• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

Re: Brooklyn prediction

#173672 2 years, 3 months ago
wlewis wrote:
the appeal of lazy lightning is not only based upon how elusive it is, but moreso for me is the time, 7 beats per measure, like an estimated, it's different, coupled with the key changes and the extremely free form section of supplication, it's fun to hear, and even more fun to play!

i'll never forget after a couple teases the actual supplication bust out in nyc 2011-03-12..they were just kind of sitting there hanging on the d minor for a while and i thought i heard it bubbling from the abyss of phil's rippling ocean and all of a sudden weir is all "dizzy ain't the word.." oh boy he did not just do that, yeah yeah he did. now if we can just get jk russo and chimenti to nail that intro to lazy do-do do-do do! do do-do-do! BAH BAH!!!, lazy lightning! hahaha CONEY ISLAND BABY!!! taking off for brooklyn in about 30 mins, see ya'll there!

I will say I enjoy the music more than the vocal cadence. unlike Estimated, which has a superior power and flow to it, LL (to me) sounds as if Bobby was not able to make the vocals fit the melody. I do appreciate what you say about the 7 beats lewie.

Have a grate time...
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#173683 2 years, 3 months ago
An LL Sup would be much more than novelty to me. I would lose my shit if they play it this weekend. GD 76 -78 is a favorite time for me BECAUSE of those killer LL Sups. I love the transition from LL to Supp I think it is trippy.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#173685 2 years, 3 months ago
It's an obsession but it's pleasing!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#173691 2 years, 3 months ago
save it for bethel i would love to catch it havent heard one in a long time aside from archive
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, tenecjed
McGanahanSkjellyfetti
Junior Boarder

#173765 2 years, 3 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
Sugaree1 wrote:
McGanahanSkjellyfetti wrote:
Sugaree1 wrote:
Lets save the LL>Supp for Saturday night if possible folks, not one of my faves...

Wait until you see this performed live, you'll be converted. It's a jam fest.

Ive seen it live my friend, not Furthur of course. Just not for me.

I've got to say I've never completely understood the intense excitement at seeing this brought back. It's a good song, I always liked it when I heard the Dead play it live. But it was never a tune that sent me into orbit. The jams with it were good, but not like a Playin or Estimated jam could be.

I can't recall how many times I saw them do LL>Supplication, but there is one stand out performance at Red Rocks in '83. 12 minutes of bliss, followed by Might As Well to close what was a pretty killer set. I like that it was a uptempo song with some incredible dynamics, and big open spaces for some fine Jerry licks, and in the first set where it could have been a second set pairing. It was also quite the work out for the drummers.
McGanahanSkjellyfetti
Junior Boarder

#173766 2 years, 3 months ago
wlewis wrote:
the appeal of lazy lightning is not only based upon how elusive it is, but moreso for me is the time, 7 beats per measure, like an estimated, it's different, coupled with the key changes and the extremely free form section of supplication, it's fun to hear, and even more fun to play!

i'll never forget after a couple teases the actual supplication bust out in nyc 2011-03-12..they were just kind of sitting there hanging on the d minor for a while and i thought i heard it bubbling from the abyss of phil's rippling ocean and all of a sudden weir is all "dizzy ain't the word.." oh boy he did not just do that, yeah yeah he did. now if we can just get jk russo and chimenti to nail that intro to lazy do-do do-do do! do do-do-do! BAH BAH!!!, lazy lightning! hahaha CONEY ISLAND BABY!!! taking off for brooklyn in about 30 mins, see ya'll there!

Well put. Yes, it is an interesting time signature. It's certainly another example of what made the Grateful Dead one of a kind. I always liked how Supplication concluded with such thunder. Everyone was firing on all cylinders. I think it would certainly be interesting to hear what Furthur could do with this.
Gratefulsteve
Fresh Boarder

#173779 2 years, 3 months ago
Tomorrow, Saturday July 14th, would have been Woody Guthrie's 100th Birthday. Woody lived on Mermaid ave in Coney Island !! I'm hoping for some type of tribute ..."This Land is Your Land" 1st encore perhaps.. don't forget the roots boys !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: skidoo
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#173788 2 years, 3 months ago
wlewis wrote:

yes man. LL is a musical masterpiece, I love the feel of the 7 time, def one of weirs more elaborate works. The jam between the two is really something else too. Like you said its very veryyyy elusive, mystical and you never know when it gonna strike. It will be a night to remember if it comes out, guaranteed!
McGanahanSkjellyfetti
Junior Boarder

#173803 2 years, 3 months ago
Gratefulsteve wrote:
Tomorrow, Saturday July 14th, would have been Woody Guthrie's 100th Birthday. Woody lived on Mermaid ave in Coney Island !! I'm hoping for some type of tribute ..."This Land is Your Land" 1st encore perhaps.. don't forget the roots boys !!

Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad would work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: skidoo
skidoo
Gold Boarder
skidoo, skidoo.....ski-doo doo doodlie doo doo doo

#173951 2 years, 3 months ago
Take Me Out to The Ball Game>Merry Go Round Broke Down>Spring Song
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds