• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

Re: Setlist 9/28 Salt Lake City Ut.

#65613 2 years, 11 months ago
They got a nice groove going on sunshine!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecinut
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#65619 2 years, 11 months ago
And they're not letting up on Foolish Heart! Jeff is incredible!!
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#65622 2 years, 11 months ago
Great transitions so far into fooling and lovelight
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#65654 2 years, 11 months ago
wow tonights show really looked good, apparently I fell asleep before the last few but great way to close
Chester
More or less in line

#65723 2 years, 11 months ago
I honestly think, that was the best show of the tour. That having been said, I think they can only get better. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#65739 2 years, 11 months ago
I agree this sounds like the best show of the tour so far, though that Eugene Dark Star sounds mighty fine..
A couple or random thoughts..
Alligator...JK really lets loose at the end jam, funky and fat notes fly off his guitar...he even teases Mountain Jam at one point..anyone else catch that?
FOTD...wow, this sounds great, again JK stepping up big on his solo, the whole band just bringing it and a huge cheer for the Utah line seems to pump up the band...I dig this rearranged version with great harmonies
Big Railroad Blues..A new opening riff by JK to start the tune! very cool, rock n roll, baby! one of my favorite tunes played at a high level
Here Comes Sunshine..great jam, band sounding so confident, tight yet somehow raw at the same time..again JK sounding more assured, taking more chances
>Foolish Heart...so tight, I love how they all sing the end line "to a Foolish Heeeeaaaarrrt" and then Jeff's piano solo builds so beautifully as the gets fired up and by the time JK solos the x factor is there, firing on all cylinders, Phil especially just rages on this...just awesome emotion..goosebumps..it just keeps going on and on..
>cool transition into Lovelight, not the smoothest but it works and when they hit the opening notes it's ON...I like this song in this slot after FH..it seems to slow considrably at one point in the middle but then JK just rages on his solo to bring it back up...that is, until Weir pulls a classic full stop>little bit higher rave up..

This show is a great example of how Furthur keeps it fresh, so many little changes to songs and interplay in the jams that is unique to this band but somehow within the GD language we know and love, familiar but new
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by sjfgreenman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, PMoondancer , bokb
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#65912 2 years, 11 months ago
utah what a trip, beautiful scenery, we got to the venue a few hours early, barely anybody in the parking lot..hung out, cleaned out the RV, talked to local law enforcement (who were surprisingly cool)..one side of our view was beautiful mountains, the other was an interstate, the best of both worlds heheh...barely any scene before the show..the venue was interesting appeared to be a nice small AHL hockey arena...sound was pretty decent, but not optimal, phils bass seemed to be bass heavy again, and i couldn't hear weirs guitar as well as i could in the past few shows..

i saw jk pick up the slide and mess around i was expecting a passenger opener so the cosmic caught me off guard but it was awesome, great way to open a show, awesome crowd energy..loose lucy was very well played bob was right on with the vocals and the jams were nice and funky..alligator, was waitin for it, pretty solid, i love the way jk handles the vocals to this sound, he gets all mean and starts grumbling, its great...i was expecting a friend of the devil because of the utah reference and was not let down, it was fantastic, crowd going nuts during the utah line, but the song as a whole was given a great spin, seemed like bob was ready to end the tune and phil jumps in with his extra verse, the place again going bonkers...good placement for deal, had the place building up everybody rockin, jk again just soaring..big railroad blues was another tune i wasn't expecting even though they infrequently play it, was cool, great to see them continuing to dig thru the catalog into the 5th show of the tour...doin that rag is one of my favorite songs furthur does that GD dropped from their repertoire..i think john really enjoys playing it..and there is the passenger i was expecting an hour ago, a good way to leave us for setbreak, electric...

the venue was not very big but the crowd size even for the venue was tiny...barely anyone in the seats, and a spacious floor..smoking section was the entire front area of the arena, a nice change from the previous nights closet space in missoula, the smoke free campus...i asked several security guards there where the smokers section was during break and they kept telling me there wasn't one but a fellow roadtripper guided me in the right direction

here comes sunshine was a nice laid back way to open the set, really fluid like playing, john twisting things up, weir doing some great rhythm work..john was hinting at the foolish heart that would follow pretty heavily and they flew right into it, doing a great job him and jeff just beautifully working that jam, phil was thumping, hitting those beautiful runs, as russo kept everything in check..they've come a long way since first spearheading that tune..lovelight kept the place moving bobby yelping and all as they deconstructed into a poetic colors of the rain..i love this tune, so happy hunter is still writing lyrics for these musicians..watchtower was kind of a snore, i'm not the biggest fan of it so maybe it is me, but bob was spacing the lyrics too much it was just dragging..terrapin was beautiful, i called it, and no one believed me.."no man they are saving it for red rocks blah blah" no sorry they are saving it for the few of us who came out to utah..comes a time to follow was awesome, i think jk puts the necessary emotion into this song..an interestingly scary we love you was a nice nod to utah ..i was feeling a not fade away encore but they just flew into it, leaving the place in smiles..us blues was one of the better versions, but still a little slow in my opinion..

overall this show kicked ass it was my personal favorite of the tour in terms of playing..venue sound was not perfect but it was good where i was down in the center floor...i feel bad for anyone who skipped this show
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, Chester, PMoondancer , neverstop66, bokb, SunshineSue
Utard
Fresh Boarder

#65966 2 years, 11 months ago
Great show. This was my first time seeing anything other than one random ratdog show since Jerry died (saw 15 GD shows before he died). I haven't been avoiding them, it's just that in the 16 years since 1995, no other amalgamation has come my way and I haven't travelled for music much since then. Furthur was the one I wanted to see, though. They are a great combination of the right tones, and adventurous arrangements.

The one thing that struck me as strange was the tiny crowd. Do they draw bigger crowds most places? Utah is not a big grateful dead state, for reasons I can't really understand (especially given our large ski bum contingent). Look at the setlists for the dead. They played the state something like 5 or 6 times in 30 years. I am guessing we did not really provide the turnout they are used to, and it finally occurred to me last night that this might be why they've never played Utah often.

Granted, it doesn't bother me. But, it was strange that I could push almost as close to the stage as I wanted. My memories are of mailordering and/or wait in line all morning to get tickets at the back of a football stadium.

In case anyone in the band's management reads this - come back in summer and play red butte garden or one of the park city ski resorts' summer series. I think you'll get a bigger crowd, and in any event, I'll have a good time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, PMoondancer , Jasper
Jasper
Senior Boarder

#66001 2 years, 11 months ago
I even thought a similar thing in Eugene, mind you they sold out two? Nights I think, but I could still work my way up front if I had wished. Now that might well be partly due to the laid back pleasant crowd, but I was conscious of the relative comparison. Its all relative though to the times I guess.
ecinut
Fresh Boarder

#66980 2 years, 11 months ago
SLC was a memorable show, the band was really into it, the fans were great (sloppy, beer cups and containers everywhere), the vibe was like a high school picnic, the authorities looked the other way and allowed some hemp burning from somewhere in the venue, nice to have the aroma to go with the show.

"We Love You" and "Watchtower" were strong, I had just been listening the the old Stones' London Years CD a couple weeks before the show and that period (Satanic Majesties' Request) was always a fav of mine. Dylan did a Derek & The Dominos-styled reworking of Watchtower when he was out here last year, the arrangement at the Further show was hypnotic and equally fresh.

That drummer is a powerhouse, good catch to land him for the band. Phil was inspired as always, Bob pulled out some surprises and commanded the stage for "Not Fade Away" at the end there, heck everybody was just in the groove, I was totally stoked. Did not know what to expect going in to this (nostalgia? phoning-it-in? auto-pilot?) but it was truly a praise-worthy performance. Awesome work, thanks for coming out to the Salt Lake!
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds