• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Tom Banjo
Visitor

BOYCOTT THE MANN IN PHILADELPHIA

#45215 3 years, 2 months ago
I think we should BOYCOTT THE MANN CENTER in Philadelphia. The shit they pulled there was just ridiculaous, ucalled for and wrong! Hippies are not violent people... the security guards at the Mann were very violent!

It all started when they charged us 15 dollars for a vending spot and then told us that we would be arrested if we tried to vend (we were selling food) and there would be no refund for the vending spot we just purchased. Some people did vend and many got arrested.. meanwhile, nitrous was everywhere (although we saw some of them get arrested too).

However, the shit at the entrance was totally wrong and this is where the violence occurred. If they were going to check people to the degree they did, they should have opened the doors earlier. I paid for my ticket and made a long ass trip only to miss the first 3 songs as did hundreds of others. I saw a security officer push a woman down (who was doing nothing). I saw a child and a pregnant woman getting shoved by security officers. I saw one security officer threaten to punch a man in the face. I saw one security officer actually hit a hippie! The riot that ensued was ridiculous, caused children to get hurt and caused hippies to yell at hippies. In the end run, the security didn't find one thing or turn one person away... they just stalled us to be assholes. Again, if they are going t check us to the degree that they did, then they should have opened the doors earlier and opened more gates. In fact, there were 2 gates at the main entrance (one on each side) that were not being used other than for the occasional security guard to gain entrance. Inevitably a riot ensued and the security was overwhelmed. Instead of that, they should have just let us in.

I SERIOUSLY THINK THAT FURTHUR SHOULD NOT PLAY ANY FURTHUR SHOWS THERE AGAIN. I was able to enjoy the music after I gained entrance, but I heard so many people who couldn't manage to regain a fun attitude after the emotional entrance... even I was shaking when I finally made it in. We were all shell shocked and needlessly so. The whole thing was totally uncalled for and was evident of a vicsiousness of the security guards. I know I won't go back there and I am sure that most who endured the shit at the entrance will not go back there either. If you did not make the Mann this year, don't go next year if Furthur plays there or anyone else for that matter. The Mann made is clear - THE MANN IS AGAINST HIPPIES! AND THE MUSIC OF FURTHUR AND THE GRATEFUL DEAD!

BOYCOTT THE MANN BOYCOTT THE MANN BOYCOTT THE MANN BOYCOTT THE MANN!!!
Josh
Junior Boarder

Re: BOYCOTT THE MANN IN PHILADELPHIA

#45755 3 years, 2 months ago
I agree that "Shutdown Street" was a drag this year, but the cops did drop the hammer on the nitrous thugs, which I loved. However, shutting down t-shirt and food vendors was not cool.

The Mann is the easiest place to get in to and let me offer some advice: They let you inside on the grounds OVER AN HOUR before they let you in the auditorium - they just won't let you into the seating area.

So I casually stroll in an hour before showtime - no lines, grab a soda - no lines, lie down on the cool grass and wait five minutes for the auditorium to open, find my seat and relax for an hour chatting with other heads - no muss, no fuss.

If you wait until 5 minutes before the show is supposed to start and think you're gonna breeze right through the gates, it's your own fault and you're gonna end up listening to most of the first set getting frisked. Stop whining and use some foresight and common sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, illuminaughty, killwhyT
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#45768 3 years, 2 months ago
I'd say the same thing about going in early. I was fairly late getting into the lot so after parking, I pretty much just walked right to the venue. Yes, there was a major line but people were basically cool and so was security. Took ten to 15 minutes to go through the gate but I was still in my seat with time to spare before the band came on.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#45905 3 years, 2 months ago
my experiences at that venue for the three furthur shows has been so positive i have come to the conclusion i cannot boycott it, regardless if someone had a negative experience...instead of taking the easy way out, maybe the staff/band/fans can get together and solve the problem, another 2 sets and double encore maybe
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#45909 3 years, 2 months ago
Overall, I'd say the Mann is more hassle free (and a little cheaper) than the venue in Camden, whatever it's called this month.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#46041 3 years, 2 months ago
I thought this venue was great with the exception of the bottleneck getting in. I did go in a little late but made it for the first song and a few minutes to spare. I will say this tho, they should be able to accommodate entry faster. One gate for the whole venue, there should be more then one entry point. Fire show tho!
IggyHoff
Junior Boarder

#46105 3 years, 2 months ago
i have to agree with Tom Banjo's take on the Mann security. I was there for the first Furthur show in 2010 and everything was cool. This year, they were frisking everybody and they went fishing around in my pockets because they felt a glass pipe I had just purchased in the parking lot. I have been to over 100 Dead/JGB/Furthur shows, plus hundreds of other concerts and I don't ever remember security putting their hands in my pants pocket. They were extremely harsh and were not going to let me in the show. WHen I protested that the pipe was brand new, unused, and legal, they consented to let me come in, but then another security guard cam over and frisked me even more and felt around all my pockets looking for a stash, which he found and then through in the garbage. He said "bye, bye" but I insisted on coming in as any "contraband" I may have had was now in the garbage. He let me in, but I have to say it was hard to enjoy the show after that encounter. The nect night at PNC in New Jersey, the security did a reasonable superficial search for weapons, etc., but didn't frisk people closely or put hands in their pockets. I don't know if I'll skip another Furthur show at the Mann, but I think the management should hear from us about the harsh security. They also got rid of the relatively decent and healthy food selection they had in 2010 for the standard stadium junk food selection. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, even though the band was great and the 2nd set really rocked. ALl in all, PNC was much cooler the following night.
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

#46115 3 years, 2 months ago
The easiest search for me was raleigh. Security gaurd had a little stick that he pretended to tap my pockets with.

The next night I went in before my buddies. Went over where the rain tent was beside fence and they handed everything to me could have bought anything into that place
GOOD LOVE
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#46260 3 years, 2 months ago
sorry to hear it i got in no problems brought a soft cooler in they didnt search me at all its about attitude i walk up put my handsin the air hold out anything i got in my hands they almostt alweays let me in .body language is very effective learn to use it
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: St.Stephenhead
toddyfurthur
Fresh Boarder

#59820 3 years, 1 month ago
I was not there but I can relate, especially the hardcore searching causing a backup and frustration as they should notify and post the level of security and give enough time to properly & orderly allow patrons to enter the facility also advise people of the issue and reccomend early entrance..They not only are they trating their patrons like cattle they are losing out on thousands of dollars vending...What kind of a business treats there customers like trash....Security is important in their book but it does not mean you treat the customers like terrorists...I guess because security is so important they give the security team run of the mill and the power and authority to do what they did....Not good business practice and I am sure its not the only time the backup happens and they know it and just love their power and control trip to be assholes because their life sucks and they are owned and a slave to society and faulty disfunctional personal life to boot..They cant stand to see people soooo happy and smiling, It's quite sad that people are so insecure with themselves and a low self esteem that they feel the need to put people through their same hell when they have an opportunity...AND THAT IS THE REALITY OF THE SITUATION...I reccomend everyone possible to contact corporate headquarters for the facilty an inform and complain of the situation in total disgust and mention the point they are also losing money....That shit happened to me at anahiem stadium the dylan and the dead show in 88 i think. They seached hardcore it backup for hundreds of yards at multiple entrances it was almost 100 degrees in temperature people got frustrated and impatient and started charging the gates my buddy had my ticket with his as the crowd rushed i llost vision of my buddy and i got shut out of the show without a ticket i was also locked out of his car too where I had my only cash this is before cell phones of coarse to top it off I just ate a large cap and had to go through a bummer trip not getting in and hearing the stadium Roar and shake like thunder from phils bass as they were blowing it out big time almost getting in like 3 times then not...The only show I got shut out on, so i gues i cant complain.
Time to create page: 0.78 seconds