• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

WRG @ Wakarusa Review

#161660 2 years, 2 months ago
From the Carroll County News

REVIEW: Wakarusa Music Festival: Weir, Robinson & Greene Acoustic Trio

Posted Friday, June 1, 2012, at 2:42 PM
Thousands of Wakarusa festival-goers crowded before the Main Stage early Thursday evening to check out the Weir, Robinson & Greene Acoustic Trio's hour-and-a-half set there.
I'm not sure what the majority of them were expecting, because I didn't have a clue what to expect either. I did notice, though, from the droves of younger folks leaving the set early that it either didn't live up to their expectations or, like me, they found it to be a little too much like a jam session in your uncle's living room rather than a Main Stage Wakarusa headliner performance to be impressed enough to stay for the whole set.

(And I hate to write anything negative, but ...)

The trio -- and it was just the three of them on stools, with their guitars, no backing band -- warmed up the crowd by doing, all together, several Dead songs, including "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad," "Loser," and "New Speedway Boogie" (whose line "I spent a little time on the MOUNTAIN" is always very popular with the Mulberry Mountain music fans, as you can imagine).

They also did a charming rendition of Buddy Holly's "Oh Boy" about two songs in that delighted the older set in the crowd but seemed to confuse the younger fans, which I found amusing, falling pretty much right in the middle.

Then they took turns doing solo performances of some of their favorite songs of their own and favorite covers. It was outstanding musicianship, no doubt.

Now, about their sound as a trio: It seemed somewhat disjointed at first, but got much smoother several songs in. Their vocals are beautiful together, even though really their singing styles are very different. Weir sort of forms the older-voice foundation for the melody notes, Greene the "younger" foundation vocals, and Robinson pretty much fills in and finishes off the notes with the vocal acrobatics, you might say. It works wonderfully well, with Weir and Greene starting the words and notes and Robinson practically reading their minds, finishing their syllables and sounds, and adding his own flourishes.

The problem with this set was the tempo simply was lacking for a Main Stage headlining act at Wakarusa, where the audience by this time (8:30 to 10 pm) is ready to get rowdy for the evening; it was far less upbeat than the act prior to it (Railroad Earth) and probably the most mellow set I saw all day on any stage. It just seemed out of place, and I heard a number of folks say as much as I walked around during the show.

Still, with these three musical powerhouses only performing together eight times all year in this new venture of theirs -- and perhaps no more after this year, that remains to be seen -- it was a treat to see and hear them play and sing together.

After all, how often do you get to sit around your uncle's living room with Bob Weir, Chris Robinson and Jackie Greene and listen to them jam and sing their favorite solo songs and trio covers? That's what I thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, ecojaded, Strider1
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

Re: WRG @ Wakarusa Review

#161663 2 years, 2 months ago
American Songwriter will be posting live updates from the Wakarusa music festival in Ozark, Arkansas

Weir, Robinson, & Greene Acoustic Trio
Wakarusa
5/31/12

After entering into the beautiful Wakarusa grounds, surrounded by Ozark Mountains of Arkansas, we quickly set up camp and made our way to the main stage just as the sun began to set. The first act we caught was the Weir, Robinson, & Greene Acoustic Trio. The trio consisted of Bob Weir – singer/songwriter, guitarist, and founding member of the Grateful Dead, Chris Robinson – front man of the Black Crowes, and Jackie Greene – legendary Americana singer/songwriter. A majority of the band’s set consisted of Grateful Dead songs such as, “I Ain’t Broke But I’m Badly Bent,” “New Speedway Boogie,” and “Deep Elem Blues.” However, the group also wound up the crowd with a bluesy cover of the Beatles’ song “Dear Prudence.”

Midway through the set, each member of the trio played a song solo. Starting off the round was Jackie Greene with his ballad, “Uphill Mountain.” Following Greene was Chris Robinson’s not surprising, but intimate cover of Otis Redding’s “That’s How Strong My Love Is.” To conclude the round, Bob Weir walked to the mic and asked the crowd if they wanted to hear a “fast song or a slow song.” Of course the rowdy crowd chose the fast one and Weir started in on his classic, “Throwing Stones.” You could hear the crowd’s affirmation of their choice as they accompanied Weir singing, “ashes, ashes, all fall down.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, ecojaded, Strider1
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#161697 2 years, 2 months ago
Island Head wrote:
From the Carroll County News

REVIEW: Wakarusa Music Festival: Weir, Robinson & Greene Acoustic Trio

Posted Friday, June 1, 2012, at 2:42 PM
Thousands of Wakarusa festival-goers crowded before the Main Stage early Thursday evening to check out the Weir, Robinson & Greene Acoustic Trio's hour-and-a-half set there.
I'm not sure what the majority of them were expecting, because I didn't have a clue what to expect either. I did notice, though, from the droves of younger folks leaving the set early that it either didn't live up to their expectations or, like me, they found it to be a little too much like a jam session in your uncle's living room rather than a Main Stage Wakarusa headliner performance to be impressed enough to stay for the whole set.

(And I hate to write anything negative, but ...)

The trio -- and it was just the three of them on stools, with their guitars, no backing band -- warmed up the crowd by doing, all together, several Dead songs, including "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad," "Loser," and "New Speedway Boogie" (whose line "I spent a little time on the MOUNTAIN" is always very popular with the Mulberry Mountain music fans, as you can imagine).

They also did a charming rendition of Buddy Holly's "Oh Boy" about two songs in that delighted the older set in the crowd but seemed to confuse the younger fans, which I found amusing, falling pretty much right in the middle.

Then they took turns doing solo performances of some of their favorite songs of their own and favorite covers. It was outstanding musicianship, no doubt.

Now, about their sound as a trio: It seemed somewhat disjointed at first, but got much smoother several songs in. Their vocals are beautiful together, even though really their singing styles are very different. Weir sort of forms the older-voice foundation for the melody notes, Greene the "younger" foundation vocals, and Robinson pretty much fills in and finishes off the notes with the vocal acrobatics, you might say. It works wonderfully well, with Weir and Greene starting the words and notes and Robinson practically reading their minds, finishing their syllables and sounds, and adding his own flourishes.

The problem with this set was the tempo simply was lacking for a Main Stage headlining act at Wakarusa, where the audience by this time (8:30 to 10 pm) is ready to get rowdy for the evening; it was far less upbeat than the act prior to it (Railroad Earth) and probably the most mellow set I saw all day on any stage. It just seemed out of place, and I heard a number of folks say as much as I walked around during the show.

Still, with these three musical powerhouses only performing together eight times all year in this new venture of theirs -- and perhaps no more after this year, that remains to be seen -- it was a treat to see and hear them play and sing together.

After all, how often do you get to sit around your uncle's living room with Bob Weir, Chris Robinson and Jackie Greene and listen to them jam and sing their favorite solo songs and trio covers? That's what I thought.

Boo! Hiss ! Kids these days
(They were off to find the dumb step tent)
Island head thank you so much for all of the wonderful posts on the WRG. I really do appreciate all of the videos and reviews.

Also any more info on this reviewers " and perhaps more shows after this year" source would be greatly appreciated
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by ecojaded.
DL1943
Junior Boarder

#161704 2 years, 2 months ago
i could see what the reviewer is talking about. at a big festie by the time 8 or 9 or 10pm rolls around im ready to ROCK and dance...and acoustic bob weir isnt dancing music. i mean, you can twirl, and bob, and dance a bit...but i mean uncontrolable spastic GETTIN FUNKY, dripping sweat all over...thats just not acoustic weir. the acoustic trio as a headliner for a fest like waka is odd IMO. a folk fest headliner theyd fit in perfectly, but not at a more rockin fest. that being said id rather see a 2 set weir-robinson-greene show in a non festival setting than any of the other acts at wakarusa. i didnt really like solo acoustic weir but i love what ive been hearing from the trio...just doesnt seem like the best spot. maybe a mid-day two hour set? not a headliner but given a set twice as long as other sets in that time slot? seems like music for sunny afternoon, not gettin waaaay funky in the dark
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#161706 2 years, 2 months ago
Word
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Chester
More or less in line

#161726 2 years, 2 months ago
Very interesting read. Thanks for posting.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#161994 2 years, 2 months ago
DL1943 wrote:
i could see what the reviewer is talking about. at a big festie by the time 8 or 9 or 10pm rolls around im ready to ROCK and dance...and acoustic bob weir isnt dancing music. i mean, you can twirl, and bob, and dance a bit...but i mean uncontrolable spastic GETTIN FUNKY, dripping sweat all over...thats just not acoustic weir. the acoustic trio as a headliner for a fest like waka is odd IMO. a folk fest headliner theyd fit in perfectly, but not at a more rockin fest. that being said id rather see a 2 set weir-robinson-greene show in a non festival setting than any of the other acts at wakarusa. i didnt really like solo acoustic weir but i love what ive been hearing from the trio...just doesnt seem like the best spot. maybe a mid-day two hour set? not a headliner but given a set twice as long as other sets in that time slot? seems like music for sunny afternoon, not gettin waaaay funky in the dark

I don't know ... Boulder Theatre was pretty damn funky last night!!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds