• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
89TourVeteran
Fresh Boarder

CANANDAIGUA RAINOUT SCAM

#272846 1 year, 3 months ago
We need to be honest about what happened in Canandaigua. As everyone probably knows, the show was cut way short, ostensibly for "safety reasons" but the facts just don't bear this out.

The first set started up at 7:12 and continued till about 8:10. Then there was about an fifty-five minute break, and the second set started at around 9:05. At about 9:55, Bobby came on and said something to the effect of, "they are telling us we need to stop for a bit because of the weather, not sure how long the delay will be." Then Phil informed us that the show was being stopped due to the weather, and we all booed, and then Phil reprimanded us and ordered us to our cars, emphasizing "it's a safety issue."

First off, there was lightning in the background several miles away, but, by 9:30, it had stopped, and would not return until well after midnight. There was no safety issue at that time. There may have been a safety issue as we all got soaked on the lawn from 8 to 9. Had they issued us rain checks at that point, we might actually have left believing that they cared about our safety. The problem is at that point, they had only played one set, and they would have had to issue refunds. Now, that's a money issue! Venues (and bands) are not going to let a silly little thing like safety get in the way of making their money.

At 9:55 PM the band had played just enough of a second set to rule out issuing refunds. So, at that point, it became time to worry about everybody's safety. Especially when focusing on safety will saves the venue money. Had the band played until 11:30 or midnight, CMAC staff would have been on the payroll until the wee hours of the morning. Now, that's a money issue!

If you need further proof that CMAC is completely full of cow poo, just review some of their press releases regarding the cancellation of the concert. Essentially, they claim that the show started at 7:00 and that the band played for over three hours until the show was cancelled at 10:15. 10:15??? My Omega watch must have been 20 minutes slow on that night.

Let's not put all the blame on CMAC, however, the band is also accountable for this travesty. Here is a release from the band itself:

"Hey, gang, Sorry we had to cut the show short tonight- there was an issue with the ongoing lightning strikes around the venue. As always, the first concern of the band, the promoters, and the venue is to protect the safety of the public; so when we were asked to stop the show and to ask you all to go to your cars and go home for your own safety, we agreed.Thank you all for your understanding and patience, and may the four winds blow you safely home."

So, the band was a willing participant, totally co-opted by the powers that be. You might not like me for saying it, but that's the truth.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by 89TourVeteran. Reason: Style and grammar
kfender
Gold Boarder

Re: CANANDAIGUA RAINOUT SCAM

#272862 1 year, 3 months ago
The only problem I have is with your timeframe.The first set was over an hour long.I looked at my watch when the first set ended and it was closer to 8:20 than the 8:10 you list here.I have been to shows at this venue with worse weather conditions,maybe a policy change?The radar looked pretty ominous to the west when they stopped.we had already been drenched and the rain had stopped whene the called the show.Bum deal for sure.However I highly doubt the intentionally played enough music so that a refund was out of the question.Also the show was going to be over by 10:45 believe that.Going past 11:00 was never going to happen.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#272866 1 year, 3 months ago
Dude I am totally 100% behind you and what you are saying. This notion of safety is horse puckey. They were not concerned about safety with people hanging out in 100 degree heat. That is more dangerous than getting wet for god sakes. Plus to force people into their cars and onto the highway is not looking out for anyones saftey, sorry CAMC and furthur because that is a crock of shit. I think it was a scam too but it does not quite add up. Obviously they had no interest in letting that show run one minute late. Whatever one minute late means, hell these summer shows have been wrapped by 10:45, I am no night owl anymore but 10:45 is early even by my standards. So to let the concert run until 11:30, 11:45 hell even midnight to take into account taking a break to let that *killer* storm pass through and then finish the concert does not seem like a real bad curfew violation or anything especially on a friday night. The issue was that there was no way they were going to let that concert run *late*. As far it being a money issue suddenly it does not make sense although avoiding a refund by playing slightly into the 2nd set would obviously save tons of money I did not think about that. But by cutting the show short you are cutting into your consession profits which have to be ungodly high. Concessions would have made up for paying the little worker bees for staying an hour late. And if Furthur purposely took an hour break and then played into the 2nd set knowing the show was about to be cancelled just to avoid a refund I will puke all over their stage. It does not sit well to see that they blew the top off of All Good with an exceptional show after we got screwed. A half assed tweat from the band did not really make me feel much better either. The consolation I take is that Bob was visibly upset about ending the show early so I really want to take the scam part out of my thinking because that kind of thinking really upsets me.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#272868 1 year, 3 months ago
I wasn't there so I dont know but I'm sure someone in power wanted to go home early so they made it happen! LOL really I dont know....
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
stricken
Gold Boarder

#272873 1 year, 3 months ago
Ive been upset about this for days now but i would bet my bottom dollar the band was told what to do.
I dont think the boo's where directed at phil but at the venue.
And they the venue was still selling beer after stopping the show.
And once again im hoping for a asteroid of a ton or two hits that shit hole of a venue and if furthur goes back i will lose all faith in them and possible skip a whole summer tour if they go back there. Im that mad about it.
the scam theory falls on the venue not the band but if the band lets them be booked once again then i would say they were a willing participant in another scam that i wont be a part of. and all heads should let it be known that if furthur goes there its going to be empty
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#272875 1 year, 3 months ago
stricken wrote:
Ive been upset about this for days now but i would bet my bottom dollar the band was told what to do.
And once again im hoping for a asteroid of a ton or two hits that shit hole of a venue and if furthur goes back i will lose all faith in them and possible skip a whole summer tour if they go back there. Im that mad about it.
the scam theory falls on the venue not the band but if the band lets them be booked once again then i would say they were a willing participant in another scam that i wont be a part of. and all heads should let it be known that if furthur goes there its going to be empty

Hey brother it was cool seeing you in the lot. Sorry we boogied out of there kind of early but my girls were roasting and wanting to get insde to get something to eat and drink. I was too paranoid to drink a beer on the lot with all the 4 wheeling cops roaming around.

Everything about CMAC was fine, (I really enjoyed it there, totally cool venue) until they kicked us out ...
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#272877 1 year, 3 months ago
I am getting a tad tired of this 'curfew' bullshit. I mean there was how many people there? 7-10k? they do not get the huge crowd anymore. Start the show at 6 if a curfew is the problem.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
89TourVeteran
Fresh Boarder

#272878 1 year, 3 months ago
AT Denver Man: Yeah, I think your time frame is probably more accurate! I wrote the starting set times on my set list, as well as the ending time of the show. I didn't jot down the ending time of the first set, and I cannot recall exactly when it ended, as my time-space continuum was quite warped at that time, due to factors that I would prefer not to make public.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by 89TourVeteran. Reason: Give Props to Denver Man
stricken
Gold Boarder

#272880 1 year, 3 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
stricken wrote:

Hey brother it was cool seeing you in the lot. Sorry we boogied out of there kind of early but my girls were roasting and wanting to get insde to get something to eat and drink. I was too paranoid to drink a beer on the lot with all the 4 wheeling cops roaming around.

Everything about CMAC was fine, (I really enjoyed it there, totally cool venue) until they kicked us out ...

It was cool seeing you again but it seems we never get a chance to shoot the s**t maybe some day down the road. But it wont be at cmac. again nice seeing your face and maybe some day i will venture out west again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#272882 1 year, 3 months ago
I personally think you guys need to move on with your life. I don't think they were trying to scam us - there was a threat from Severe Thunderstorms and they stopped the show. Just because you didn't see an immediate threat and just because the threat didn't materialize doesn't mean there wasn't a real threat. Rain checks made no sense - when exactly were they going to come back? They ideally should have returned some of our money but I'm not going to spend the next 6 months bitching about it. I thought the last Portchester show where Bob had problems was a worse scenario than this one (they should have refunded all of our money) - they should never have gone on stage to begin with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds