• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

Re: Set List Phil & Friends, Central Park 5-28-2014

#326602 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Sorry the talkers detracted from the stream. I got there early and got down front where people were really into listening. I thought both sets were tremendous. Lots of trippy interplay between Warren and Scofield and it was such a blast to watch Phil. There were times he was actually laughing he was having so much fun. How could it not be a great show? Phil was leading this band but most of the other players are successful bandleaders in their own right.

And yeah, that second set was a thing of beauty. Matter of fact, they were on such a roll that after Terrapin, they were ready to go into yet another song when they realized what time it was and had to stop. Guess they were as much in the zone as we were. Phil was actually apologetic, saying "Sorry, but we're up against the toughest curfew in the country!" Even so, this was definitely a show worth leaving home for.

One other cool thing: I got to meet Sam Cutler. He was sitting by the merch booth signing copies of his fine memoir You Can't Always Get What You Want. Very nice guy. Spent almost ten minutes regaling me with stories of touring with the Stones. Apparently he's at all the Cap shows too.

And one last thing: SWEET JANE!!!!!!!!!
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, nycdave, SunshineSue, Strider1, pink11
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#326607 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Equinox wrote:
One other cool thing: I got to meet Sam Cutler. He was sitting by the merch booth signing copies of his fine memoir You Can't Always Get What You Want. Very nice guy. Spent almost ten minutes regaling me with stories of touring with the Stones. Apparently he's at all the Cap shows too.

And one last thing: SWEET JANE!!!!!!!!!

Wow, Equinox, I'm so excited for you, what an amazing opportunity to meet Sam. What stories he must have!!

And I was so glad when Sweet Jane came up, both for you and for pink11, you were meant to be there!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Equinox, pink11
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#326611 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Sue, there were people I talked to last night who swore that Sweet Jane was the highpoint of the show. I wouldn't go that far. That Other One was just sick! But it was definitely one of the highlights.. Certainly the best of the versions I've heard.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cub, SunshineSue
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#326629 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Lou Reeds Sweet Jane? Wow!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#326638 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Denver Man wrote:

It's turned up a couple of times at recent Phil shows. What I like is that Phil includes the long intro that was part of the version on the Rock N Roll Animal album.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Equinox.
Chester
More or less in line

#326641 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Equinox wrote:
Denver Man wrote:

It's turned up a couple of times at recent Phil shows. What I like is that Phil includes the long intro that was part of the version on the Rock N Roll Animal album.

I was wondering what Phil's inspiration was, and thought maybe Ross had something to do with it.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
pink11
Platinum Boarder

#326644 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Chester wrote:
Equinox wrote:
Denver Man wrote:

I was wondering what Phil's inspiration was, and thought maybe Ross had something to do with it.

Yeah, I'm thinking it is Ross all the way. I think he used to cover it with American Jubilee or the TFB? And maybe oh sweet nothing too? I'm waiting for them to break out " rock & roll"!
Still looking forward to hearing the sweet jane from Rob's archive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Equinox
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#326835 1 month, 3 weeks ago
284.JPG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Equinox
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#326836 1 month, 3 weeks ago
285.JPG