• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

John kicked ass this tour...

#203101 2 years ago
From the shows I've heard he was loud and in charge.....
GOOD LOVE
dougieisirie
Junior Boarder

Re: John kicked ass this tour...

#203106 2 years ago
I agree. I don't agree with people who say that he is trying to imitate jerry or be a "fake jerry" as I have read in some reviews. He has brought his own interpretation of the dead's music. I think his solos are just getting better and better. And his voice his strong.
"Some ask, why play Grateful Dead music??
For those that know, no answer is necessary,
For those that don't, no answer is possible."
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#203136 2 years ago
he was in charge but many nights in my opinion he wasn't nearly loud enough at times that needed it
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: GreatestStoryEverTold
CatDancer
Fresh Boarder
... many worlds i've come since i first left

#203137 2 years ago
I was at the Show last night (Sunday 7-Oct-2012 Santa Barbara County Bowl). What a wonderful performance from all the musicians! I had never heard John Kadlecik play before, and I did not know what to expect. I was incredibly impressed with his playing.

One of the great gifts of my Grateful Dead/Jerry Garcia experience has been the growing understanding of music as a craft that is shared by the men and women that love and cultivate their art. It is a craft that is constantly honed and handed down from generation to generation. It is best as a collective experience, and it will survive and thrive as long as this continues.

Making Jerry the sole catalyst for it all was creating a burden for him that is not possible for anyone to bear. I felt that most of his career he was very aware of this and dealt with it really well. Somehow though, I think that like a lot of the rest of us, he got carried away with the sheer magnitude of the thing. Somewhere along the way he accepted enough of that burden, whether it be the feeling that he had to do everything he could to support the industries of the people that he loved and loved him, or feeling the pressure of being the guy that was in the picture on everyone's wall, or not wanting to be the person that shut down the show, somehow it was too much -- whatever it was, I feel that last night he would have been pleased that the original and true focus of the music lives on in a performance like that. My hope is that we can all appreciate that the fabulous legacy of Jerry's contribution AND the contributions being made now by those who are continuing to hone the craft and keep it alive and moving forward.

I had not been to see any shows featuring any musicians from the Grateful scene

since the Dead in Las Vegas 1994. I have posted elsewhere on this site that my

last show was Vegas '91, but after looking at set lists & talking to a few old

friends I realize I was at both shows.

After going to literally hundreds of Shows

from '82-'91, I've seen great shows, good shows, shows when there were off days,

but always something made it a worthwhile experience. A lot of us went by the

wayside in the '90s. That's certainly why those 2 Vegas shows were the last 2 I

went to. It happens. But it won't be the defining moment of my life. Once upon a

time I thought so, but I've known better than that for some time now.

I thought that what I experienced last night was no longer possible. Last night's

performances by all the musicians on that stage, and the audience's response,

really surprised me. I didn't have any expectations, and certainly didn't expect to

hear those songs or see that scene. I expected to enjoy myself of course. I see

now that what happened in the 90s doesn't have to be the defining moment of

anyone's experience. I see now we can go Further . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: craze, nycdave, SunshineSue, Strider1
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#203171 2 years ago
^^^Well said, CatDancer! Welcome to the Forum and welcome to the "I didn't think I could feel that way again" club! It's a great scene, isn't it?
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#203177 2 years ago
Man he blew the doors off the Stella in Shoreline. Man!!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1, jerryhickman
CatDancer
Fresh Boarder
... many worlds i've come since i first left

#203204 2 years ago
Thank you -- looking foward to being part of this, and Yes it is. It is good to be home . . .
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#203225 2 years ago
CatDancer, welcome to FFF. You have put thought into expressing your feelings and have expressed them well. This kind of stuff is appreciated and is always welcome. There are a few points you make that you may (or may not) want to reconsider. Not to be disrespectful or give you a hard time, just to reconsider.
You state that "Making Jerry the sole catalyst for it all was creating a burden for him that is not possible for anyone to bear. I felt that most of his career he was very aware of this and dealt with it really well."
IMHO, Jerry was not the 'sole catalyst.' There is a bass player, whose playing (along with Jerrys guitar and some well crafted tunes) made this musical conglomerate worth seeing anytime, anywhere, anyhow. I take nothing away from what Jerry brought to the table. When Phil, Jerry (and others) combined to give their best, and the x-factor kicked in, that is what made this music worth persuing, on some nights even creating magic.
Second (minor concern). "Most of his career he was very aware of this and dealt with it really well." Uh, Jerry was a unique individual with vision and skill on a musical instrument that is beyond reproach. His ability to "deal with" his own (and everyone else's) perceived role in our shared circus, was problematic. It cannot be easy to be assigned a role that is not realistic and cannot be fulfilled. Jerry, like all of us was a human being with flaws. Even with all his talent, he had issues dealing with peoples misperceptions.
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#203247 2 years ago
wlewis wrote:
he was in charge but many nights in my opinion he wasn't nearly loud enough at times that needed it

I will say that I thought he lost a little momentum towards the end of the tour, I feel that a "special guest" is more like a monkey wrench thrown into Furthurs synergy.

Highlights for me were prob WaMu Theater, Seattle. Check out the Colors of the Rain, John sounds really good!

archive.org/details/furthur2012-09-25.adk-tl.16bit.larson
jackm
Junior Boarder

#203249 2 years ago
I agree 100% with the "Monkey Wrench" Analogy......
The following user(s) said Thank You: GreatestStoryEverTold, ecojaded, Strider1
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds