• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

Merriweather trip/review - Audio added

#171966 2 years, 3 months ago
Out of the house by 12:30 and got to the Green Turtle about 2. As we came in Reckoning was soundchecking Masterpiece.
After an excellent lunch with accompanying pina coladas and other liquid libations... Reckoning came on onstage and boy you guys are tight!!!! Really really good stuff off the top of my head some highlightes were Sisters and Brothers, Dark Hollow, Sweet Chariot, Race is On, Monkey & the Engineer, Jack Straw.....damn it was all good and it was nice to be out of the heat and gettin our swerve on in the nice ac. Ran into a bunch of old friends and it was a perfect preshow. Then off to Merriweather..after pulling into the wrong side of the venue we finally got back out and into the lot. 420 was in full gear and we parked next to another bunch of folks we knew. After a short break to the chocalate factory for a taste testing session and some more libations we started to head in at 6:30. We had pit tix and ambled up to what would be 3rd row between Bob and Phil. With one minor exception ( some drunk as shit dude pushing his way up and fighting with his gf ..thank god it was only about a minute of drama) the crowd was in good rocking form. Made friends with those around us and had an evening long coughing session no security prescence what so ever. It wasn't even that crowded plenty of room to dance ... lets get on with the show---- Was hopin for a Bertha to open but was NOT dissapointed as I could hear em tuning up Bucket. Bucket was very strong Bobby really stretching and hittin it at the end like it was 1985...least I'm enjoyin the ride yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh.....yes ... was still thinkin Bertha would be next but instead we got a rockin Candyman "pass the whiskey round" was very appropriate .... Althea the place was gettin hot--it was hot but not brutal. Outstanding. ...........then it was hoe down time. Cumberland!!!! My personal all time favorite did not dissapoint. Crowd and band in a frenzy. A plus plus plus....this is why I still drag my old ass to shows!! Then bam Looks Like Rain. It was like 6/30/85 all over again. Bobby in all rock star mode....great stuff another personal fave DEEP......wow have to catch my breath here this first set is crushing.. Cold rain and snow came outta left field and slowed things down a lil. Seemed like a weird set placement .. it was decent ...... Then Cosmic Charlie my favorite Phil.......the harmonies at the end were TIGHT. Overall this Set an A plus-..could not have asked for more... a dream set phenomenally played.

Allright onto set 2 it picks up right where set 1 left off. Sailor> Saint woohooo massive bobbage. Not the greatest versions ever but super HIGH on the fun scale. The hoe down was continuing. Then Bird Song. Not my favorite song selection (this one misses Jerry bad).... but still very well played. Here comes the Help slip. Overplayed yes. BUT there's a reason why--they kill it. Massive crescendos....into Passenger.. super high energy ...back into slipnot massive jammage... to the obligatory Franklins. I love Franklins and it was certainly rocking and had the crowd dance festival in full swing. I do miss Jerry on this one though. A DEEEEEEEEEEppp So Many Roads was just exactly perfect. Happy feet festival continued during a raved up Throwin Stones. There was a time a long time ago that I tired of hearing this one but I love it now. Great energy. Here is my one and only picky deadhead beef I really thought a NFA would be appropriate as the crowd was 100% into the whole show . It was not to be ( or a Lovelight).... The boyz came back for our Sunday service Sampson and this was another home run. Whole band tearing it up. Great night everything was and went "smooth as silk" . Thanks guys for another long long crazy crazy night! (pics to follow later---and thanks to Reckoning too you folks were a helluva "opening" band)
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: skidoo, kmhpsu, dead_in_ky
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Merriweather trip/review - Audio added.

#172361 2 years, 3 months ago
WOW- 200 plus reads no comments????? Just found this for your pre show listening pleasure.

archive.org/details/furthur2012-07-08.furthur2012-07-08
Zipster
Platinum Boarder
Smile, Smile, Smile

Re: Merriweather trip/review - Audio added.

#172377 2 years, 3 months ago
FurthurSummer2012Pt.1207.JPG
Monty__Capuletti
Junior Boarder

Re: Merriweather trip/review - Audio added

#172702 2 years, 3 months ago
LOVE this review. you pretty much hit the nail on the head. between philly and merriweather i pretty much got all the songs i wanted (DARK STAR!!!!!) but merriweather was special. could've used a NFA but it's all good! sooooo much fun, great show, good crowd, high energy, no rain!

excellent review, love it!
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#172790 2 years, 3 months ago
I got my cold rain and snow it was a hot show I mean hot man !!!!! ring me out daddy!!!!
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#172804 2 years, 3 months ago
Monty__Capuletti wrote:
LOVE this review. you pretty much hit the nail on the head. between philly and merriweather i pretty much got all the songs i wanted (DARK STAR!!!!!) but merriweather was special. could've used a NFA but it's all good! sooooo much fun, great show, good crowd, high energy, no rain!

excellent review, love it!

Glad you enjoyed it. I've been encouraged to write a book for years on my insane life/touring... funny I can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday but I can remember every one of the hundreds of grateful dead & related shows I've been too. I even have the title and an illustrator. I lived through the pablo escobar 80's ...caught many legendary shows and had a gazzillion only at a dead show moments of incredible & miraculous shit happen. My problem is it would have to be like a 5 volume work --my high school days alone could fill a volume.... lets just say I got on the bus at 14 and attended a HIGH school that made Fast Times at Ridgemont high look like a nursery school. My credo in the day was "to much of everything is just enough" .... well it kinda still is hahaha............. another whole volume or 2 for my 5 year college experience....not to mention volumes on just the shows I attended (reviews) themselves. Shit I'm makin excuses... I need to get it done. Thanks again for the kind words.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alilfurther
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#172807 2 years, 3 months ago
i walked around the parking lot all day screaming "wits!!!"

i didn't find you
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#172814 2 years, 3 months ago
wlewis wrote:
i walked around the parking lot all day screaming "wits!!!"

i didn't find you

HAHA.. ok now I feel really bad. First let me say you did stand right next to us in Wilkes Barre last year but I wasn't 100% sure it was you. I spotted the whole FFF gang inside the pit ---right as the band was coming on. You folks were about 20 ft directly behind me ..I spotted you & then TMglf..and was going back to say hi and the wife told me no go as it was gettin packed up there (about 5-10ft from the rail between Bob and Phil). I figured I'd come back and say hi at setbreak but you had all allready headed for set relief breaks/refreshments when I came through. If I can get Jen to finally load up our pictures (preshow none from inside) I'm sure you'll recognize us you coulda hit us underhanded with a small rock we were that close. Hope you had a great one--not quite 6-30-85 but a damn good show sprinkled with Merriweather magic (especially set 1).
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds