• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

Quick review of the Yardbirds

#188847 1 year, 12 months ago
Went to see the Yardbirds Wed 8/29 at the Crystal Ballroom in Portland.

Drummer Jim McCarty was the only original member present, Chris Dreja has been and was still ill. Singer Andy Mitchell is talented and becoming a great harp player. Guitarist Ben King, though no Jeff Beck, was quite good and did his best to fill the gap left by the absence of Dreja but I really missed the rhythm guitar on many of the arrangements.

They played the standard mid-60’s Yardbird hits interspersed with some bluesy new numbers; the old stuff sounded pretty dated and they needed to throw some jams in there but they shined on the new stuff. One oldie that was really good was Train Kept a Rollin’ and my favorite of the night was Smokestack Lightning!

They ended the set with Dazed & Confused which was decent but Mitchell really rushed the lyrics, not playing them out in full ala Robert Plant – missed that. And no bow on the guitar!

Overall, I thought the show was fun and worthwhile to check out but no amazing moments.

This was sparsely attended (never saw the Crystal so empty!) and I do not get how so many people can stand with out moving or sit for an entire show but bouncing around with my energetic companion on the wooden dance-on-air floor of the Crystal was a really good time!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, SunshineSue
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

Re: Quick review of the Yardbirds

#189263 1 year, 12 months ago
I saw the Yardbirds last winter and it was the same deal -- no Chris Dreja but otherwise a prefectly enjoyable show. Unfortunately, the warm up band was three quarters of the original Vanilla Fudge and they easily blew the Yardbirds off the stage.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

Re: Quick review of the Yardbirds

#190162 1 year, 11 months ago
Equinox wrote:
I saw the Yardbirds last winter and it was the same deal -- no Chris Dreja but otherwise a prefectly enjoyable show. Unfortunately, the warm up band was three quarters of the original Vanilla Fudge and they easily blew the Yardbirds off the stage.

I wish this tour had been with Vanilla Fudge!
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds