• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
stricken
Gold Boarder

Re: Bob Weir Solo Acoustic Tower Theatre 9/10/2012

#191817 2 years, 1 month ago
I want to thank Bob for doing the shows in pa and will be at most any he would do again.

There was mistakes made but that happens,most songs were good and i really liked the acoustic version of Big bad blues.
I thought it was cool that bob could find a few laughs with the statement about his demonstration of the beat pedal he was using. He said as he was trying to take off his flip flops that it was not a fashion statement. and i thought maybe he was making a video of how not to take your flip flops off it seemed as though it took like 3 minutes to get them off.

I think if you went to the shows a bob fan you got a good run of shows and if bob is not your favorite band member then you had reason to be critical of some of the mistakes.

One last note on the two shows i made it to is, If you know bob then you already know and come to expect some mistakes,if your expecting perfection maybe you should stay at home and listen to perfect studio recordings.
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#191825 2 years, 1 month ago
stricken wrote:
I want to thank Bob for doing the shows in pa and will be at most any he would do again.

There was mistakes made but that happens,most songs were good and i really liked the acoustic version of Big bad blues.
I thought it was cool that bob could find a few laughs with the statement about his demonstration of the beat pedal he was using. He said as he was trying to take off his flip flops that it was not a fashion statement. and i thought maybe he was making a video of how not to take your flip flops off it seemed as though it took like 3 minutes to get them off.

I think if you went to the shows a bob fan you got a good run of shows and if bob is not your favorite band member then you had reason to be critical of some of the mistakes.

One last note on the two shows i made it to is, If you know bob then you already know and come to expect some mistakes,if your expecting perfection maybe you should stay at home and listen to perfect studio recordings.

very well said...i also appreciate that the man has literally hundreds (thousands?) of songs stored on his cranial hard drive and performs them in various formats...lots of the songs he played were not necessarily written for solo acoustic performances, and he has never played them in that format before, so there's a learning curve involved...also as anyone who has ever picked up a guitar knows, it is MUCH more difficult to play acoustic as opposed to electric, and as anyone who has ever performed before knows, it is MUCH easier to play in an ensemble than by one's self

those going to RR and the rest of the fall Furthur tour should be in for a treat as bob's playing on an electric in an ensemble is going to seem like a hot knife through butter for him compared to this mini-tour he just did...i know i'm looking forward to hearing it
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#191827 2 years, 1 month ago
Still Takin It Weirder wrote:
as we used to say "some of these people would cheer and say greatest show ever if Jerry farted into the mic. "

uhm yeah, you never used to say that...i actually said that a couple months ago, but thanks...imitation is the most sincere form of flattery

On 15 Jun 2012 spring mountain high wrote:
i honestly believe jerry could walk onto the stage and fart into the microphone and some poeple would start spinning and cheering and talk about how awesome the show was...

thanks for playing though...now please stop ripping me off and try to post an original thought
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by spring mountain high.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#191845 2 years, 1 month ago
spring mountain high wrote:
Still Takin It Weirder wrote:
as we used to say "some of these people would cheer and say greatest show ever if Jerry farted into the mic. "

uhm yeah, you never used to say that...i actually said that a couple months ago, but thanks...imitation is the most sincere form of flattery

On 15 Jun 2012 spring mountain high wrote:
i honestly believe jerry could walk onto the stage and fart into the microphone and some poeple would start spinning and cheering and talk about how awesome the show was...

thanks for playing though...now please stop ripping me off and try to post an original thought

HAHAHAHAHA dude how do you type with that stick so far up your ass? Nice I have my own pet troll. As far as the second part "jerrys fart" it was a pretty common statement back in the day. Not only that I haved typed this on various sites over the yeats....you came up with it? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ....

"Superficial appreciation of the music" ...you are the only one with "ears"..hahahaha if you want to play deader than thou
I'll play.....nearly 300 GD shows from 81-95 40 JGB nearly 100 Ratdog, 15 or so the dead and now 20 or so further..oh yeah and 2 bobby and the midnights....15 or so Weir -Wasserman...... oh and Burt the original poster I referred to is a musician, I respect his opinion but I guess he's just another "superficial fan of the music" ... oh and not to brag but I have not only met every member of the grateful dead (except jerry although he walked past me one night) I have hung out with them post show for hours on a few very special nights... so take off the rose colored glasses and wholier than thou attitude... everyones opinion is their opinion and sorry if you get butt hurt if someone makes a negative comment about one of your "heroes"... thanks for the laughs!!!!
Jasper
Senior Boarder

#191859 2 years, 1 month ago
Relax everyone, it's just a music discussion forum!
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#191864 2 years, 1 month ago
Jasper wrote:
Relax everyone, it's just a music discussion forum!

True dat Jasper. Speaking of forums the original dead forum for historys sake was rec.music.gdead..then dead.net...then dix pix 5 forum on AOL...tooboard... rattrap.net (ratdog.orgs forefather in the late 90's)... & even after all these years you still got folks like spring mountain who think they are the uber "deadhead" and arbriter of what is "good" dead. There's always a clown or 2 on any board who thinks their opinion is the only valid one..... guess what? Bob solo is not everybodys cup of tea..if you enjoyed it, well thats all that really matters. Believe it or not there were some people back in the day who didn't like Jerry w Kahn acoustic...I still don't "get" that but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I also knew some people who only liked JGB and would not go to Grateful Dead shows. There was a whole contingent of Weir haters back in the day..I mean REALLY harsh haters. Furthur, I still get pained whenever Phil sings Franklins & Eyes... to my ears... well I think you get my drift. Now let me get out of the cyber sandbox ...spring mountain you big bully!!!
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#191959 2 years, 1 month ago
Would love to see >one< of these Solo shows.

Put Jackie and Chris up there with him ! Chris is playing some Weir-ish riffs latley.......No complaints from me.
Solo Bob may not highlight his skill set, which IMHO is crunchy-weir'd-rifft out-texture, though he can play 'round my camp any night

(((((((((WRG Late FALL RUN))))))))))))))

Opnions are like.......... go easy fellas
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by ecojaded.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#191971 2 years, 1 month ago
^^^that's why i warned people. i'm not even going to dignify a few folks who threw out the bait. 1 in 10,000 come for the show.

i would actually have loved to have seen one of the WRG trio shows. i picture it being a lot better than the solo acoustic.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#191992 2 years, 1 month ago
I am perfectly cool with an honest review, especially with mechanics in mind. Just pointed out my opinion that WRG seemed like a nice acoustic fit for Bob..hit along a similar vibe and took some of the pressure off his playing surly. That and I have major crush on Chris and Jackie as of late, man they have soul !

Some folks feel the need to beat their point into others, subjective considering we all have different sensory taste buds. I also believe you and I addressed this last solo run. I wished I could see Bob solo once, was jealous of the East Shows again and came across snarky toward your review. Not my intentions Bro, thank you for the honest review I take no offense in your words....others however
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#192002 2 years, 1 month ago
I can't wait to finally catch a WRG show

I could be totally off here only judging from audience recordings I've heard but as cool as the acoustic trio is, it almost seems to me like the 3 of them are slightly restricted playing together where as they can really go all out during each of their 3 solo performances.

That's not meant as anything negative towards the trio cause I've heard and dig all their shows so far. Obviously the more shows they do, the better and more comfortable they'll continue to get.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds