• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

2012-06-15 RAMBLE TXR

#164318 2 years, 4 months ago
Phil Lesh & Friends
Lineup: Phil Lesh, Jackie Greene, Mark Karan, Rob Barraco, Jon Graboff, & Tony Leone
RAMBLE - Grate Room, Terrapin Crossroads
San Rafael, CA
Fri. June 15, 2012

Set 1 8:20pm - 9:25pm

Jam >
Jack Straw jg
Loser mk
Ship of Fools jg >
China Cat Sunflower rb >
Mama Tried jg
Good Morning Little Schoolgirl mk >
Sugaree mk & jg

Set 2 10:15pm - 12:00am

Jam >
Estimated Prophet jg >
Eyes of the World pl >
Scarlet Begonias rb >
Fire on the Mountain rb
New Speedway Boogie jg >
Shakedown Street jg >
Jam (Mark Karan quoted "Miss You" by the Rolling Stones) >
Viola Lee Blues v1 all >
Jam >
Viola Lee Blues v2 all >
A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall jg

Donor Rap
E: Casey Jones jg

thanks pz for setlist
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Equinox, Warlock, MushroomMan, nycdave
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

Re: 2012-06-15 RAMBLE TXR

#164502 2 years, 4 months ago
Looks like there might have been some serious fireworks.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#164604 2 years, 4 months ago
this lineup looks killer. i wish i had the money to be there.
but i have to save up for other shows.
trinity tribal stomp and head to head and lazy summer days, and gaia fest, and red rocks, and shoreline, and shwew, im gettin too old for this.
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#164750 2 years, 4 months ago
Thanks to everybody on this board with their lightning-speed information service . Thanks to y'all I was able to pick up tkts to this & Sat's show in a timely way and celebrate my birthday in proper fashion! I had just about come to the sad conclusion that for the first time in I don't know how many years there was to be no May/June Bay area offerings. Fooled again by the most expert pranksters in the business! But as I said, thanks to you all as soon as I saw the dates I was able to score the tickets.

Friday was our first visit to the Grate room, and we were not disappointed. It was a really mellow scene and we settled in nicely (scored two of the about 8 bar stools available for sitting) ahead of the music. The small crowd assembled gathered in front of the stage, sitting on the floor to save their spaces up front. We settled against the wall near the bathroom. The room is fairly small with a good view of the stage from all areas.

By show time the room was really packed, not allowing much room for movement. The music was great, with lots of extended jams amongst the song nuggets offered. I hope the shows will be posted as I am not very good at giving musical reviews in an articulate way; the music was so good I hope every one gets to hear it for themselves. A very good line-up, musician wise. We love Jackie Greene and Mark Karan; hell, we loved everybody. The songs were tight and well delivered, with the variety of Jackie and Marks vocals spiceing up the mix quite a bit. All the band members seemed at ease with each other, and they all took a bow together at the end of both shows, for those that keep track of such things...

In our experience the crowd was mellow and polite. On Friday night, if people were talking, I sure couldn't hear them over the good & loud music. In our area everybody was dancing like mad, but kind of punk style pogueing up and down cause there was only space to move vertically, at first. During the second set some had left so there was a tiny bit more room to dance normally, but it was still pretty tight in there. All in all a very satisfying show.

The second night was a somewhat less crowded for some reason, but it was still fairly packed. The only talker that I could hear was on Sat nite, 2nd set, when some woman was trying to shout down the music, but the music eventually won, and when her chattee moved off to dance she shut up. Other than that, I couldn't hear any talking that bothered me at all. I would say the chatter level in there was no different from seeing Phil & Friends at the Warfield; or the first Furthur shows at the Fox Oakland. People are standing, not sitting in seats, and there would be some mingling going on if you could find space to move around...to them, people are in a bar for a night out with music. It is common for people to be talking quite a bit until the music starts, then all bets are off cause the music is so loud you really have to scream in someone's ear to be heard, but nobody in our area was talking cause they were dancing their asses off.

We had a really good time both nights, although we did not see any old friends there. I think that's about the only down-side, that you don't get the huge variety of people there because the gate is so small...but you do get to be up close and intimate with those that are there, and it's fun to make new friends. Also, FYI, on the first night a guy told us he had just purchased his ticket an hour before the doors opened, and we met at least 3 people who were looking to sell their extra. Sat nite was a different story, with a few people in the lot looking for tickets. Not guaranteeing anything for Furthur, but I'll bet those that want to get in on the Wed. nite might be able to get in, especially if they get there around 4 or 5 PM.
Doors were supposed to be at 6:30, show at 7:30; Friday night doors were actually at 7:00, show at 8:20. Sat night doors ? time, show started at 8:03. We skipped the Sun. show, ahoy mateys, we went to the Pirate Festival instead, which was a real good time, too!

We saw George Clinton and Parliament on Sat at the Juneteenth Festival in Richmond. When I say saw, I really mean only SAW, because, sadly, the sound was so awful (I have never heard a group sound so bad, much less this band of very fine musicians) the sound system was so bad it sounded like we were listening to an old 8 track player ripped out of a decrepit Chevy. And George's mike didn't work hardly at all. It was very disappointing, and just goes to show even the best music can be ruined by inferior equipment.

A great weekend, all in all, and more to come...
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#164752 2 years, 4 months ago
thanks for the review.
sucks about parliments PA, but it sounds like TC was good. i
Blues_Power
Senior Boarder
in the world, but not of the world

#164756 2 years, 4 months ago
a friend of mine who had been just as frustrated with the crowds at TCX went to 2 of the 3 Rambles this weekend. i applauded his loyalty, but was not expecting a glowing report. to my pleasant surprise he said the crowd on both nights was extremely polite and folks actually listened to the music. yaaaaaaaaaay! i really hope this trend continues. fingers crossed.
We will all be together for ever and ever when we make it to the promised land
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#164759 2 years, 4 months ago
Yes, who can say what colors the way people act at shows? It was our first time there in the room, so I can't compare it with anything else. We were at the second night of the soft opening, and people were like walking on egg-shells, everybody was so painstakingly polite. It's funny how when you are amongst such a smaller crowd everyone's actions become so much more magnified, it's like a culture in a petrie dish. On the flip side, everytime I go out to a show in a bar around here lately everybody (the yuth) is talking their heads off. Only if the music is sufficently loud are they drowned out, but that's the kind of rock'n'roll I'm used to and grew up with, so loud you can only tell someone's talking when you see their lips move.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#165087 2 years, 4 months ago
Daisy Mae wrote:
It's funny how when you are amongst such a smaller crowd everyone's actions become so much more magnified, it's like a culture in a petrie dish.

very true.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blues_Power
Blues_Power
Senior Boarder
in the world, but not of the world

#165093 2 years, 4 months ago
wlewis wrote:
Daisy Mae wrote:
It's funny how when you are amongst such a smaller crowd everyone's actions become so much more magnified, it's like a culture in a petrie dish.

very true.

yep, this is exactly my point. if people just had a little bit more awareness as to how their actions impact others things would improve dramatically. i can't tell you how many times someone has said to me when i politely ask them to keep it down.. "but i'm just having a good time". if your good time is ruining other people's good time there is a problem.

it sounds like things at TCX are taking a turn for the better. i hope the trend continues. perhaps someday i will go back, but i need to see a solid trend in the positive direction before i dip my toe back into the water.

i saw 19 shows at TCX before throwing in the towel. some of them were really really good, and at times the crowd was extremely polite. the bad shows were really really bad. hopefully good times lie ahead... we'll see.
We will all be together for ever and ever when we make it to the promised land
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by Blues_Power.
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds