• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
hyjacker
Junior Boarder

Re: Bob Weir Solo Acoustic Tower Theatre 9/10/2012

#191597 2 years, 1 month ago
Bob said at the show that he is just getting used to the format and the conversions from standard 440 electric tuning to the multiple open tunings he was using. I thought he put his heart and should all in on this one. He reached as far as he could and when you do that you'll make some mistakes but you'll also get some brilliant moments and there were way more of the latter than the former. I thought that show was great. I willing to accept the mistakes because he reaches so hard. Id rather get that then have him play it safe with standard tuning and chords./ He also had a giant laceration on the let hand that was causing problems as well. Great show all around and would see him in this format tomorrow, It also my understanding that he intends to do more of this when he can.
josephine
Junior Boarder

#191598 2 years, 1 month ago
Please share! can you let me know if you are uploading it? or attach it here?
Thanks so much for recording, so sad to miss the show
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#191645 2 years, 1 month ago
shakedown71 wrote:
i recorded the show last night. sounds great. i haven't posted it yet, not sure when i can get to it. would love to share it. let me know how you would like to get it.

would love to hear this...PM sent
The following user(s) said Thank You: mboogie35
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#191647 2 years, 1 month ago
wlewis wrote:
warning: if you don't like what i have to say, ignore it

i thought this show was subpar at absolute best, the night before in hershey being even worse (for weir). this format is not the problem. i actually love bob weir, and i love whatever endeavor he wants to fuck around with, especially if it's him solo acoustic. only thing: HE NEEDS TO PRACTICE. a few songs sound great but the rest is garbage. he opens the sets strong but then falls apart. TMNS and minglewood was cool, what was that little thing in the middle of TMNS, anyone know? he busts out esau only to really be one of the biggest embarrassments of the night. he consistently played the wrong chords during the shadowboxing the apocylpse line, totally botched the bridge, and couldn't remember the lyrics, after telling us he got it just right after all this time. artificial flowers was a great surprise. the WRS was an awesome choice but man, if you can't play that prelude, what's the fuckin' point?

2nd set was better but still lots of holes and mistakes. phil and furthur make bob sounds 1 zillion times better. this stuff just makes me miss furthur, big time. although, with furthur, we don't get things like "easy to slip". in all, it's worth seeing at least once for novelty but now after a 3rd attempt, i don't foresee myself spending money to go see that stuff again. i said that last time too, LOL.

bob, please practice this stuff if you want to charge enormous amounts of money and try playing venues furthur was selling out.

can totally see where you're coming from, hence my 'warts and all' comment, but I'd seen enough snippets that I knew much better than to expect a polished performance...to me this format is more like a casual night of weir strumming on the back porch, which i thought was really interesting, at least for a weirdo such as myself
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#191689 2 years, 1 month ago
wlewis wrote:
warning: if you don't like what i have to say, ignore it

i thought this show was subpar at absolute best, the night before in hershey being even worse (for weir). this format is not the problem. i actually love bob weir, and i love whatever endeavor he wants to fuck around with, especially if it's him solo acoustic. only thing: HE NEEDS TO PRACTICE. a few songs sound great but the rest is garbage. he opens the sets strong but then falls apart. TMNS and minglewood was cool, what was that little thing in the middle of TMNS, anyone know? he busts out esau only to really be one of the biggest embarrassments of the night. he consistently played the wrong chords during the shadowboxing the apocylpse line, totally botched the bridge, and couldn't remember the lyrics, after telling us he got it just right after all this time. artificial flowers was a great surprise. the WRS was an awesome choice but man, if you can't play that prelude, what's the fuckin' point?

2nd set was better but still lots of holes and mistakes. phil and furthur make bob sounds 1 zillion times better. this stuff just makes me miss furthur, big time. although, with furthur, we don't get things like "easy to slip". in all, it's worth seeing at least once for novelty but now after a 3rd attempt, i don't foresee myself spending money to go see that stuff again. i said that last time too, LOL.

bob, please practice this stuff if you want to charge enormous amounts of money and try playing venues furthur was selling out.

First I did not attend any of these shows. While the intimacy is certainly cool as shit I had a feeling Bobby alone acoustic could be a stretch. For clarity..I was a big fan of the Weir/Wasserman shows back in the day. I give kudos to Wlewis for keepin it real. I again admit I was not there... only the 2nd Weir appearance in Philly that I have missed since 84. That said I have watched some of the videos and am underwhelmed. The Brother Esau in particular was an absolute train wreck. When I saw the setlist I was kickin myself.... but after watching alot of the vids my worst musical fears were confirmed. Of course being there is a totally different experience.... not to harsh anybodys mellow but as we used to say "some of these people would cheer and say greatest show ever if Jerry farted into the mic. " All i could envision prior was going to the show and me thinkin "where the hell is the rest of the band?" For the record I did a mini run of Jerry acoustic shows back in 84 and well he could pull it off ..and as in Weir/Wasserman at least he had someone to "play" off of. Glad I passed on this. For those who dug it you are certainly entitled to your opinion and its as valid as mine. I just wanted to say my review based on the vids would be damn near identical to WLewis's " call em like I hear em" l
mboogie35
Fresh Boarder

#191702 2 years, 1 month ago
I WOULD LOVE A COPY OF THE SHOW FOR MY CD COLLECTION,REALLY ENJOYED THIS ONE VERY VERY MUCH... IF U COULD LET ME KNOW HOW TO RECIEVE A COPY FROM U ID APPRECIATE IT,JUS LET ME KNOW WAT U NEED.... THANK YOU AGAIN.....
mboogie35
Fresh Boarder

#191704 2 years, 1 month ago
i would love a copy,let me know how to get a copy of the recording from u,u could mail it to my house,anyway i can get,am anticipating a copy of this show on cd.... REALLY REALLY NEED THIS SHOW....
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#191710 2 years, 1 month ago
I could totally see his solo stuff being hit or miss. The short solos he did with WRG this summer in Colorado I thought were friggin good. He did the whole WRS in Boulder Theatre and tore the place down. Glad I caught him on his "on" nights!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#191735 2 years, 1 month ago
I thought it was a great show and the turn out was better then I expected to. nice close to a sweet little run, he was so into it and all mistakes were laughed about in good fun. never looked frustrated or anything, just up there having a good time. all in all he was right on this run, probably forgot about as many lyrics as an average 4 show Furthur run and he was singing all night. can't wait to catch more of these.

I loved the solo electric to, to bad he didn't more of them...

and speaking of mistakes, its funny last year in Bearsville he did Mississippi Half-Step to open the 2nd set and its comes time for the 2nd verse and he's looking up in the air then stops and asks the crowd for the first line. - then this year he opens the 1st set with Truckin' and same thing hes looking in the air when the 2nd verse comes around and he stops and asks the crowd for the first line again. good stuff
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by MushroomMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#191736 2 years, 1 month ago
I could see how I would certainly not go to see this format night after night, like you could with the GD or now with Furthur; and I can definitely see how it wouldn't appeal to someone that only possessed a superficial appreciation of the music.
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds