• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

Re: Set List: Furthur Canandaigua, NY on July 19, 2013

#272455 1 year, 3 months ago
I want to post the youtube vid, but the thread started anew. The vid on youtube is titled "Furthur show evacuated due to lightning storms. Canandaigua". Bobby is visibly as pissed as anyone.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by patchmyfurthur.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sustainabill, Tilnot
*A*C*SLATER*
Fresh Boarder

#272456 1 year, 3 months ago
hey now,
I really enjoyed the first set...smoking,,,,and the second set was about to take off ....ya could feel it building up....

looking in hindsight they could of went on with the show but weather is very unpredictable...and we have all seen some crazy weather this year...there was definitely some crazy lighting dancing across the sky...I hope everyone had a safe journey....see ya all in red rocks soon....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sustainabill
MornDuNH
Junior Boarder

#272469 1 year, 3 months ago
newyawker wrote:

Here is a question. I notice that when they get spacey in a playin, there is a tendancy of noodling without any form. Anyone have an answer why Furthur has not figured out how to space it out as organized chaos like the Dead could? Just an observation. no biggie.

Um two words... Jerry Garcia. They say any man can be replaced, but no matter who takes that spot, not matter how talented or visionary, he/she will never be able to match Garcia's impact in a jam.

We can go and enjoy Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata played by a talented and visionary pianist, and find it a transcendent experience, but I'm willing to bet when Herr Beethoven played it was as indescribable as a Garcia solo.

My two cents.
Chester
More or less in line

#272470 1 year, 3 months ago
I was frustrated with the decision. Which I suspect is based on a set of rules that must be followed
during times of weather emergencies. I'm assuming a weather emergency was declared. Then the
facility had a set procedure to follow. And they did. Did I think there was an immediate danger? Well
that's hard to say. I didn't see the radar, or have access to any of the data they did. Have I been in
worse rain storms in outdoor shows? Yes. Tough call for the venue. Definitely. But nothing we can
do about it now. I did think most of the first set was pretty great. Really glad I got an Esau.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sustainabill, TMax
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#272471 1 year, 3 months ago
newyawker wrote:
Perhaps my buddy who was there just had a bad night from listening to others take on the show. yet as history can attest, some think certain shows are the best others can say they were terrible. From what I listened to I will say that anyone who makes the famous statement of "THe Best" or "Epic" as platitudes must have been listening to a CD of another show. Not keen on the new way they seem to play jack Straw now. Masons did not sound as tite as I have heard before. Esau was ok. Personally I am not a big fan of Box, so I would have beaten the line to piss for that one. Any road is a catchy tune.

Here is a question. I notice that when they get spacey in a playin, there is a tendancy of noodling without any form. Anyone have an answer why Furthur has not figured out how to space it out as organized chaos like the Dead could? Just an observation. no biggie.

I liked what I heard but I would agree with some of your comments. I am not a big fan of the way they have been doing Jack Straw lately either. Most of the first was decent but not outstanding. I thought the second set was stronger. A very nice Any Day. Mountains was great. The Caution started to cook but got cut short. I just think the last couple of shows they have been playing well and this was slower starting but was starting to get good and every sign to me was that this was going to be another decent show. Best show ever? Hardly. But in the top three of worst shows - hardly. I am more concerned with how they play than I am with what they play, however. A lot of people seem to not like the long introspective Mountains, for example, but I thought it well done... Also, although I believe you can usually get a good sense of a show from a stream, seeing it live can sometimes give you a different sense. The quality of the sound can also directly influence how good a show seems. I was in the fourth row center and it sounded great and they were into it and playing well. Like I said earlier, I just think it was a different style of show and it just doesn't do it for some people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sustainabill, newyawker, TMax
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#272475 1 year, 3 months ago
rippleish20 wrote:
newyawker wrote:
Perhaps my buddy who was there just had a bad night from listening to others take on the show. yet as history can attest, some think certain shows are the best others can say they were terrible. From what I listened to I will say that anyone who makes the famous statement of "THe Best" or "Epic" as platitudes must have been listening to a CD of another show. Not keen on the new way they seem to play jack Straw now. Masons did not sound as tite as I have heard before. Esau was ok. Personally I am not a big fan of Box, so I would have beaten the line to piss for that one. Any road is a catchy tune.

I liked what I heard but I would agree with some of your comments. I am not a big fan of the way they have been doing Jack Straw lately either. Most of the first was decent but not outstanding. I thought the second set was stronger. A very nice Any Day. Mountains was great. The Caution started to cook but got cut short. I just think the last couple of shows they have been playing well and this was slower starting but was starting to get good and every sign to me was that this was going to be another decent show. Best show ever? Hardly. But in the top three of worst shows - hardly. I am more concerned with how they play than I am with what they play, however. A lot of people seem to not like the long introspective Mountains, for example, but I thought it well done... Also, although I believe you can usually get a good sense of a show from a stream, seeing it live can sometimes give you a different sense. The quality of the sound can also directly influence how good a show seems. I was in the fourth row center and it sounded great and they were into it and playing well. Like I said earlier, I just think it was a different style of show and it just doesn't do it for some people.

Good observation Alan. Like I mentioned, my friend is hypercritical. A "Jerry Head' to the end, so i take his review with the fact he watches every show through Jerry glasses. He knows this and does not come across as a dick. Just honest to a fault at times. he was also on the lawn and said the sound was not great. I am one who also listens to how they pl;ay compared to what they play. Yet I will qualify that statement with no matter how they played some songs, I dont listen. Also did this with the dead.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#272481 1 year, 3 months ago
MornDuNH wrote:
newyawker wrote:

Um two words... Jerry Garcia. They say any man can be replaced, but no matter who takes that spot, not matter how talented or visionary, he/she will never be able to match Garcia's impact in a jam.

We can go and enjoy Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata played by a talented and visionary pianist, and find it a transcendent experience, but I'm willing to bet when Herr Beethoven played it was as indescribable as a Garcia solo.

My two cents.

I am not even looking for jerry to come back and jam!!!! hahahaha. My 2 cents is JC will take over the lead instead of John and Phil. JC is extremely talented, but the band was and always should be a guitar driven band not a keyboard driven band. One of the biggest complaints Jerry had about Keith was this fact. Towards the end KG did not try to compliment the sound, he became a lead keyboardist which drove Jerry crazy. And JC has the tendancy to do this. I will compare this to DSO. Mattson and barraco definatley know their roles. mattson drives the jam and barraco is the cabboose. This is how it shold be with JK and JC. yet is happens the other way around. Brent did this interplay perfectly.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
clutch_cargo
Junior Boarder

#272500 1 year, 3 months ago
rochester.ynn.com/content/all_news/roche...tages-across-region/

'we agreed' - so did I. it appears that very many posting, all over the place, may not be fully of the same understanding that our diversity, the truly symbiotic nature of what assembles us, the hard working and peaceful nature of how we are and whom we are to each other - safely, and in friendly harmonious and helpful spirit is what makes us so special, and not ever, not even once, flamming one another out at least without a sense of humour and by healthy and reasonable debate.

It's odd but understandable to me here I suppose though not so much in the bands company and not ever forgetting 'the love we bring.' No one controls a force majeure event. The local safety professionals 'recommended' evacuation to get everyone home safely. So it reads 'we agreed.' I've been in probably a dozen big storms at Grateful Dead concerts and none were cut short. Then there's the Red Rocks fall, RPI emergency egress, Carrier Dome ventilation, Alpine fence and a number of other concerts I can clearly recall them stopping immediately, either until whatever it is was fixed, or for the night at least.

Sure it's not what anyone wants, including and especially the band, doing what they love and what we love them doing. I think we all need to get back to basics a bit, remember, think for a minute before we open up our keyboards - mouths then insert a foot or two. Have a great show tonight in Thornville!
westyvw
Junior Boarder

#272502 1 year, 3 months ago
newyawker wrote:
MornDuNH wrote:
newyawker wrote:

My two cents.

I am not even looking for jerry to come back and jam!!!! hahahaha. My 2 cents is JC will take over the lead instead of John and Phil. JC is extremely talented, but the band was and always should be a guitar driven band not a keyboard driven band. One of the biggest complaints Jerry had about Keith was this fact. Towards the end KG did not try to compliment the sound, he became a lead keyboardist which drove Jerry crazy. And JC has the tendancy to do this. I will compare this to DSO. Mattson and barraco definatley know their roles. mattson drives the jam and barraco is the cabboose. This is how it shold be with JK and JC. yet is happens the other way around. Brent did this interplay perfectly.

Keith wasnt being a lead, he was copying Jerry, and thats what pissed him off. He quit filling and just basically mocked what Jerry did.
I think Jeff and John can both play a part, I have seen Jeff push them , well, Furthur, and then Russo steps it up, then Phil grabs it, setting John up for a killer solo. And then he doesnt always deliver. Thats his deal, not the formula. There is room for both keys and guitar, and if those keys werent driving up the tempos at times, I am not sure I would keep seeing them.

At first I thought it was a 'dont step on bobby/phil' kinda place where John was at, and it seems he is putting more in as time goes by. But where I can flow and jam with Phil, Bob, and Jeff, John is more hit an miss then say Stu Allen, or well lets face it, Jerry. Sometimes it seems like a volume thing, sometimes, it feels unconfident. Sometimes it just isnt interesting. Sometimes his tone is really nice though with an almost pedal guitar sound, and he does have suprises.

As long as I am writing this long, might as well mention that the last Furthur show I saw was the new years run. And at the time I said that would be the last time. The show was shorter than years past, and while good, it didnt really deliver a new years blowout. Then they do sweet water live, and it was good. And then I have been following along during this run, and next thing I know I have tickets for the fall and I am thinking about New Years yet again. Just cant stay away.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by westyvw.
ICantFindMyFace
Senior Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design.

#272520 1 year, 3 months ago
i was right behind the sound board and it was such a tight show. caution had the crowd so amped up! i have never seen such a swing of emotion from the euphoria of caution to the disdain of the end of a show. i hated seeing phil get booed though. not cool. not his fault at all. was glad when it turned too applause.

rough 6 hour car ride for 3/5 a show haha
loooooong ride home.
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds