• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Eugene Set List, Saturday 9/24

#63698 3 years, 1 month ago
alrighty folks, got to meet up with rockinbob and kick it before the show, grate dude... again everybody else who talked up a forum gathering blew it off...one of the mysteries of the world, why people go out of their way for months talking up a communal gathering only to blow it off...ouch...this platypus spent countless time now wasted creating lists, updating the lists, calling people, posting on the forum, leaving messages...whatever, we are having a blast the energy on the RV is great i also noticed the intensity of the group energy in the pit during part of the first set when we were together, but really in a broader sense, the entire crowds energy was higher last night than previous nights, not quite at the max level i think it needs to be at but that night will most likely be tonight..alright the music

playin opener george called it, confirmed in the tune up, it was not out of this world but it was pretty well played, i feel like they got in this rut with jk playing very 71 esque jerry licks every single time they played it, and it was all too often on even the smallest of their tours, but last nights was fresh, the only complaint was a little sour section in one of the beginning verses i believe it might have been phil because he was shyly laughing it off, and i'm pretty sure it was one of those rare times where bobby gets to look at phil like "hey what the fuck man"...phil hinted the crazy fingers and off they went it was really nice but again one sour section where john just completely forgets a couple lines, and the following line ends with "but i tryyyyyy", the crowd went into an uproar, much love and appreciation for what he is doing with these guys, it was a special moment, big bad blues was where the show picked up, it was extremely well played, i personally dig the hell out of that tune, jk solos in it were so relaxed, not forced, just great complementing chimenti's organ....jeff and sunshine sounded fantastic and as always i love the energy they bring, brown eyed women was awesome, one of the better versions i've seen these guys put out, the entire crowd was rockin...just like tom thumbs blues was STRONG i thought phils vocals were right on... "and my best friend my doctor, won't even tell me what it is I DROPPED"...."goin back to NEW YORK CITY, i do believe i've had enough"----phil hinting at the east coast shows but also i sensed some distaste for his fairfax situation with the terrapin project, as he sometimes nods to fairfax or san anselmo there..catfish john bust out was AWESOME, they played it at a faster tempo than garcia band did, kind of similar to the studio outtakes GD did of it they put on the re-released terrapin station CD thru the beyond description box set..well played though, bob singing vocals did not matter, he sounded good, he was in great form all night, a good thing to see...throwing stones was pretty good it did not stand out to me but i didn't forget it, casey jones to close the set was perfect, crowd was loving it and they brought the energy up step by step at the end and did it so well...

set break was kind of interesting, definitely noticed how much more packed it was than friday, nice big water spigots with multiple holes for everyone to quickly fill or sip without a backup, saw some dude getting dragged around in a vicious headlock, strange scene

back in the pit 2nd set rolls out with a really beautiful jack straw, was hoping phil would have some bigger bombs but maybe they will get dropped all over tonight, segue into a kickin bertha, the vocals sounded pretty damn good better than many other times with this tune, jk and jeff were trading some serious licks at the end, same in jack straw before...estimated prophet was SCARY, the good scary..bob was doing great the entire band was cohesive on this and bobby was howling louder and more frequently than most times, it was a treat...dark star was very unique some deep exploration and interesting grooves throughout, and i prefer when it is played straight thru as opposed to broken up within a set or show..caution was good, again bob was killer, phil wasn't quite as intense as he normally is with this one..seemed shorter than usual as well..they dropped into the milleninum jam and of course found their way into the eleven, but it was a trainwreck intro, they almost consistently botch this, and it seems like jk is always the culprit...WORK ON IT!!, but eyes of the world was highlight, phils vocals right on, nice swing tempo, another moment of synchronicity amongst the crowd...i also really liked black peter, and that is not a usual occurance, not sure why but furthur versions don't do it for me a lot, and it's played often, but last nights was good..china rider to close the set was a perfect choice, good transitional jam...saturday night was basically a given but it was rockin!!

another awesome show, i liked this night better than the first i thought the jams were more exploratory and i sensed more comfort, and a better balance of sound although phil is still a little bass heavy, low volume on his mids and highs..i'll say it again, the crowd energy was a few levels higher this night as well...tonight is going to be something special

i am getting the impression we may see a bust out each night of this tour, 2 for 2 so far, let's keep it up boys, you sound fantastic, and the tour is just getting warmed up..by the time we wrap around red rocks they are going to be on fire

we will be on lot today with the golden arrow, come find us, if not, your loss
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Chuck_Woolery
Visitor

#63708 3 years, 1 month ago
Great review... ya you could tell from the pics that bob was on. Awesome venue. I wish I could make it to shows outside the SF bay area.. you guys are fortunate
irishqueenie
Senior Boarder
let there be songs to fill the air!!!

#63727 3 years, 1 month ago
welll set list looks so good - esp 2nd set- hubs and i would have been in heaven - i love a bertha and he is a jack straw freak! but i waited for a live stream until 11:45 est and NOTHING! so i went to bed- don't even remember weekend update on SNL so i guess i was beat!
to those of you who did get a stream you were lucky!
oh well thank God for archives!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#63731 3 years, 1 month ago
wow, what a show last night! the band sounded fantastic and it was a great follow up to Friday's opener. today is overcast, windy, and we're in for a bit of rain. it'll be a soggy Sunday adventure, but i think it'll be another monster show to close the weekend.
Jasper
Senior Boarder

#63759 3 years, 1 month ago
Hard to add wlewis review, they were really smoking in some of those transitions, you can tell how their comfort level is growing to let things loose a bit. I imagine the weather here is easy on them, nice and comfortable last night and the crowd had a easy groove. Tonight should totally blast, you can almost sense them structuring this three night run music selection as one extended show with two long...... Set breaks!

J
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#63770 3 years, 1 month ago
great reviewlewis i totally get being upset with people who say they are going to show and dont i dont think they understandhow mush effort goes into planning a meetup and howfrustrating /dissapointing it iswhen people dont show anyway whens the platypus gonna debut ?WE WANT THE PLATYPUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#63783 3 years, 1 month ago
wlewis and deahead420... sorry i could not get to the gathering yesterday. doors opened at 5:30, and in order to get my preferred spot in the taping section i had to get in early. i'll look for the platypus costume today on my way over to the venue and hope to see you guys.
Chester
More or less in line

#63807 3 years, 1 month ago
So, does DH420 have possesion of the platypus?
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Chester
More or less in line

#63817 3 years, 1 month ago
Chester wrote:
So, does DH420 have possesion of the platypus?

Or is it the other way around? Lol : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#63818 3 years, 1 month ago
my understanding is smiley has the suit and needs to meet upwith DH420
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
dogdog
Junior Boarder

#63857 3 years, 1 month ago
Well, kids...I passed out on you last night during Rider. Won't be joining y'all tonight online; I've been getting up to work at 6:30 A.M. the last two days after staying up after midnight listening and trying to listen and conversing about things Furthur and beyond. Tonight I'm bedding down early.

Have fun! Hope you get a stream (for those not in the show). Can you say Terrapin!?
"Love still rings true."
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#64234 3 years, 1 month ago
thanks for the setlist , sue.
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds