• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

roger waters--the wall---2012-06-21

#165677 2 years, 4 months ago
let me preface the entire post with this: i am not really a big pink floyd fan. i've been exposed to their stuff and always found it to be kind of dark and depressing. very few of their songs "lifted" me. well, a friend offered me a free ticket to go see the wall tonight. i really wasn't sure what to expect. i'd heard a bit from other folks over the past year or so about it. i was more interested hoping to see roger waters playing bass.

the line getting in was obnoxious. i've never seen a line like that in my life including stanley cup playoff finals there many years ago. thing wrapped around too many city blocks. by the time we get halfway thru we are waved up to another entrance. turns out to take even longer, brutal. made it in just in time for the start of the show.

we had great seats, club level which is about halfway up. same venue furthur played last fall. perfect sightlines from the opposite end of the stage. could see EVERYTHING.

i don't even know where to begin. my mind was blown from the second i looked at the stage. weird weird stuff.

large puppets, kids dancing, a full band rocking, sounding very tight and LOUD. in hindsight i should have brought my earplugs! the entire production behind everything was just stunning. so well put together. the wall essentially acts as a screen, as well as the one above the stage. it's a real sensory overload at times. i will admit i felt a little out of place on occasion especially when he'd start yelling it was like we were at some protest or rally or something. this show really had me thinking, re-thinking, concluding, confusing, you name it. brings a lot of things to your attention in the world and with society. and the music. seeing this did way more for me than any cd with original group has. i developed a newfound different type of respect for their songwriting. might not be that way for everybody.

waters did quite a bit of talking at times. other than his yelling he had told little anecdotes about stuff on the screens really. showed some really old school footage of him playing mother from way back, and he played over it, it was pretty cool. he didn 't play as much bass as i'd hoped. but he played some acoustic guitar, tons of singing and even some trumpet at the very end.

i don't have much else right now, i'm still soaking it in and processing it all. i would definitely see it again, and i'm really glad i was able to be there tonight.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

Re: roger waters--the wall---2012-06-21

#165708 2 years, 4 months ago
Nice review Bert. I saw Waters with Clapton back in '84 and also got sensory overload. I found it hard to concentrate on the music with all the video screens and theatrics. Here is Mother from last night.

Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#165731 2 years, 4 months ago
Uhhh yeah hello duh!

Sorry dude I don't mean to be a jerk, but it's Roger Waters doing the Wall, there's nothing like it anywhere on this planet or universe for that matter...

Pink Floyd is one band that really makes you think, more so than any other band I have followed. God I wish they would get together one last time ....
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#165732 2 years, 4 months ago
Pink Floyd is more music for the mind and less the body while GD is body, mind, and soul! lol

But I'm so glad you had a wonderful time!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#165735 2 years, 4 months ago
I saw it a few weeks ago and still can't quite process it.

:

*and thats one hell of a free ticket Lewis
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#165740 2 years, 4 months ago
Pink Floyd has fed my head since I was a young teen. The Wall is far from my favorite of their music (Wish You Were Here was my first and favorite LP) but the show is like nothing else! Glad you got to experience it!
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#165741 2 years, 4 months ago
Ahhh the kids these days don't know what to think of Roger Waters/Pink Floyd.

Again sorry for the smart ass comments but I guess I am a little shocked. Then again I/we grew up with Floyd but they haven't really been around much the last couple of decades so I probably shouldn't be so shocked...

Sitting in a bunker here behind my wall
Waiting for the worms to come.
In perfect isolation here behind my wall
Waiting for the worms to come.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
theotherone
Junior Boarder

#165742 2 years, 4 months ago
My introduction to Pink Floyd came one night back in the early 70's....the song title was something like "Several small furry animalsgathered in a cave grooving on a pick" ?? I was extremely psychedelic at the time & that song flatout scared the sh*t outta me. (Fortunately, I escaped back down to my own dorm room, where American Beauty rescued me.)
Avoided Pink Floyd like the plague for the next couple / few decades, & have just in the last few years become able to absorb some Floyd in moderation.
The wife & neighbors mentioned travelling to see the current version of The Wall sometime....told em y'all have a safe trip.
......While the Music Plays the Band.....
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#165743 2 years, 4 months ago
^^^^^^
"Oh the kids these days" - that cracked me up!

We have a really good cover band around these parts called the Floydian Slips. Here they are at the Country Fair Midnight show.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#165935 2 years, 4 months ago
Saw The Wall twice last year and I liked it so much I'm going to see it again in July. There really is nothing like it.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds