• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
RBull
Junior Boarder

Thoughts on the Sweetwater run

#230676 1 year, 7 months ago
I watched the streams 3 of the 4 nights and enjoyed every minute. But I couldn't help thinking that the music, although well played, lacked a certain....oomph, or power, that the music has in a big hall. There's obviously a huge difference in the energy generated by 300 people as opposed to 12-15,000, and I really noticed that in the music in these shows. Made me appreciate how much we, the (live) audience, play a part in this whole phenomenon. Anybody else notice this, or am I crazy? I've always preferred a good audience recording to a sbd, which I know puts me in the minority. Thoughts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: fourwnds
Cub
Senior Boarder

Re: Thoughts on the Sweetwater run

#230702 1 year, 7 months ago
Once again I was amazed at 2013 Furthur's ability to create so much energy and psychedelic heights on such a small piece of stage. To me the band has always shown they can master any piece of music that they set their collective talents to. If the band wants to play Furthur originals like Magnolia Mountain, Celebration Song or Ratdog, Grateful Dead & Beatles tunes, It's ALL GOOD.

Cheers and Happy New Year 2013 Furthur

Cub
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by Cub.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#230709 1 year, 7 months ago
I was only able to catch Friday and Saturday night's show. As much as I enjoyed them both I thought Saturday night's show was a little more powerful. I'm not sure why but I thought Friday's show seem to have a bit of a slower tone that kind of left me wanting something a little more.
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cub
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#230746 1 year, 7 months ago
SWEET!!!!!!!!
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

#230752 1 year, 7 months ago
The highlight was the Althea from the 19th.....that was the most jammed out althea I've heard
GOOD LOVE
OZA
Senior Boarder

#230845 1 year, 7 months ago
Very strong run. My personal favorite night was the 3rd night. Second set was just incredible...1st set was great too. JK was on his A+ game this whole run
The following user(s) said Thank You: craze, Cub, Wundurland
Wundurland
Expert Boarder

#231051 1 year, 7 months ago
OZA wrote:
Very strong run. My personal favorite night was the 3rd night. Second set was just incredible...1st set was great too. JK was on his A+ game this whole run

Magical. There's something to be said about big shows and the smaller, intimate ones. I like seeing them play closer together, watching one another and playing around more with jams, but it's easier for me to see the big shows live since I don't live out West. Very excited about JK during the Sweetwater run!
...was staring at the little blotch of sunshine with a special intensity, considering lying down in it.

-JD Salinger
The following user(s) said Thank You: craze
JFish
Fresh Boarder

#231058 1 year, 7 months ago
I thought the Sweetwater gigs were very good. Was able to attend on Thurs and Fri and the venue is pretty outstanding. We have all had these experiences, great band in a small setting is almost always special. Last week was certainly special.

The free HD streaming for all the shows. In this day of the money grab- how about these guys?

I've been watching Bobby and Phil and the maturing of Furthur and have been to a decent amount of their shows over the last 3 years. I'm blown away by the professionalism and how serious they all are. They show terrific energy. There is nothing simple about any of it, and I believe we'd all agree that the band had continued to improve and get better (can we say that about these Hall of Fame guys?) and better along the way. They keep adding more songs to sets and I can listen to the covers forever.

Fri 1st set included the Me&MyUncle>RedRiver 2 step. Very powerful and now I'm stuck on those songs.

I hope they keep this bus going cuz I'll sure as hell be along for the ride.
The following user(s) said Thank You: craze, Jasper
RBull
Junior Boarder

#231059 1 year, 7 months ago
JFish wrote:

The free HD streaming for all the shows. In this day of the money grab- how about these guys?

Think they'll ever sell these on DVD?
JFish
Fresh Boarder

#231065 1 year, 7 months ago
RBull wrote:
JFish wrote:

Think they'll ever sell these on DVD?

Not sure- maybe.
My understanding is that a portion of their proceeds from the CD sets and Digital Download show recordings go to charity. (Not sure what % or what charities).

I view these guys as pretty fair and generous- just my opinion. Normal Furthur tour ticket prices are typically around $60 - which is quite fair for 3 hours of jam every nite (not including normal 1 hour party break).
Time to create page: 8.85 seconds