• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

Re: Regarding repeats

#197802 2 years ago
illuminaughty wrote:
i just dont like predecitable setlists
I agree, but it appears we're coming from differing perspectives. I was really, really tired of the formulas in the GD in the 80s and 90s. A part of me felt undeniably cheated from the improvisation machine I desired them to be. My desires. My disappointments. I own that. Nevertheless, while it might be predictable that they're going to separate up traditionally paired songs, triptychs, and the songs open to splitting, I love it that predictable unpredictability.

Yet another thing I'm torn about with this band: non-band members writing setlists. On the brightside, or maybe rather on the hopeful side, it takes some pressure off everyone. It at least takes some pressure off Phil to be the conductor, which he either feels it necessary to be, is naturally just that way, or becomes a control freak by other nature. The band is still too young to be reading each other at a truly high improvisational rate. I would have to think the learning curve is long and mostly steady with the occasional drops because of mood, life, etc. A couple different generations represented in the band. Different thinking. Different processes. Big, unique brains like Phil. etc etc. So many social variables here that were not present in the GD, not to mention all the great luck of the universe the GD had going their way as they were developing their group language and their individual voices within that speak. And really, really hard work...daily...before they had families and health issues and technological distractions and whatever else marks us as we age.

Ideally, I'd like for there to be no setlists and for the band to readily slip into a stream of group consciousness for three hours a night. It's unrealistic for that to happen with a group of like people, let alone a group of unlike people at varying degrees of life and of different generations and socialized mindsets. Hey, even the GD had to throw in a Spanish Jam, Me & My Uncle, or El Paso in a 30-minute Dark Star space exploration so they could gather their bearings. In other words, I think it's a smart middle to have setlists to offer all these variables a better chance at succeeding. As for the non-band members doing the lists, they do a pretty good job and aren't restrained by having too much musical knowledge. "That can't work with this because of time signatures or tuning." Too bad. Make it work. Or "I bet this would work nicely with that." for no other reason than intuition and curiosity. The maps have so far been pretty interesting most of the time.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#197806 2 years ago
illuminaughty wrote:
SOMEONE is writing setlists.
you dont get shit like that frank>slip>whole rest of set>slip>franklins unless someones writing it.
and what about scarlet>china>rider>otherstuff>fire on the mnt.
too many others to type.

and no computer program would torture me by splitting viola up into 3 parts. (i love the song, i just dont like predecitable setlists)

i am listening to RR, and first night of edgefield, and i gotta say,
FURTHUR KICKS ASSS
maybe i was just down on em, cause im too broke to do all the shows i want, so i said fuck it.
or i need to get laid.
but that last night at RR is epic. second set would have been worth the weekend.

I was not clear on my point. They never have just taken a shot in the dark with the setlists. The program I am thinking of must do something like spitting out 30 songs that have not been played in a while. Then they are arranged according to someones decision leaving room for on the spot changes. Either that or they pick out of a hat!!!!! The reason I enjoy some predictableness is it allows for that special one time a tour difference with the GD. For instance. You know how man Other One.Wharf Rat>Stones>NFA's I heard? Then you get

Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
Black Peter
Throwin' Stones
Turn On Your Love Light

Atthe Spectrum in 86 and Im like...SWEET!!!!!
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#197808 2 years ago
Certain predictableness allows us to witness the one time there is a slight change or their historical ability to play the same set different. I embraced it and still enjoy the memories. Now when garcia played Black Peter 2 nights in a row in 1988 at the cetrum, and 4 nights before in Hartford, I was not very excited....
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 2 years ago by newyawker.
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#197823 2 years ago
I'm not a fan of the repeats. But I have figured out the more shows I go to a tour the more repeats I will get. However Furthur is amazing and changes up the way they played the song from the last time. Love Furthur!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#198497 2 years ago
i have heard jill lesh has setlist input, and that shes the bands manager. but i dismissed both as stupid rumors.
thats true?
i have never met jill but i did meet bobbys wife once, well i didnt really meet her, she was handing out miracles to the show, somewhere in the midwest, cinci i think, summer time, but ratdog not TOO or dead.
anyway, i was like damn she looks like a model(evening gown, whole bit) and dude was like thats bobs wife.
later i saw her and bob standing backstage together.
perty awsome.
dont know what that has to do with setlists, but it has to do with band members wifes.
remember bobs wedding pics in the kilt.
jesus bob.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#198516 2 years ago
I thought it pretty common knowledge ( evidently not) that Matt Bush (bobbys manager) and Jill Lesh alternate nights doing the setlist. Bob was even quoted as saying it makes it less work to worry about a setlist & that it keeps them fresh because they get to the show and are surprised themselves at the setlists sometimes. They still have input but they generally just go with the setlist they are given..occasionally they vere off for a different song but not to often. Its pretty easy to tell who's night is up as Jills setlists lean towards more spacy james & phil songs/phil influenced songs while Matt Bushs' setlist lean towards a more "bobby" night. Hope this helps.
Last Edit: 2 years ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
Stonedbeetle
Junior Boarder

#198565 2 years ago
I caught a show from 76 today on XM. They played Help>Slip. So disappointed because Furthur played it on 9/28. May cancel my XM subscription.
Bound to cover just a little more ground . . .
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds