• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
skidoo
Expert Boarder
skidoo, skidoo.....ski-doo doo doodlie doo doo doo

Re: SETLIST 12/31/2012 NEW YEARS EVE

#224762 1 year, 3 months ago
Thanks!

to San Francisco, the cast of characters, and to the Band.....Happy New Year
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#224763 1 year, 3 months ago
Replay. Nice. I definitely nodded off last night and didn't make it much past the beginning of the second set. Looking forward to seeing the band this Spring!
DigiGal
Senior Boarder
" If it wasn't recorded - it will be forgotten "

#224768 1 year, 3 months ago
Flight of the Valkyries > Keep On Growing > Countdown to 2013 > Sugar Magnolia //

Island Head wrote:
Still Searching For The Sound??? My LMA Recordings and My Etree Recordings
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by DigiGal.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#224782 1 year, 3 months ago

Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by Island Head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue, OZA
DL1943
Junior Boarder

#224798 1 year, 3 months ago
i was a bit dissapointed with the show...and i was trippin! (and there in person) thats saying alot

first set was a total bore until scarlet>music>dancin, which was great, super on point and tight well jammed music never stopped...tho dancin was real short, although equally as well played as music never stopped. i was expecting a HUGE funky jam and got out of my seat ready to dance, but there was no huge funky jam and i was left swaying awkwardly as the set ended, waiting to groove to a groove that never came.

second set started good with a searing after midnight, always a fave JK song for me. the jam out of after midnight was a highlight of the set and absolutely fantastic, got very spacy and i thought they might bring us the second verse of dark star to complete the song from the previous night...but then playin, which went nowhere. twice the band lost track, and phil had to start a new jam, none of which ever went anywhere interesting, before the jamming petered out again for them to play fantasy, which was nothing special, into wheel which had some ok jams, but by that point the wheel was a big downer, after a hugely disappointing playin>fantasy i was ready for the big guns...DSv2 or H>S>F or LIG...but no, it was the wheel...it was a great wheel but the set needed something a bit more face melting and danceable

then UBC! finally some spots for good jamming tho UBC is not my favorite song, and it was another downer(just for me personally i know lotsl ike the song all the time, just my personal preference there) to hear them go into it, but once that jam started...oh man...that was special. unbroken chain was EASILY the best thing i heard all three nights. the jam was just monster, a mind melter. then a great let it grow followed by an UJB with unusually sweet and trippy jams. again thought they might go into dark star in the middle of the song(i was really waiting for that second verse, lol)

then third set, i figure, ok last year second set was the start to finish monster, maybe this year the third set will kick our asses. the second set had some monster portions, but they energy didnt quite seem to carry thru the whole set, and when they can carry the energy that long it really makes a world of difference in the quality of playing. we still have born cross eyed/new potato, dew, H>S>F, terrapin, and DSv2...so this set will be the face melter right?

after the usual sugar mag they went into a great help>slip, simply fantastic, excatly the face melting daceable goodness i only got from music never stopped, after midnight, chain, let it grow and uncle johns band thus far. the great help>slip culminated in a simply ok franks with SSDD.

i really like the sugar mag SSDD sandwich with the help>slip>franks in the middle, awesome move on the setlist front and came out very well played. they jammed SSDD after sugar mag, and the crowd started singing along, and the band responded by playing the verse section, it was a pretty sweet moment...then touch, which was actually pretty good, for me touch is usually just a fun ender or encore but this one had some real magic to it. and then they put their instruments down, i wanted to get up and yell ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME???? that was hardly third set, there have been encores as long as that. i mean, if the third set was that long, but the second and third sets were searing hot jamming all night i would not have noticed, but after an evening of letdowns and missed transitions with scattered moments of greatness, the short length of the third set was icing on the cake

terrapin encore was ok, bummed they skipped the suite for brokedown. another missed opportunity for good jamming. from what i have seen this year, shoreline and NYE run, this band is not getting any better...but i was only able to catch a small portion of what they played so i dont have a full view...but aLL the shows i saw last year had a bit more oomph than NYE and shoreline. second sets on 12/29 and 12/30 were monsters, wonderful from start to end. eyes>mtn song>other one> viola was insane and the jack straw was amazing, the jam into dark star, and the days between were highlights

i had a great time and its still very very magical music, i liked the music last night better than most any other show i could have been at anywhere, but compared to past offerings from furthur, especially with the bar set so high from last NYE, this show just fell flat. the music was still great, but there were to many missed opportunities to make magic when i know what this band can do.

and all weekend the transitions were VERY rough, lots of stopping then starting again
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by DL1943.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#224807 1 year, 3 months ago
Historically, musically, NYE has always been anticlimactic for the GD. Too much pressure? Too much partying and other distractions? Too much theater and hoopla? Too much expectation? Who knows. It is how it has been, and it is what it is. The 30th is about music. The 31st is a circus. For me, the music has always been more than plenty. If the other stuff gets in the way of that, then I could do without the novelties and party tricks.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?

It's dead and over when close enough is good enough.
Cooper
Senior Boarder

#224808 1 year, 3 months ago
Maybe you need to go to TXR or Sweetwater to see them in their finest light... At 73 and 65 I expect NYE gets a little tired. Weir blew my mind on this last solo tour. He has really grown musically the last 12 months - more than I have seen in over 12 years. (I was on tour in 1987-1995 but I forgot too much to compare).

Anyways, anything is always better then the alternatives. And Sunshine, Jeff P, Jeff C, JK, Russo are everything that makes Furthur regardless of the song selection or ups and downs. Furthur is just awesome - cant wait for Colorado. First time the spring tour hasn't been announced in December ever! (Since 2009 - or the last 4 years) Just saying - enjoy every note or move to Mill Valley/San Raf......

Peace and happy new year to all.
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#224859 1 year, 3 months ago
all 3 sets are on youtube (my apologies if this was already posted)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, SunshineSue, Griff
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#224860 1 year, 3 months ago
Nice video. I just watched mine from the start of the 2nd show and just laughed at how bad it was. I just cant film and not dance, making for a very shaky vid. LOL.
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#224861 1 year, 3 months ago
Griff wrote:
Nice video. I just watched mine from the start of the 2nd show and just laughed at how bad it was. I just cant film and not dance, making for a very shaky vid. LOL.

I don't know how people do it... but I am glad they do!
Time to create page: 0.95 seconds