• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

Re: Brooklyn prediction

#173635 2 years, 1 month ago
A couple of longed-for long-shots by me After Midnight>Eleanor Rigby> After Midnight. Also The Beatles The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill on which Jeff and Sunshine could, well, ahem, shine, as well as the whole band.

The last night at the Beacon run had an incredible Help>Slip>Golden Road>Slip> Franklins.'

The Golden Road that late in the set and sandwiched in that traditional combo had the the whole crowd wild with energy.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

Re: how to spot the nypd

#173640 2 years, 1 month ago
Sustainabill wrote:

The NYPD will be out in force once again. There will be lots of uniformed officers, and lots of undercover cops who look a lot like us. They dress like us, and park unmarked cars in our parking lot (The Shakedown lot was alongside the stadium on the first base side.) The cops periodically go back to their cars in the lot. Please know your neighbors. Operation Deadhead must bring a lot of revenue into NYC, and the number of folks that I saw being hauled off 2 years ago was far too many.

I tried to warn fans as I offered raspberries, and urged them to pass this on. There were at least a half-dozen tie-dyed undercover cops that were busy bringing folks to the paddy wagon in front of the ticket office. After one of them overheard me warning folks by pointing out the undercover cops, the police moved the center of their operation to another location.

Be careful. Know your surroundings. If you spot the paddy wagon, you will see the cops in dyes with their prey. Take their pictures, and share with others. Print the pictures. Post them. Be careful, folks, and have fun!
NY cops wear their badges on a chain around their neck same type of chain dog tags use or pull chain on a ceiling fanlook for badge bulge under the coller area up front also back of waist or backpocket will be radio/gun cuffs also bulge around ankle on long pants is a leg holster
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by 83msg1sttyme.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadegad
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#173656 2 years, 1 month ago
SunshineSue wrote:
Sugaree1 wrote:
McGanahanSkjellyfetti wrote:
Sugaree1 wrote:
Lets save the LL>Supp for Saturday night if possible folks, not one of my faves...

Wait until you see this performed live, you'll be converted. It's a jam fest.

Ive seen it live my friend, not Furthur of course. Just not for me.

I've got to say I've never completely understood the intense excitement at seeing this brought back. It's a good song, I always liked it when I heard the Dead play it live. But it was never a tune that sent me into orbit. The jams with it were good, but not like a Playin or Estimated jam could be.

I agree with this SS. I saw LL live in 84. Supplication a bunch of times. LL is a song i do not crave. The novelty of seeing it or hearing it again live would be a nice nugget but not earth shattering in the least. The tune is hard for me to follow. But that is just me.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by newyawker.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#173659 2 years, 1 month ago
the appeal of lazy lightning is not only based upon how elusive it is, but moreso for me is the time, 7 beats per measure, like an estimated, it's different, coupled with the key changes and the extremely free form section of supplication, it's fun to hear, and even more fun to play!

i'll never forget after a couple teases the actual supplication bust out in nyc 2011-03-12..they were just kind of sitting there hanging on the d minor for a while and i thought i heard it bubbling from the abyss of phil's rippling ocean and all of a sudden weir is all "dizzy ain't the word.." oh boy he did not just do that, yeah yeah he did. now if we can just get jk russo and chimenti to nail that intro to lazy do-do do-do do! do do-do-do! BAH BAH!!!, lazy lightning! hahaha CONEY ISLAND BABY!!! taking off for brooklyn in about 30 mins, see ya'll there!
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: GreatestStoryEverTold, SunshineSue
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#173668 2 years, 1 month ago
David Welker drew a soothing poster

Thank You Jerry
The following user(s) said Thank You: skidoo, gtrips
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#173671 2 years, 1 month ago
fubalicious wrote:
For Saturday I see a Woody Guthrie song to celebrate his 100th birthday
Going Down The Road Feelin Bad opener

That would be really nice to mark the night like that! I hope they think to do it.

And welcome to the Forum!
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#173672 2 years, 1 month ago
wlewis wrote:
the appeal of lazy lightning is not only based upon how elusive it is, but moreso for me is the time, 7 beats per measure, like an estimated, it's different, coupled with the key changes and the extremely free form section of supplication, it's fun to hear, and even more fun to play!

i'll never forget after a couple teases the actual supplication bust out in nyc 2011-03-12..they were just kind of sitting there hanging on the d minor for a while and i thought i heard it bubbling from the abyss of phil's rippling ocean and all of a sudden weir is all "dizzy ain't the word.." oh boy he did not just do that, yeah yeah he did. now if we can just get jk russo and chimenti to nail that intro to lazy do-do do-do do! do do-do-do! BAH BAH!!!, lazy lightning! hahaha CONEY ISLAND BABY!!! taking off for brooklyn in about 30 mins, see ya'll there!

I will say I enjoy the music more than the vocal cadence. unlike Estimated, which has a superior power and flow to it, LL (to me) sounds as if Bobby was not able to make the vocals fit the melody. I do appreciate what you say about the 7 beats lewie.

Have a grate time...
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#173683 2 years, 1 month ago
An LL Sup would be much more than novelty to me. I would lose my shit if they play it this weekend. GD 76 -78 is a favorite time for me BECAUSE of those killer LL Sups. I love the transition from LL to Supp I think it is trippy.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#173685 2 years, 1 month ago
It's an obsession but it's pleasing!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#173691 2 years, 1 month ago
save it for bethel i would love to catch it havent heard one in a long time aside from archive
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, tenecjed
McGanahanSkjellyfetti
Junior Boarder

#173765 2 years, 1 month ago
SunshineSue wrote:
Sugaree1 wrote:
McGanahanSkjellyfetti wrote:
Sugaree1 wrote:
Lets save the LL>Supp for Saturday night if possible folks, not one of my faves...

Wait until you see this performed live, you'll be converted. It's a jam fest.

Ive seen it live my friend, not Furthur of course. Just not for me.

I've got to say I've never completely understood the intense excitement at seeing this brought back. It's a good song, I always liked it when I heard the Dead play it live. But it was never a tune that sent me into orbit. The jams with it were good, but not like a Playin or Estimated jam could be.

I can't recall how many times I saw them do LL>Supplication, but there is one stand out performance at Red Rocks in '83. 12 minutes of bliss, followed by Might As Well to close what was a pretty killer set. I like that it was a uptempo song with some incredible dynamics, and big open spaces for some fine Jerry licks, and in the first set where it could have been a second set pairing. It was also quite the work out for the drummers.
McGanahanSkjellyfetti
Junior Boarder

#173766 2 years, 1 month ago
wlewis wrote:

Well put. Yes, it is an interesting time signature. It's certainly another example of what made the Grateful Dead one of a kind. I always liked how Supplication concluded with such thunder. Everyone was firing on all cylinders. I think it would certainly be interesting to hear what Furthur could do with this.
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds