• Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Jaitch
Fresh Boarder

Plea to Phil

#286821 11 months, 3 weeks ago
If anybody has Phil's ear, would you please tell him his goddamn bass is too f-ing loud? I mean, come on, man, it's ridiculous. You drown out the entire rest of the band. Listening to the show last night at the Greek was like trying to survive combat. And it's a disservice to the music when all the audience can hear is killing levels of bass. Excuse me now, I must get back to rearranging my internal organs.
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

Re: Plea to Phil

#286839 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Phil too loud? That's a good one..
The following user(s) said Thank You: theothrone
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#286840 11 months, 3 weeks ago
No!
westyvw
Junior Boarder

#286845 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Been wanting him to turn it up at the last few furthur shows I saw. Maybe it was where you were standing?

I dont want to hear a Phil bomb, I want to FEEL a Phil BOMB!
stellarbrews
Junior Boarder

#286895 11 months, 3 weeks ago
In rock music, the mix among instruments is rarely optimal, is it.

Usually we just adjust the bass and treble on the sound system.

At concerts, the bass travels long distances better, due to long wave lengths propagating more efficiently, so those sitting at the back of the amphitheatre will perceive relatively more bass tones that those closer to the front.

Also, if the keyboard doesn't work the bass keys, then the bass player has most of that frequency range all to himself, and you do hear the bass louder while the keyboard, guitars and vocalist are competing for the midrange.

As a bass player, I do like Phil to be high in the mix, but...I do agree that he is loud. He was painfully loud in Seattle a year or two ago, when they opened the second set with Passenger that blew me out of my seat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaitch
Jaitch
Fresh Boarder

#287049 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Stellarbrews, thanks for the insights. Interesting about the bass wavelengths relative to distance. I was standing dead center in the "pit", maybe 20 ft from the stage. And I was wearing earplugs, to boot. Still it was just excruciatingly loud, especially during the 2nd set. Well, lesson learned. Next time I see Furthur at a similar venue, I'll place myself way "furthur" back and see if that is better. It would be nice to pay their not uncheap admission price and be able to actually hear some music.
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#287057 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Phil too loud? Really? I guess in all the shows I have had the priviledge of experiencing I have yet to be at one where I felt Phil was too loud, but hey, people vary.

Now, if you had said Bobby's awful car honk peddle was too loud, now THAT is a train I get get on! Good god, how can he think that shit sounds good?!? I love me some Bobby but dide must be deaf if he thinks that peddle sounds good, and he uses it on nearly every damn song now. Its just so not good.
Longmont
Junior Boarder
spent a little time on the hill

#287079 11 months, 3 weeks ago
It might be impossible for Phil to be to loud. As great as he sounded at Red Rocks, my only complaint was that he was to quiet in the mix. I was seated in his "sweet spot" and could not get enough.
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#287089 11 months, 3 weeks ago
IMHO Phil's bass is not loud enough. Except when he's tossing out Phil bombs. To ask Phil to turn his bass down is as dumb a post as any I have ever seen out here. My response is that if it is too loud for you don't come to shows. Just sayin'
angrybuddhist
Fresh Boarder

#287092 11 months, 3 weeks ago
I heard the soundchecks for Berkeley. the equipment imo was not up to standard, venue was a joke. not to mention uc Berkeleys blue shirt gestapo. I love the boys but didn't think this venue was worthit.
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds