• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: Set List: Furthur Canandaigua, NY on July 19, 2013

#272526 1 year ago
westyvw wrote:
newyawker wrote:
MornDuNH wrote:
newyawker wrote:

Here is a question. I notice that when they get spacey in a playin, there is a tendancy of noodling without any form. Anyone have an answer why Furthur has not figured out how to space it out as organized chaos like the Dead could? Just an observation. no biggie.

Um two words... Jerry Garcia. They say any man can be replaced, but no matter who takes that spot, not matter how talented or visionary, he/she will never be able to match Garcia's impact in a jam.

We can go and enjoy Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata played by a talented and visionary pianist, and find it a transcendent experience, but I'm willing to bet when Herr Beethoven played it was as indescribable as a Garcia solo.

My two cents.

I am not even looking for jerry to come back and jam!!!! hahahaha. My 2 cents is JC will take over the lead instead of John and Phil. JC is extremely talented, but the band was and always should be a guitar driven band not a keyboard driven band. One of the biggest complaints Jerry had about Keith was this fact. Towards the end KG did not try to compliment the sound, he became a lead keyboardist which drove Jerry crazy. And JC has the tendancy to do this. I will compare this to DSO. Mattson and barraco definatley know their roles. mattson drives the jam and barraco is the cabboose. This is how it shold be with JK and JC. yet is happens the other way around. Brent did this interplay perfectly.

Keith wasnt being a lead, he was copying Jerry, and thats what pissed him off. He quit filling and just basically mocked what Jerry did.
I think Jeff and John can both play a part, I have seen Jeff push them , well, Furthur, and then Russo steps it up, then Phil grabs it, setting John up for a killer solo. And then he doesnt always deliver. Thats his deal, not the formula. There is room for both keys and guitar, and if those keys werent driving up the tempos at times, I am not sure I would keep seeing them.

At first I thought it was a 'dont step on bobby/phil' kinda place where John was at, and it seems he is putting more in as time goes by. But where I can flow and jam with Phil, Bob, and Jeff, John is more hit an miss then say Stu Allen, or well lets face it, Jerry. Sometimes it seems like a volume thing, sometimes, it feels unconfident. Sometimes it just isnt interesting. Sometimes his tone is really nice though with an almost pedal guitar sound, and he does have suprises.

As long as I am writing this long, might as well mention that the last Furthur show I saw was the new years run. And at the time I said that would be the last time. The show was shorter than years past, and while good, it didnt really deliver a new years blowout. Then they do sweet water live, and it was good. And then I have been following along during this run, and next thing I know I have tickets for the fall and I am thinking about New Years yet again. Just cant stay away.

i was expressing the same thing you said about keith and jerry. Just in different terminology. I think we may agree more than you think. My point being is JK has to lead the jams...
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
kfender
Gold Boarder

#272757 1 year ago
Sorry for all the problems the other night.I was having a hard time getting an internet connection.Then my Ustream app kep force closing on me.Then it started pouring lol.Had my phone wrapped in my shirt for awhile.Then it finally started raining and the stopped the show!!!Anyway I thouroughly enjoyed what I heard.No complaints about any of it.Went back last night for Steely Dan and the weather was ideal.I love CMAC and have seen shows in worse weather there.I am assuming that there must have been a change in policy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Sustainabill
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#274132 1 year ago
Thanks to Furthur for the photos

Thank You Jerry
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#274133 1 year ago
Thank You Jerry
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#274134 1 year ago
Thank You Jerry
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#274136 1 year ago
Thank You Jerry
Chester
More or less in line

#274137 1 year ago
Sustainabill wrote:

I'm in that picture. Can't see me, but trust me, I'm there.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, Sustainabill
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#274140 1 year ago
^ Me too
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Sustainabill
DigiGal
Senior Boarder
" If it wasn't recorded - it will be forgotten "

#276396 11 months, 3 weeks ago
My recording of this show is on LMA now for steaming and downloading...

archive.org/details/furthur2013-07-19.akg.digigal.125306.flac16

Furthur
Constellation Brands-Marvin Sands Performing Arts Center
Canandaigua, NY
July 19, 2013
Source AKG CK91 (ORTF) > MK90/3 > Sound Devices MixPre-D > Marantz PMD 661
Lineage SDHC Card > iMac > Audiofile Wave Editor > FLAC

Recorded and Transferred and Posted by DigiGal

** 16-bit/44.1Khz **

Disc 01 [Set I]
01 tuning
02 Opening Jam
03 Jack Straw
04 Dupree's Diamond Blues
05 Brother Esau
06 Mason's Children
07 Mission In The Rain
08 Box Of Rain

Disc 02 [Set II]
01 crowd/tuning
02 Playing In The Band
03 Any Road
04 Mountains Of The Moon
05 Caution (Do Not Step On The Tracks)
06 safety evacuation announcements

Notes:
AKG CK91 (ORTF) > Gotham 13001 GAC-2pair on AKG MK90/3 connectors > MixPre-D AES Out >
PMD661 S/PDIF In via passive impedance conversion cable. Mics at 7 ft height and located
dead center of OTS front row on lawn. Used windscreens and added umbrella for second set
watching the storm moving in. Occasional heavy wind for both sets and a lightning storm
during the second set. The show was cut short for safety reasons, but after Caution the set list
contained the following unplayed; Viola Lee > Days Between > At A Siding >Terrapin Flyer. E-Liberty

Tracked out to fit on two audio CD's as indicated.

**Furthur**
Phil Lesh - bass & vocals
Bob Weir - guitar & vocals
Jeff Chimenti - keyboards
John Kadlecik - guitar & vocals
Joe Russo - drums
Sunshine Becker - vocals
Jeff Pehrson - vocals
Still Searching For The Sound??? My LMA Recordings and My Etree Recordings
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds