• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
jk420
Junior Boarder
At least I'm enjoyin' the ride

Grate night at the Ratdog show...my review

#308793 6 months, 1 week ago
OK so here's my take on the show overall...

I'll start by saying that Bobby's performance was outstanding, I thought....voice, sound, enthusiastic, really good show by him.
I'd give him and the setlist an A overall, so for me that made the night. First set was killer with the 2 JGB songs ending the set. Second set was bluesy and more mellow, but good song selection.

BUT, I have to be honest and give some criticisms to the band....

I thought Kimock was lost most of the night and missed so many cues to solo or "noodle" around a bit. JK is much tighter with playing the GD tunes. Kimock did not impress, I thought.

THe 2 bass players did NOTHING to enhance the band, and I love Wasserman! (I am a touring musician who plays bass for 20+ years, so that's from my perspective as a player). I was expecting much more from his performance. I really actually missed Phil's bass lines in so many places.

Jay Lane did nothing to enhance the performance either and I've seen him with furthur and primus multiple times, so that surprised me. He played the normal beats fine but NEVER did any cool fills or tricky off-beats. He was either disinterested or maybe told to reign it in. I dont know. But I thought he was boring as hell compared to Russo. Again, I am a fan of his too.

Even Chimenti, who is always solid as hell, seemed low in the mix, and needed to be more featured for me. But he was the next best performance to Bobby's.

Now all this said i had a great night and look forward to the Capital Theater shows. Great vibe...I needed this with no Furthur. But there is no way this band ROCKS the way Furthur does when they get it going, IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, SunshineSue
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

Re: Grate night at the Ratdog show...my review

#308837 6 months, 1 week ago
thanks for the revue.
i have seen no shows this tour, listening to some.
i dig what your saying about jay lane, he is alot like the bobby of drums, either he takes it to whole other level, or he just punches in, and even then hes better than most.
i LOVE WASSY. everything the man has ever done. his trios album is off the chain if you are bass player, its Trios of ALL BASS. check it out.
i love the effect that Steve is using at times, but yes he hasnt let loose loose yet. and when he does. GOd help us.

again thanks for the review, it seems so many people think a setlist is a review. i like opions.

hope you all have happy trails and see yall down the road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jk420
gdrew817
Junior Boarder
All I Leave Behind Me Is Only What I Found

#308879 6 months, 1 week ago
I agree. I play in a local GD tribute band and don't understand why Kimock was selected to play in Ratdog. Mark Karan is a much better lead guitar player which is what Grateful Dead music needs in order to be good. Kimock is way too passive and doesn't know how to solo with emotion and pride or build to a climactic point with any sense of melody with any consistency. A damn shame - I keep wondering if something happened between Mark and Bob.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#309136 6 months, 1 week ago
I respectfully disagree about Kimock. He does have that I dont give a shit look about him but I dont think it applies to his guitar playing. I personally love the notes he can hit and he is bringing that psychedelic vibe to the band. Jay Lane has been great too I think but you are right he is no Joe Russo. Still a great drummer and I love his style with Ratdog. Of course I have not seen these shows live soooo ... but from listening on the streams ...
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#309201 6 months, 1 week ago
Denver Man wrote:
I respectfully disagree about Kimock. He does have that I dont give a shit look about him but I dont think it applies to his guitar playing. I personally love the notes he can hit and he is bringing that psychedelic vibe to the band. Jay Lane has been great too I think but you are right he is no Joe Russo. Still a great drummer and I love his style with Ratdog. Of course I have not seen these shows live soooo ... but from listening on the streams ...

I actually agree with Denver man. I used to think Kimock was good at noodling but didn't go beyond that. I think he sounds really good on this tour. I like Karan and I like Russo a lot but ratdog sounds really good to me this tour and the choice of players was weirs

I draw the line when we start talking about Kimock versus JK. I much prefer JK in general but I think Kimock fits nicely with rat dog.
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by rippleish20.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#309222 6 months, 1 week ago
Kimock is the man, that's why he was chosen over Mark

I bet Bob would of rather had him stay all along after 2007 but brought Mark back when he got better feeling it was the right thing to do... but now getting the band back together a few years later Bob obviously wants to roll with Steve instead.

nothing against Mark, just saying that's how it seems...
jk420
Junior Boarder
At least I'm enjoyin' the ride

#309231 6 months ago
I really thought Kimock was lost all night...and that's not saying he's not a great player. Obviously he is...but he does not compliment the music the way Jerry did or JK has done in Furthur. It's not a comparison of who's a better player, but more of an informed observation based on seeing the GD dozens of times and watching Furthur grow since 2009.
Last Edit: 6 months ago by jk420. Reason: spelling error
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#309232 6 months ago
Geez rippleish20 you say that like you are shocked that you agree with me
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#309234 6 months ago
And now for something completely shocking. I also agree with both DM & Rippleish. Who would have ever thought this would happen?
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#309239 6 months ago
nycdave wrote:
And now for something completely shocking. I also agree with both DM & Rippleish. Who would have ever thought this would happen?

I agree with you all.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds