• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

Bob Weir Solo Acoustic Tower Theatre 9/10/2012

#191309 2 years ago
Music No stop
Minglewood
Brother esau
Loose Lucy
Paint my Masterpiece
Artificial Flowers
Weather report suite
Let it grow

set break

9:50 start -set 2
stomp box demo
Ashes and Glass
Big Bad Blues
Easy to Slip
Peggy O
Hell in a bucket
Dear Prudence
Sugar Magnolia
* Thanks
E Broke down Palace

Really enjoyed this. First time for me at a Bob solo show. Had 11th row DFC, so it was like having the man playing in my living room. Firstly, I have to give credit for going out there by himself with just an acoustic guitar. Also have to say his voice sounded amazing...really fine. Great crowd, not a lot of chatter, lots of friendly faces. Missed the FFF hangout in the lot, but spotted WLewis in the lobby and gave him the BertSignal, but he had no idea who I was. That was kind of funny. I cruised the beautiful back roads of chester and delaware county from the job in malvern down to the mean streets of upper darby and was pleasantly surprised to find people hanging in the garage pre-show...cracked some coldies and chowed down and met some new friends and rolled into the theatre about 7:45. Very mellow scene. I liked the tie-dye tour shirt, but just could not pull the trigger at $30.

I could see how this would not be for everyone...a little something for the faithful. If you think you might like to watch Bob Weir tool around on the acoustic for a few hours (then there might be something profoundly wrong with you), then by golly this is the show for you. He puts it all out there, warts and everything, and you get rewarded with brilliance, soul, warmth, and a really interesting interpretation of the catalogue. Highlights for me were Music Never Stopped->MInglewood, WRS, BBB, Peggy-O and Sugar Mags. Would definitely catch this again. Hopefully in a somewhat smaller place. I like the Tower, but it was just a bit cavernous for this show. This would have been better suited to the TLA, Keswick, Colonial in Phoenixville or Reading PAC.

Thanks very much to Mr Weir for another great evening of music, fun and friendship. Hope to do it again reallll soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, the highway terror, dano, Cub, njt1rider
garygnu
Fresh Boarder

Re: Bob Weir Solo Acoustic Tower Theatre 9/10/2012

#191352 2 years ago
I have to agree. I was up in the balcony, and even there the sound was great, and it still had the impression that Bob was playing for me and a few thousand of my closest friends.

Highlight for me was probably Brother Esau. Hearing it "unadulterated", such as it was, gave me a new appreciation for the song.

A little disappointed Monkey and the Engineer didn't make the appears he said it might, but all in all, it was not a show to be missed
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#191353 2 years ago
easy to slip:

Last Edit: 2 years ago by spring mountain high.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, dano, Cub, Griff
mboogie35
Fresh Boarder

#191371 2 years ago
if any1 has info on how to get this show on cd from the tower 9-10-2012 id grately appreciate it.... PLEASE PLEASE HELP
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#191491 2 years ago

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Cub
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#191517 2 years ago
I thought this show was fantastic. When I first saw Bobby in this format, in Wilkes Barre in April, I was impressed even though I felt he was still evolving. Well folks, he's evolved just fine. Strong, confident, commanding, he was totally on top of his game. The slide work was just vicious. And I agree that he was really making that personal connection with the audience. All today I've been walking around with that warm feeling I always got from great Dead shows that the band actually shared something important with us.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
shakedown71
Fresh Boarder

#191523 2 years ago
i recorded the show last night. sounds great. i haven't posted it yet, not sure when i can get to it. would love to share it. let me know how you would like to get it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan, mboogie35, josephine
Jasper
Senior Boarder

#191535 2 years ago
I wish he would hit the west/ north west with a couple of these shows!

J
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#191537 2 years ago
I'm sure he will eventually. And by that time he'll be even better.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#191569 2 years ago
warning: if you don't like what i have to say, ignore it

i thought this show was subpar at absolute best, the night before in hershey being even worse (for weir). this format is not the problem. i actually love bob weir, and i love whatever endeavor he wants to fuck around with, especially if it's him solo acoustic. only thing: HE NEEDS TO PRACTICE. a few songs sound great but the rest is garbage. he opens the sets strong but then falls apart. TMNS and minglewood was cool, what was that little thing in the middle of TMNS, anyone know? he busts out esau only to really be one of the biggest embarrassments of the night. he consistently played the wrong chords during the shadowboxing the apocylpse line, totally botched the bridge, and couldn't remember the lyrics, after telling us he got it just right after all this time. artificial flowers was a great surprise. the WRS was an awesome choice but man, if you can't play that prelude, what's the fuckin' point?

2nd set was better but still lots of holes and mistakes. phil and furthur make bob sounds 1 zillion times better. this stuff just makes me miss furthur, big time. although, with furthur, we don't get things like "easy to slip". in all, it's worth seeing at least once for novelty but now after a 3rd attempt, i don't foresee myself spending money to go see that stuff again. i said that last time too, LOL.

bob, please practice this stuff if you want to charge enormous amounts of money and try playing venues furthur was selling out.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds