• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

Mansfield 7/21/2001 Setlist

#42717 3 years, 2 months ago
Furthur
Comcast Center
Mansfield, Massachusetts
July 21, 201

Set I
Aiko Aiko>
Passenger
Doin' That Rag
Loose Lucy
Althea
Mission in the Rain*
Two Djinn
Might as Well

*First Mission in the Rain by the band (Weir)

Set II
Foolish Heart>
Hard to Handle>
New Potato Caboose>
Estimated Prophet>
Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain>
King Solomon's Marbles>
Dear Prudence>
Not Fade Away

donor rap

Liberty
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by Bakes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GKB, funky420, Abba
Slewfoot
Junior Boarder

Re: Mansfield 7/21/2001 Setlist

#42729 3 years, 2 months ago
I cannot believe Bobby sang Mission, what a bummer. Sick setlist otherwise!
Bakes
Platinum Boarder

#42730 3 years, 2 months ago
mansfield.jpg
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#42731 3 years, 2 months ago
I won't have an opinion till I actually here the version. Nice looking setlist, though.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: nastero
nastero
Junior Boarder

#42736 3 years, 2 months ago
Equinox wrote:
I won't have an opinion till I actually here the version. Nice looking setlist, though.

Exactly. Though my heart tells me he'll butcher it and my preference would be to hear JK sing it, I will withhold judgement until I actually hear it. Bobby has done a fair job with Sugaree, Brokedown Palace, and Black Peter, and I even sort of enjoy his occasional sharing of lyrics on China Cat, so it isn't out of the question that he'll do the song justice.
Bakes
Platinum Boarder

#42739 3 years, 2 months ago
Here's a Ratdog version from a couple years back.

SplitWindowBen
Fresh Boarder

#42753 3 years, 2 months ago
Ratdog version sounds good to me...go Bobby!
You've been there since day one, if anyone should sing it, you should!
kfender
Gold Boarder

#42802 3 years, 2 months ago
I'm sorry but at no time should Bobby be singing this tune!His voice can't hit the notes the way they deserve to be hit.I don't care if he feels a connection to certain Jerry songs,his voice isn't suited to them all.I would prefer they didn't play it at all if their not gonna let John sing it.His voice is obviously better suited for the Jerry tunes.I love the Mission and woulda loved to hear it.But i woulda been bummed once i heard Bobby singing.Don't get me wrong I love bobby but he doesn't do the slow jerry songs any justice if you ask me.Just my opinion
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
sceezo
Fresh Boarder

#42820 3 years, 2 months ago
My two cents:

These days, with bass player Phil Lesh in his 72nd year of life, things start on the early side. The show was called for 7, and by 7:15, in classic Grateful Dead style, the musicians were on stage and taking a few minutes to make sure their instruments were in tune - this is called ‘noodling’ in technical Dead-speak. A rollicking Aiko Aiko opening set the tone for a fun evening of music, kicking off with Joe Russo setting the Bo Diddley style beat on his drum kit, with Weir playing along on tambourine. First set highlights included a nice Passenger, a hot rendition of the Garcia classic Althea, a gorgeous version of Mission in the Rain (first time played by the band), and a rocking Two Djinn, one of my favorite Ratdog originals. After an hour or so of music, break time! Everybody hydrate!
The second set kicked off with a nice version of Foolish Heart, although I felt the band’s timing was slightly off for the first few songs of set two. Following Foolish Heart Weir stepped up to sing a spunky version of Hard to Handle, the classic Otis Redding tune. The extended jam after the first go round left the band the challenge of regrouping, which I would say they did only semi-successfully. A sweet New Potato Caboose sung by Phil was next, followed by a somewhat lethargic Estimated Prophet that only got going towards the end of the jam. Perhaps the heat was taking its toll!
As Weir himself often has said, there are songs about disaster impending and then there are songs about disaster narrowly averted. The same might be said about shows. This one was at a critical juncture, and it was a question of which way it would go. Thankfully, the closing 45 minutes were spectacular and fun, extremely well played, and certainly worth the price of admission. JK kicked things up a notch with a spirited Scarlet Begonias, which snaked its way into a long and winding jam. I had almost begun to despair of the Fire on the Mountain when Phil suddenly stepped forward and dug into the opening bass riff with abandon. The crowd went wild as a strong Fire, with a great organ jam by Jeff Chimenti, brought the music into the “deadosphere.” Possibly the best played song of the evening followed, a tremendous version of King Solomon’s Marbles. The sweetest Dear Prudence, sung by Bobby with a soaring guitar solo by JK was a moving late show selection. A spirited, albeit slightly short version of Not Fade Away closed the show. Liberty encore was nice, a personal favorite, and Bobby sings it with political conviction.
Over all, a good time had by all. The band is clearly playing well, and if this show wasn’t over the top, the Mission breakout and the great series of tunes with superb playing from the Scarlet to the end of the show made it well worth the trek. Simply said, as long as the band keeps playing, and in my opinion playing very well, I’ll keep going! And that, folks, is a wrap! Thank you for a real good time!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba, Bakes
Bakes
Platinum Boarder

#42839 3 years, 2 months ago
Nagdammit Weir, you took a great song and turned into a beer run. The playing is fine, but the vocals, oh the vocals!

Okay just listened and to the sweet Jeff Frank recording on the archive and I can revise my review now after hearing the whole thing. Weir TOTALLY BUTCHERED MISSION!!! WTF?? ANY BAND MEMBER SHOULD SING IT OTHER THAN WEIR. LOVE YA BOB BUT WTF? Rant over.
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds