it was pretty good they really deconstructed this one, and i'm glad because as a set closer, i was thinking, what else could they do with this song?

overall this set was rocky..it did not have the energy from the band nor the crowd, and this can be attributed to many songs rarely played, and some songs people just weren't in tune to..i remember thinking..wow, saturday night red rocks, sleeper first set, it was too strange

second set opens up with a really nice jam, and i really couldn't figure out where it was going, but phil seemed to get louder and more aggressive as it went on, the group chemistry is displayed here, and into eclipse, very cool, i had a feeling we'd hear a floyd tune here, phils vox weren't the greatest but they weren't bad, george thinks it was a trainwreck..really great jamming takes us to the mountains of the moon, a favorite of mine..phil sang his heart out, even a little coarse at times, but i tell you, this band took that song to the actual mtns of the moon...the movements between the verses were long deep space exploratory journeys, both jeff and john individually at separate jams taking the helm of the ship, jeffs work was flabbergasting, i was scared by how raw it was..st stephen brought all the space cadets back to earth briefly..i remember thinking wow this is one of the greatest st stephens, but it was a jinx, shortly after there was a vocal flub with two different parts being sung, after more space exploration we reach the dark star, weaving in and out of galaxies far beyond comprehension, these guys know exactly how to tap into this one..the eleven blasts the energy right back up and they actually hit the intro, something i am constantly bitching about..caution caught me by surprise, wasn't expecting a 2nd on the tour but it was good, bob was in excellent form and they used their vast knowledge of dynamics to make this one to remember..mountain song, probably my favorite of the newer batch of tunes these guys dished out in the past year or so..was really good, during this this spun out couple maybe 26 years old stands in front of the group directly next to mine, and they tell them to scram and find somewhere else (we were down in the 18th row, waited in line and claimed tarp space) they just moved down directly in front of where i was grooving...as bothered as i was, i stayed quiet and twirled around hoping they'd get the hint or maybe their awareness would kick in, i don't know, so anyways a great mountain song and they digress down into playin, and this is when i kind of pick up my own energy and it is obvious t hey are in my way, so i politely ask them to find somewhere else and the dude tells me he is going to stand there however long he wants, well, i continue dancing and he starts to push me like i'm in his way, and all of a sudden these big dudes who just booted them move in and tell the dude to fuck off and the kid continues to put his hands on me and saying stupid shit, and i just kept dancing and ignoring, enjoying the music, and eventually he realizes he's fighting a losing battle and leaves, his girl running the other way..lesson to learn, don't fuck with red rocks tarpers, heheh really though, quoting george "AWARENESS"..the playin was fun, a lot shorter than usual but that is because of the nature of the set..the jam finds its way back out to the dark star, where we continue to float through space, and then it comes..the dew..a lot of debate not only on the RV but everywhere about when it would pop out..it was awesome..john nailed it..i was thinking afterward how it is really one of those songs that is played one way, and only one way..and he gets it, vocally and instrumentally..a reprise to make things full circle--if i am not mistaken, the playin in eugene the 2nd night opener was never finished, and a reprise never followed

uncle johns band was a killer encore, hitting the length of about 2 songs...the entire group sounded great, and i am not 100% on this, but have they ever encored uncle johns band?

to me, this 2nd set was one of the most powerful sets this band has pumped out, it was a beast from start to finish.phil (as most times) was the all star of this one, leading the way, and spinning minds in circles...and it is funny because the 1st set could not have been any different, albeit good, it did not have the energy or magic the 2nd set had...so far that 2nd set has been my favorite of the tour...it was one of the most "jam heavy" sets i've seen...it was constant one after the other relentless exploration of the depths of the universe
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, PMoondancer , strangerinboulder
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#67672 2 years, 12 months ago
These reviews are wonderful, Burt, thanks so much for taking the time to do them! : )
Chester
More or less in line

#67679 2 years, 12 months ago
Great review WLewis. Thanks.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#67684 2 years, 12 months ago
you're all so very welcome....the people wanna know!
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds