• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
JerrysKidsSince1979
Fresh Boarder

Can you say Elitist?

#303572 6 months, 1 week ago
Does anyone else feel this is a horribly elitist way to end GD's touring legacy? I feel this is a real stain on their image. What am I missing? Not saying these guys don't deserve a nice vacation, but 2500 people at those prices? And you can't tell me Furthur is coming back. GD for a 50th reunion? Maybe. Furthur II? Not so much. They should have ended on tour, not at a gated enclave in a foreign country.
ol chicken scratch
Junior Boarder

Re: Can you say Elitist?

#303575 6 months, 1 week ago
Always a hoot
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

#303577 6 months, 1 week ago
Always remember this is a BUSINESS! These guys are making a living whether they need it or not.I am hoping they come back in 2015,God willing!
JerrysKidsSince1979
Fresh Boarder

#303578 6 months, 1 week ago
Perhaps that sums up my feelings the best. Our beloved idols of a time not so long ago are now a business. Oh well, we took a lot more good out of the ride than bad so best of luck to them all and let's keep those fingers crossed for 2015.
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#303583 6 months, 1 week ago
JerrysKidsSince1979 wrote:
Does anyone else feel this is a horribly elitist way to end GD's touring legacy? I feel this is a real stain on their image. What am I missing? Not saying these guys don't deserve a nice vacation, but 2500 people at those prices? And you can't tell me Furthur is coming back. GD for a 50th reunion? Maybe. Furthur II? Not so much. They should have ended on tour, not at a gated enclave in a foreign country.

I don't see it as elitist. First of all, they are not the GD so this is not the end of the GD touring legacy - Jerry's death was. Its a band with a couple of the members of what was the GD, who have grown older and have different priorities now than when they were younger, formed because Phil and Bob enjoy playing and wanted to keep doing so. Phil is getting older and doesn't want to tour, whats wrong with that? Did you expect them to announce a hiatus and then tour for a year? You still wouldn't have necessarily been able to go to the 'last' show(s) because of the cost. I live on the East Coast, flying to the last west coast tour and going to shows would have cost as much as Mexico. Perhaps the problem is your expectations. I'm not trying to berate you in any way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if Mexico or the P&F Capitol exclusives or whatever rub you the wrong way thats fine, but I, for one, disagree.
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by rippleish20.
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#303588 6 months, 1 week ago
it's not like u cant see Bob, Phil, Mickey, Bruce, Donna Jean, and (maybe) Billy in some form or another this year.
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#303589 6 months, 1 week ago
I would imagine touring at their age has got to be ruff even with people caring for your needs .
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#303594 6 months, 1 week ago
rippleish20 wrote:

I don't see it as elitist. First of all, they are not the GD so this is not the end of the GD touring legacy - Jerry's death was. Its a band with a couple of the members of what was the GD, who have grown older and have different priorities now than when they were younger, formed because Phil and Bob enjoy playing and wanted to keep doing so. Phil is getting older and doesn't want to tour, whats wrong with that? Did you expect them to announce a hiatus and then tour for a year? You still wouldn't have necessarily been able to go to the 'last' show(s) because of the cost. I live on the East Coast, flying to the last west coast tour and going to shows would have cost as much as Mexico. Perhaps the problem is your expectations. I'm not trying to berate you in any way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if Mexico or the P&F Capitol exclusives or whatever rub you the wrong way thats fine, but I, for one, disagree.

Alan, you do have to admit they are promoting, perhaps unintentionally, an elitist vibe to some of their shows. This is more than ones opinion also. The fact of the matter is the prices for shows, especially TXR, the NYE ticket fiasco, this very expensive Mexico cheese, a finite group of people are going. And yes throw in this Cap theater gig with Shapiro is not what the band ever represented. I have said this ad nauseum, and yet doesnt seem to gain any traction here. The business model was always there, but was never used as an excuse to promote the band in such a way. They played for heads first and foremost. I will once again repeat my same question. If Furthur is worth 100 bucks a show, then what the hell would have the Hampton Shows billed as the warlocks have been worth? They ahould have played a NYE run at BGCC and called it quits.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by newyawker.
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#303595 6 months, 1 week ago
When Phil and Bob can practically sing, "With fifty years (of Grateful Dead) upon my head," they are entitled to play wherever they want. I am grateful that we get to participate in this festival that begins the hiatus. And I look forward to the future return of Furthur as long as the good lord willing, if he says they may... May we be forever grateful for the joy of the music!
Thank You Jerry
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by Sustainabill.
slipknot!75
Fresh Boarder

#303597 6 months, 1 week ago

I don't think it's elitist at all. I can't afford to go, but I would if I could. There is nothing elitist about it. It's special. I haven't really been able to afford to go to shows in years. I always have to sacrifice something in order to see a show. I remember when tickets were $10 to go to a show.

And I have no clue where you get this "you can't tell me Furthur is coming back" stuff from. The word hiatus actually has a meaning. They say they are taking a hiatus and I take them at their word. For you to just arbitrarily decide that it's the end and that the guys in Furthur are LYING to you....well that's just crazy talk.

I think that certain people just have a compulsive need to complain and you must be one of them.
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds