• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Blues_Power
Senior Boarder
in the world, but not of the world

Re: SET LIST Furthur, Santa Barbara Bowl 10/7

#203146 1 year, 10 months ago
yeah, security was a bit of a hassle. they were very strict, but not hostile. once the show started it was all good (at least that was my experience).

as for the show, there were some incredible jams and some excellent highlights. however, the flow of the 2nd set was very strange. it felt very "herky-jerky"... go, stop, faster, slower. i absolutely love "Viola", but at the end of "St. Stephen" i was sooooooo ready for "the Eleven". "Hey Pockey Way", "Eyes" and "St. Stephen" were amazingly good and then the bottom dropped out. "Viola" just seemd to get in the way and interrupt the flow. nevertheless, it was a very fun tour closer and i left with a big smile on my face. hanging with friends always makes for a great show, no matter what. thanks FFF for making my three shows a totally rockin' good time!!!
We will all be together for ever and ever when we make it to the promised land
dougieisirie
Junior Boarder

#203153 1 year, 10 months ago
I have to respectfully disagree. I was in the GA pit area, and the pot smoke was so heavy you didn't even need to be smoking. The security was right there, but they weren't concerned with pot smoke. In fact more people were smoking around me in S.B. than the Greek. To me that is not the judge of a good or bad venue, but if that was your complaint about the bowl, maybe try the GA seats next time if they come to S.B. again. Also, when I turned around and looked up at the reserved area, I didn't see to many people sitting down.
"Some ask, why play Grateful Dead music??
For those that know, no answer is necessary,
For those that don't, no answer is possible."
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#203180 1 year, 10 months ago
Blues_Power wrote:
yeah, security was a bit of a hassle. they were very strict, but not hostile. once the show started it was all good (at least that was my experience).

as for the show, there were some incredible jams and some excellent highlights. however, the flow of the 2nd set was very strange. it felt very "herky-jerky"... go, stop, faster, slower. i absolutely love "Viola", but at the end of "St. Stephen" i was sooooooo ready for "the Eleven". "Hey Pockey Way", "Eyes" and "St. Stephen" were amazingly good and then the bottom dropped out. "Viola" just seemd to get in the way and interrupt the flow. nevertheless, it was a very fun tour closer and i left with a big smile on my face. hanging with friends always makes for a great show, no matter what. thanks FFF for making my three shows a totally rockin' good time!!!

thanks for the vapes in the pit man. didn't run into you after, i am gonna hit you up when im back up in the bay area.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blues_Power
CatDancer
Fresh Boarder
... many worlds i've come since i first left

#203222 1 year, 10 months ago
I've lived most of my life in SB. There's a saying -- go there on vacation, go home on probation. Law enforcement here is pretty strict and unlike LA, they have time to sweat the small stuff. The SB County Bowl has always been pretty invasive with the searches. Once you got in last night (10/7/12) things were actually pretty comfortable. The thing to remember about this venue is what their priorities are when they search you -- no weapons and no competition for the SB County Bowl vendors. I'm glad for the weapons thing, and we all know how in the post 9/11 U.S. the definition of what a weapon is has greatly expanded. I seriously doubt if the staff was concerned about what we ate or drank or bought as a souvenir, as long as they provided it at their not-so-competitive prices. And they are pretty thorough. Still, once you were through security last night, the atmosphere was unusually uncomplicated & welcoming. Definitely not usual for SB. It was try appreciated and enjoyed.
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#203333 1 year, 10 months ago
Strider1 wrote:

That's Insane!!!!!!
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#203380 1 year, 10 months ago
CatDancer wrote:
I've lived most of my life in SB. There's a saying -- go there on vacation, go home on probation. Law enforcement here is pretty strict and unlike LA, they have time to sweat the small stuff. The SB County Bowl has always been pretty invasive with the searches. Once you got in last night (10/7/12) things were actually pretty comfortable. The thing to remember about this venue is what their priorities are when they search you -- no weapons and no competition for the SB County Bowl vendors. I'm glad for the weapons thing, and we all know how in the post 9/11 U.S. the definition of what a weapon is has greatly expanded. I seriously doubt if the staff was concerned about what we ate or drank or bought as a souvenir, as long as they provided it at their not-so-competitive prices. And they are pretty thorough. Still, once you were through security last night, the atmosphere was unusually uncomplicated & welcoming. Definitely not usual for SB. It was try appreciated and enjoyed.

That's really interesting, I'm surprised somewhere in California was that strict, particularly with the smoking. After hearing stories about some of the hassles, or worse arrests, people have had in NYC and other places, I find it's influencing where I want to see the band. I'll take a Michigan or Colorado show over somewhere with stricter laws any time. I guess I'm spoiled being in an area where it's rarely a problem to smoke pot relatively publicly, but it definitely affects my interest level in seeing a show in some cities
The following user(s) said Thank You: splatter_face
Blues_Power
Senior Boarder
in the world, but not of the world

#203430 1 year, 10 months ago
there are actually a lot of very conservative parts of California, mainly in the agricultural areas of the state. but Santa Barbara is a bit on the conservative side and Orange County is one of the most conservative counties in the nation. places like the SF Bay Area, Humbolt County, Mendocino County, Chico are the outliers even though many people think they are very representative of Califnia in general.

anyway, i really didn't think security was too horrible at Santa Barbara. the bag search was a bit intrusive and very inconvenient, but i did not see a signle person hassled for smoking in the venue, nor did i see a single person kicked out or arrested. personally, i'll take a show in santa Barbara over shows on the east coast any day! venue security and cops on the east coast are very scary by comparison.
We will all be together for ever and ever when we make it to the promised land
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#203436 1 year, 10 months ago
Hey all. Interesting perspective from everyone.

My focus on the security was related to their forceful direction of where to stand, where to walk and and what you could say (k, that was a joke). But seriously, I got to the show really early and my bro and I just sat in our seats (great seats in the 2nd row of the first seating section) for a bit. A dude I met on Fri at the Greek was on the floor, spotted me and walked to the wall to shake my hand and say hello. The security immediately came up to us and said "You cant do that". Really?!?!?!?!?!? This is like at 5 PM with no more then 150 people in the venue and no one in our section but us (as we started to trip). All was calm, we all were obviously well under control. We cant talk for 5 mins across a wall????

Total buzzkill. That is what I experienced. So no it wasnt about pot smoking, or standing. It was just simply too tight for a Furthur show. We, and I will speak for myself, I need more freedom.

Like the Greek, I was in A and my Bro in B on Fri nite. I could go up to his section before and at the half and hang, we could dance in the ailes..........hell on Sat nite I danced from one end of A all the way across the aisle separating the pit and seating to the top of the other side. It was soooooooooooooo fun. About 200 yards I would guess in all.

Anywho, SB is a beautiful location and the sound was great (using their own PA and not the venues), I just vote for somehwere else to get out of the neiberhood and location that is too uptight.

BTW - I bought those killer seats at the box office on Sun afternoon at 4 PM when we arrived. I couldnt believe it. There were a ton of good seats available. I was blown away. Why????
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#203507 1 year, 10 months ago
Griff wrote:
BTW - I bought those killer seats at the box office on Sun afternoon at 4 PM when we arrived. I couldnt believe it. There were a ton of good seats available. I was blown away. Why????

venues often re-release tickets before shows. very nice tickets that were reserved for friends/family/etc.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#203517 1 year, 10 months ago
You could split CA right down the middle and form 2 separate states. SoCal and NorCal are completely different. My wife is from SoCal and we visit a lot and to be honest I just do not fit in down there. NorCal on the other hand is right up my alley.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
CatDancer
Fresh Boarder
... many worlds i've come since i first left

#203519 1 year, 10 months ago
We were in G above the sound board, and there did not seem to be any restrictions on smoking of any kind, or movement. Security let us go where we wanted to & dance in the isles and on the stairs -- not something I usually experience there. The search on the way in was typical, the freedom inside was not. And as for them focusing on back packs but not searching our pockets -- I guess I am used to that, and so I never bring anything that isn't in my pockets. Like my best friend said once we got in, 'they may have taken my "weekender" (some kind of multi-tool gadget he had on his belt that he was surprised was treated as a weapon) but they did not take my smoke!' And they gave the tool thing back at the end & it took no time at all. It was surprisingly efficient. In the past the SBCB has just thrown everything in the dumpster. This is more kindness than we are used to.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#203607 1 year, 10 months ago
Well, it looks like I might have ended up in a place where things were worse then other areas according to some of the lighter reports. Funny comments about it being better than normal.

I actually do like all of Cali, including LA. I had a great time in Glendale, Hollywood, Santa Monica/Venice and so on. SB is a very beautiful place and clearly is God country.

My "complaints" or comments really are just about the SB Bowl.

I dont mind conservative people, places or thought per se and.............like all issues we need diversity of thought to ultimately discover the truth. I am a fiscal conservative myself.

Freedom though is something very precious to me. I believe our freedom has been reduced over the last 20 yeas in some respects and our privacy has been practically eliminated.

Thus, when I end up in what feels like a police state (read the SBCB) and I really dont like it nor what to experience that again.
Time to create page: 0.80 seconds