• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: Jones Beach 7/17/11

#41943 3 years, 1 month ago
"how are the shows stacking up against the spring tour ?
the set lists look nice but without my laptop I can't catch any real time discussion or streams
hows it going ?"

as good as the spring tour was I think these shows are even better - the playing last night at Jones Beach was incredible, that Weather Report/Let It grow was a major highlight but they are so into it, playing so good and loving it so much. dosn't get any better!

Bob's voice and guitar are both sounding perfect in the mix which was a problem during some of the spring tour (I noticed at Wallingford and the Best Buy shows but RCMH was much better) the sound this summer is great - they def made some changes for the better.
6StringRider
Junior Boarder

#41997 3 years, 1 month ago
Hey deadegad i took the Rocks Off bus too! We probably saw each other lol. And yeah Shakedown was fun, and police free.

deadegad wrote:
A solid show! The venue is very nice but the no booze policy except for the -- Pure Graft & Corruption Vol. 2 -- VIP Tent is a disgrace. There is a strong State Police presence which is necessary and good as long as they left the Shakedown Street area alone -- they did. I took the Rocks Off bus from Manhattan which was fun and convenient. On to Holmdel!!!!
Watch this: youtu.be/eAaQNACwaLw
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadegad
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#42425 3 years, 1 month ago
after being stuck in traffic for 3/4 of the way there we finally got to the parking lot around 3 or so...nice shakedown goin on, waded in the water (never got wet cuz we we're doin that rag) walked around burned had a couple beers, got shook down by the police briefly over a beer bottle (oh yeah now i remember why i stopped coming here....) but the show was a great time...i thought the band was playing pretty well with a normal sunday of 3 nights type energy style...

i called the samson and delilah opener i knew we'd get our sunday sermon...dear mr fantasy to follow suit was a complete surprise to me...normally a second set tune with very few exceptions by this group, great version though john sounded good...black throated wind is a mediocre version, bob never etting it to that full potential at the very end but a good run nonetheless....then the debut of jack a roe....i have been calling it for a tour bustout for quite some time and i figured i'd eventually be right...it was pretty good not great, good contributions from jeff..tom thumbs was awesome i love phil...(but how about a broken arrow now!?!?) brown eyed women>throwin stones>shakedown street was a really solid trio to cap the set...i thought the energy progressed with each song successively to the very end...

wrs suite had the same pattern of energy...the prelude/pt 1 were not very great (very few of them are, unfortunately)..bob has trouble playing some of the chords and he is the first one to let everyone know when he's messed up (vicious head shake, the look, the laugh--whichever it is) but they recouped and the let it grow was one of the better versions i'ver heard...they really explored the hell out of it...the segue to half step was very nice and it was a good version minus weirs vocal flubs by not being ready to trade lines with jk....some of the songs it sounds cool on (even this one) but if you can't hit the timing or lyrics right what's the point? he's gone was beautiful...the segue jam at this point leading into dark star is killer, i was feeling a dark star and eventually it comes into play...the jam to the first verse really nice, and then the jam from v1 to v2, it was sped up quite a bit, and phil was playing all sorts of jazzy and classical riffs, they brought everything back to reality with an unbroken chain ..this dark star was in the top 3 best i've seen this band perform, it was interesting and innovative from beginning to end...unbroken chain was good, the jam was losing its balance at times but it came out to be good...i had a feeling we'd hear the wheel because phil was teasing it earlier..great wheel--i really liked the vocals (they are sometimes easily botched) and phil dropped a nice bomb at the very end...good lovin was above average weir really getting into it the whole band was clicking...

brokedown encore was pretty messy due to bobs vox

overall i really liked the show, it had the vibe the band was winding down from a long hot weekend, which is fine because most of us were in the same boat...highlight for me were jack-a-roe bust out and the dark star

what i did not like was weir on this particular night...he was lost quite a bit on his guitar at times...and vocally he did not deliver, and really pissed me off during brokedown, and us blues encore the night before...either hop to it learn your stuff or let john sing these tunes..i'm sick of hearing them botched on a regular basis...i don't care if he wants to sing any song he wants, as long as he does i t correctly.....i love bobby i just want him to be at 100%....
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#42843 3 years, 1 month ago
wlewis wrote:
after being stuck in traffic for 3/4 of the way there we finally got to the parking lot around 3 or so...nice shakedown goin on, waded in the water (never got wet cuz we we're doin that rag) walked around burned had a couple beers, got shook down by the police briefly over a beer bottle (oh yeah now i remember why i stopped coming here....) but the show was a great time...i thought the band was playing pretty well with a normal sunday of 3 nights type energy style...

i called the samson and delilah opener i knew we'd get our sunday sermon...dear mr fantasy to follow suit was a complete surprise to me...normally a second set tune with very few exceptions by this group, great version though john sounded good...black throated wind is a mediocre version, bob never etting it to that full potential at the very end but a good run nonetheless....then the debut of jack a roe....i have been calling it for a tour bustout for quite some time and i figured i'd eventually be right...it was pretty good not great, good contributions from jeff..tom thumbs was awesome i love phil...(but how about a broken arrow now!?!?) brown eyed women>throwin stones>shakedown street was a really solid trio to cap the set...i thought the energy progressed with each song successively to the very end...

wrs suite had the same pattern of energy...the prelude/pt 1 were not very great (very few of them are, unfortunately)..bob has trouble playing some of the chords and he is the first one to let everyone know when he's messed up (vicious head shake, the look, the laugh--whichever it is) but they recouped and the let it grow was one of the better versions i'ver heard...they really explored the hell out of it...the segue to half step was very nice and it was a good version minus weirs vocal flubs by not being ready to trade lines with jk....some of the songs it sounds cool on (even this one) but if you can't hit the timing or lyrics right what's the point? he's gone was beautiful...the segue jam at this point leading into dark star is killer, i was feeling a dark star and eventually it comes into play...the jam to the first verse really nice, and then the jam from v1 to v2, it was sped up quite a bit, and phil was playing all sorts of jazzy and classical riffs, they brought everything back to reality with an unbroken chain ..this dark star was in the top 3 best i've seen this band perform, it was interesting and innovative from beginning to end...unbroken chain was good, the jam was losing its balance at times but it came out to be good...i had a feeling we'd hear the wheel because phil was teasing it earlier..great wheel--i really liked the vocals (they are sometimes easily botched) and phil dropped a nice bomb at the very end...good lovin was above average weir really getting into it the whole band was clicking...

brokedown encore was pretty messy due to bobs vox

overall i really liked the show, it had the vibe the band was winding down from a long hot weekend, which is fine because most of us were in the same boat...highlight for me were jack-a-roe bust out and the dark star

what i did not like was weir on this particular night...he was lost quite a bit on his guitar at times...and vocally he did not deliver, and really pissed me off during brokedown, and us blues encore the night before...either hop to it learn your stuff or let john sing these tunes..i'm sick of hearing them botched on a regular basis...i don't care if he wants to sing any song he wants, as long as he does i t correctly.....i love bobby i just want him to be at 100%....
sorry to hear about the police harrassment. thanks for the review !
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#42935 3 years, 1 month ago
I had a blast here spent the day on the ocean side beach then lounged in the shade. Llstened to the Jack a roe soundcheck and was thrilled when they played it. The BEW was kick ass and was exactly what the cat sitting next to me was Jonesin for.
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds