• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

FurthurFlower's TXR Review! :)

#247060 1 year, 1 month ago
When you go to Phil's place you simply can't imagine what you are in store for!!!! I was at the last three shows of the run 15th, 16th, and 17th.

The first set of the 15th was a little slow starting for me. The energy seemed to be lacking. But the Brown Sugar sure was smokin' hot! Yea yea yea oooo! I'm not a Jackie hater but I'm not a Jackie lover. I have respect for his musical talent. It really all depends on what he wants to give to the audience. I have seen some less that spectacular Jackie performances but this night was not one of them! I thought he reminded me a little of Warren Haynes with his teases and groovy guitar licks! And in that second set he shined!!!!! The second set had to be the single best musical experience of my life! I have never experienced such a skull fuck before! I loved every second of it! You really could not tell where the songs and jams were going. We were riding a huge musical spiral of notes and songs were just spewing out left and right! It was simply the best! Bobby, Jackie, and Phil have a deep musical connection and you can totally see that when they play together. And I just wanted to add a note.....people think they heard a Slipknot tease but it really was King Solomon's Marbles....

Saturday started out with Brunch at Terrapin with Stu Allen and Pete Lavezzoli. Pete is the drummer in JGB....and boy does he have soul!!!!! I was thinking that while he was singing some songs....towards the end of the show he said time for some Pigpen and I knew he was the man for the job!!! The duo was perfect! Had people dancing laughing and smiling on a sunny Saturday Afternoon.

Saturday night's show was probably my least favorite of the three. I'm not sure why but the energy of the crowd may have had a lot to do with it. Non stop talking. I couldn't believe it. And even after being asked to be quiet still yap yap yap. And tonight I noticed that people do not respect Phil's place they just throw their empty cups and bottles down on the small dance floor. I had these slip-on shoes on that night and there was so much spilled beer that my shoes were sticking to the floor and my feet kept coming out of them while I was trying to dance.....not good. I could not dance or move. I just didn't seem to have any fun that night at the show. But the Queen Jane was nice and the whole second set up til UBC was very nice!

Waking up on Sunday was a little sad knowing this was my last day in the amazing state of California! Another music filled Brunch at Terrapin with the Terrapin Family Band. Real nice crowd was in the house for them. Everyone is dancing and shaking their bones all through the restaurant. What a wonderful way to start the day! Then after brunch Moonalice played a free show at Sweetwater which we got to catch a little of. The back to Terrapin for the closing show of the anniversary.

My goal for this show was to be on the rail.....which was gonna require standing in line a little while before the doors opened. Well I finally discovered the TXR rail game.....get there early in the morning set out a chair, sweatshirt, or towel of your choice in line then leave for the rest of the day and come back an hour before doors and wait in line. I put my sweatshirt down in line around noon and got 5th in line. Expect there was a mad rush as the doors opened and 20 people got in front. But I still got my spot on the rail by Jeff....I was trying between Bobby and Jeff but that didn't work. Even before they opened the doors one of the ticket people came out and said Jill doesn't want the big blankets set out tonight. One item laid down on the floor per person. I can't wrap my head around why they allow this? The same people are in the front for every show. Can't they let some out of towners get front row for a night....guess not. That has to be my only complaint. And if you aren't in the front for the show you have to deal with the talkers, the beer spillers, and the people going back and forth. Gets to be a pain and a major distraction from the music. Just one show I want to be at were the whole crowd is in sync with each other. And the love is just flowing from one to another....but I have a feeling those days are long gone. Damn I'm such an old soul. lol

But the show Sunday night ROCKED!!!!!!! From start to end I'd like to take that ride again! The first set was smokin hot!! You can't ever go wrong opening a show with a Stranger. Then Women are Smarter! Hell yea! And they played DANCIN!!!! I must say the sweat started to pour after that one and I need some much needed fresh air. But I still had my sweatshirt down on the rail to hold my spot.....hahaha. Second set was great. Bobby was a star with that Estimated! He was howling at us and we were howling back at him! Magic! The jam in Cassidy was pretty mind blowing! I was surprised to see them pull out Mountain Song. I just had to sit back and see how this one was gonna go. Stu seemed a little hesitant at first but once the song started flowing he did a wonderful job! Was missing Sunshine and Jeff sing back up on that one. Sunday's show had the best set list by far! Excellent excellent excellent! I can't wait to give this a listen again!

Every trip to California is such a blessing! And I want to thank every single of you who where there and made my journey a grateful one! I love you!!!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, dr bakes, Zipster, gvanman, Sustainabill, funky420, nycdave, SunshineSue, amusingdeva, Strider1...
Chester
More or less in line

Re: FurthurFlower's TXR Review! :)

#247064 1 year, 1 month ago
Friends made the trip special. But Phil's place has a magic all it's own. Everyone should experience it.
I had the time of my life. I will be back.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gvanman, Sustainabill, nycdave, amusingdeva, FurthurFlower67
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#247088 1 year, 1 month ago
I'd love to check out TXR. Wife might need some persuading, however.

So that's a drag that there are so many talkers and drinkers there. These shows are amazing opportunities. It's too bad people don't seem to realize it.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#247099 1 year, 1 month ago
Equinox wrote:
I'd love to check out TXR. Wife might need some persuading, however.

So that's a drag that there are so many talkers and drinkers there. These shows are amazing opportunities. It's too bad people don't seem to realize it.

I think you can do some persuading.....San Rafael is a beautiful part of the bay area and she would really enjoy it! Show her some beautiful scenery pictures.

But as far as the talkers and drinkers.....my only explanation can be that most are the locals that have been to every show there so it's probably more of their usual hang out bar then a concert venue to them. Which makes me wonder what was Phil's intentions on TXR......a more intimate concert setting or just a local bar to play at every week?
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by FurthurFlower67.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#247102 1 year, 1 month ago
Here are two pictures from the brunch shows that I took from my phone and I will add more from my camera either later tonight or tomorrow.

894615_434033890015385_1985602925_o.jpg

893856_434488499969924_6363817_o.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Sustainabill, nycdave
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#247111 1 year, 1 month ago
Missed you in Colorado but am happy for you for making it to TXR.

The reality is that no crowd will ever be in synch with each other. I believe your assessment is right - TXR is a bar for the locals, not sure what Phil's intentions were/are but it seems like it isn't really set up for a ton of visitors and caters to the locals. It's his prerogative I guess.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67
dougieisirie
Junior Boarder

#247125 1 year, 1 month ago
Great review I was at both shows, (sat and sun) and i have to say I liked Saturday's show better. I guess just personal preference. The whole second set on Saturday for me was very seamless and had me enjoying every minute of the second set. I had never seen Stu Allen before and although his style is different than John Kadlicek's it is definitely more laid back, I think they are both equally as good.. just different styles. I have to say part of the fun of going to a show is hanging with friends, and got to meet a few of the gang from FOJC (Fans of Jeff Chimenti). All very nice people.

But I do have to agree with Furthur Flower, the talkers are real annoying. I was probably about 3rd or 4th row behind Jeff and there were people behind me that wouldn't shut up, and you have talk loud if the music is playing. I finally told one guy, "Hey I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I didn't pay to hear you talk the whole time." He gave me a funny look than went to the other side of the room.

TXR is a great place, I guess you just have to learn the ins and outs on where to go, and I agree also that to put your stuff down in the line in front and then take off for the rest of the day, then come back right when they are opening is kind of sneaky.

All in all I had a blast, and would definitely go back
"Some ask, why play Grateful Dead music??
For those that know, no answer is necessary,
For those that don't, no answer is possible."
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#247127 1 year, 1 month ago
I went last May for the Rambles and it was before the Grate Room was redone. It's a lot more classier now then before. However they were sold out shows each show I've been too and it just seemed to me that there was a little more dancing room before it eas redone then now. But I can kinda see how. The stage didn't get bigger but the area blocked off around it did.

Whether you are outta town or not everyone needs to check out a show at Terrapin. Nothing can beat that experience of being in an intimate setting watching your all time favorites! Your in Phil's living room! When people ask me what was my favorite show I think of it like this....TXR is in its own category in itself. You can't compare any other show to ones I've seen there. And never ever bad service in the restaurant!
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by FurthurFlower67.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#247129 1 year, 1 month ago
dougieisirie wrote:
Great review I was at both shows, (sat and sun) and i have to say I liked Saturday's show better. I guess just personal preference. The whole second set on Saturday for me was very seamless and had me enjoying every minute of the second set. I had never seen Stu Allen before and although his style is different than John Kadlicek's it is definitely more laid back, I think they are both equally as good.. just different styles. I have to say part of the fun of going to a show is hanging with friends, and got to meet a few of the gang from FOJC (Fans of Jeff Chimenti). All very nice people.

But I do have to agree with Furthur Flower, the talkers are real annoying. I was probably about 3rd or 4th row behind Jeff and there were people behind me that wouldn't shut up, and you have talk loud if the music is playing. I finally told one guy, "Hey I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I didn't pay to hear you talk the whole time." He gave me a funny look than went to the other side of the room.

TXR is a great place, I guess you just have to learn the ins and outs on where to go, and I agree also that to put your stuff down in the line in front and then take off for the rest of the day, then come back right when they are opening is kind of sneaky.

All in all I had a blast, and would definitely go back

Nice to meet you again and get a chance to talk a little more Dougie! Too bad the security came to shut the party down Saturday

Anyone with reviews or pictures feel free to post them here!
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#247137 1 year, 1 month ago
Welcome back. Doesn't the time just fly? Thanks for sharing your experiences from your journey! Did you get to hear Big Steve telling jokes at Sweetwater? I thought that would have been a highlight. There were about 4 jokes that we heard on the stream. In case you missed it, he told the punchline of why fish left the sea to come on land. They smoked all the sea weed!
Thank You Jerry
Time to create page: 0.89 seconds