• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
dogdog
Junior Boarder

Re: CANANDAIGUA RAINOUT SCAM

#272885 1 year, 1 month ago
In contrast, my last experience at Red Rocks was much different. Greensky played in the rain, and there was a long break before Galactic who played much longer than one would expect. It was 10ish when Railroad Earth came on, and I was thinking they would play just one set (though they advertised two). Instead, they took a short break and the second set was epic. I think it was 1:30 A.M. during their encore.

I remember a SPAC show in the '80's when Grateful Dead played through a storm that cut out power for seconds at a time during massive lightening and thunder. The Wheel had moments where they would lose sound but the drummers never missed a beat and the band kept playing on.

Been to many shows where I was amazed bands kept on keepin on. If the stage is sufficiently covered and grounded then only wind should be an issue.

Check out Like a Hurricane with Neil Young and Crazy Horse in rain damn near horizontal in the wind at The Gorge - the movie is Year of the Horse. Jim Jarm flick. Awesome. I was there.

So, has there ever been a lightening strike death in a crowd at a show? I've never heard of one, and I get nervous sometimes cuz I was once knocked unconscious with a buddy in the mountains.

Ain't it good to be alive?
"Love still rings true."
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#272888 1 year, 1 month ago
Cutting the show short may have been a blessing! The sound was horrible, vocals were incomprhensible and keyboards dominated the other instruments. Musically it seemed each individual was doing something different no real cohesion. The set lists were mediocre at best but thats just my opinion! I have been to plenty of shows where song choice wasn't my cup of tea but the jams were phenominal and overcame my personal preferences to make it a great show, not so much in Canadaigua! Just calling it as I see it, hopefully we all have better luck next time!

This is Joe's friend who was at the show. I just did not have a good time. I couldnt cancel my hotel either it was too late.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by newyawker.
stricken
Gold Boarder

#272890 1 year, 1 month ago
rippleish20 wrote:
I personally think you guys need to move on with your life. I don't think they were trying to scam us - there was a threat from Severe Thunderstorms and they stopped the show. Just because you didn't see an immediate threat and just because the threat didn't materialize doesn't mean there wasn't a real threat. Rain checks made no sense - when exactly were they going to come back? They ideally should have returned some of our money but I'm not going to spend the next 6 months bitching about it. I thought the last Portchester show where Bob had problems was a worse scenario than this one (they should have refunded all of our money) - they should never have gone on stage to begin with.

Everyone will have there own opinion but here you are bringing up the show from spring so your really just blowing hot air and your entitled to speak your mind HOWEVER no risk of safety materialized. AND yes if my uncle had no balls then maybe it is my aunt. Did you spend 120.00 in fuel did you spend 10 to park and 35 for ticket along with 100 for a room. Not to mention food on the road.
And just to let you know in 10 years i still have as much right to bitch as you do or dont so thanks for the advice but save it for someone else i need it like i need another hole in my head.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#272891 1 year, 1 month ago
Even though I know they will never go to Meadowbrook again I am calling for NH > Coney Island > Bethel > Cooperstown next summer and I will definitely for sure come out again! Meadowbrook is totally underrated, other than The Joint in Vegas, it is the ultimate place for a concert. Condos a 5 minute walk away, you cannot beat it.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder

#272892 1 year, 1 month ago
rippleish20 wrote:
I personally think you guys need to move on with your life. I don't think they were trying to scam us - there was a threat from Severe Thunderstorms and they stopped the show. Just because you didn't see an immediate threat and just because the threat didn't materialize doesn't mean there wasn't a real threat. Rain checks made no sense - when exactly were they going to come back? They ideally should have returned some of our money but I'm not going to spend the next 6 months bitching about it. I thought the last Portchester show where Bob had problems was a worse scenario than this one (they should have refunded all of our money) - they should never have gone on stage to begin with.

I did move on with my life, I flew back to Colorado and am sitting at work. Like sticken said ... there is a lot of money, time and effort down the drain for that show. When there is money involved you, me, everyone has every right to bitch about it. I did not want a refund I did not want a make up show, I know that is unrealistic, but taking a 30 minute break to let the storm blow over is what they should have done and even that would have been overly conservative. You have to at least try to take that show to the end, they did not try at all. Period.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stricken
stricken
Gold Boarder

#272894 1 year, 1 month ago
Denver Man wrote:
rippleish20 wrote:

I did move on with my life, I flew back to Colorado and am sitting at work. Like sticken said ... there is a lot of money, time and effort down the drain for that show. When there is money involved you, me, everyone has every right to bitch about it. I did not want a refund I did not want a make up show, I know that is unrealistic, but taking a 30 minute break to let the storm blow over is what they should have done and even that would have been overly conservative. You have to at least try to take that show to the end, they did not try at all. Period.

Should have said head to your cars for cover and we will make a decision in some type of time frame. Would that be to much to ask for it would have at least given those who were drunk a 30 minute window to sober up. At this point the announcement to get in your cars and go home was risking lives by putting drunks out on the road. If anyone got a dui or in a accident i would encourage them to use that in a court of law.
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

#272912 1 year, 1 month ago
I am a veteran of several humungous lightening storms at various shows.God only knows how I survived.I fully believe that powers that BE believed you folks were in serious danger,looking out for you safety! END OF STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DrippingColors
Junior Boarder

#272918 1 year, 1 month ago
I was there. Canandaigua is a great place for a show. The band played for approx two hours with an hour break. The first set was great. The rain dampened the spirit of the second set, but had stopped when the show was cut short. People talking about some kind of refund have apparently not been to see a lot of other bands, who routinely play for far less than two hours. The lawn was $30, not exactly gouging. The police allowed all kinds of vending and other activities. Beer was way cheaper than the east coast. I saw at least one security guard dancing. I was pissed they called the show, but Phish and other bands were called the same night around the country because of the storm. It barely rained after the show. There was crazy sideways lightning in the sky, and a couple of boomers that might have presented a miniscule amount of risk, but it was deadly risk. Someone got nervous, that's all, and it obviously wasn't the band. I think I can determine when my own safety is at risk. They could have let lawn people into the partially empty amphitheater. It was still way better than NJ the Friday before where it rained all day and the crowd was cold, windswept and wet. Half a show is way better than no show. I hope the naysayers stay home next time, it will be easier to get tickets.
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by DrippingColors.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder

#272928 1 year, 1 month ago
I am grateful for any chance I get to see these guys and I too thought the show was great leading up to the false freak out. Other than the blistering heat I thought CMAC was one of the coolest venues I have been to. In addition you do not burn all your vacation time, dip into the savings account for tickets, flights, hotels and rental cars if you are a naysayer. If I was a naysayer I would nto have a stack of tickets for fall tour. I have been to alot of concerts myself and have never ever experienced a show ending early because of rain. So I am venting my frustation over that. I did not call anyone names or do anything mean I just stated my opinion. I am, as most of us are, a shareholder for the Bob and Phil business, I mean seriously I have invested enough money in the business to be able to say what my opinion is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, DrippingColors
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#272930 1 year, 1 month ago
Denver Man wrote:
Even though I know they will never go to Meadowbrook again I am calling for NH > Coney Island > Bethel > Cooperstown next summer and I will definitely for sure come out again! Meadowbrook is totally underrated, other than The Joint in Vegas, it is the ultimate place for a concert. Condos a 5 minute walk away, you cannot beat it.

Big bummer on the show cancellation.

Why do you think Meadowbrook is done DM??? I agree it was a great venue in a great place. Sure, it is easier to play in the main major cities (Boston, Philly, NYC), yet the out of the way venues are really mellow and fun. Both Meadowbrook and Bethel had a great small town vibe I would be more in to every time.

Yes, there is the loss of "other things to do", but who needs anything more than Shakedown, music and beautiful place to hang out. I do not but that's just my humble opinion.

Man, I love the idea of NH > Coney > Bethel. Perfect!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrippingColors
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds