• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

Re: Rambles at Terrapin Crossroads May 17, 18, 19

#158863 2 years, 3 months ago
Really fun show - way better than Friday night. They were on it from the beginning to the end (with the exception of Phil's technical glitch). The crowd energy was also different last night, more enthusiastic even before the show started.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, SunshineSue
Chester
More or less in line

#158959 2 years, 3 months ago
This show, (the 19th) just popped up on the Archive. archive.org/details/paf2012-05-19.120254.flac16
Listening now, and it sounds pretty good!
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Chester.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, SunshineSue, FurthurFlower67, Island Head
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#159027 2 years, 3 months ago
I will give my review of Terrapin when I make it back home. I got lots of things to say! And pictures to share...
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, SunshineSue, amusingdeva
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#159123 2 years, 3 months ago
Alright here's my two cents on Terrapin!

The first night I attended was the 18th. We had dinner there before the show and it was a nice atmosphere. I was keeping my eyes open for Phil but didn't see him. The food was good and it really wasn't all that much cost wise. I had a burger and fries lol. When I first walked into Terrapin I was really amazed by how small it was. But was excited! I believe the shows were sold out but I had just enough dancing room on the left side of the stage by Jeff He's my favorite of course! They came out and the first set was nice but I don't know it was lacking a lot. I wish I kept mental notes on who sang what but I kinda remember. I believe Tim sang the opener Here Comes Sunshine. His mic must have been low that night because it was hard to hear him. I thought it would be a really spacey jammed out HCS but it seemed kinda short. Chris sang the second song Sail on Sailor and I didn't know the song but loved Chris's emotion. When he sings you can feel it! Just like Pigpen! PeggyO was nice done at a bit of a faster pace and the Alamaba Getaway was real good! And the Cold Rain and snow got everyone bouncing! But then it was a sudden end just when it felt like the ramble was beginning to happen.

Set break! I was scared to smoke around the venue. There were these security guards who I first thought were cops. And of course I wouldn't smoke inside out of respect for Phil. So I was outside smoking s cig and everyone else was smoking stuff so I did too! It's totally fine to smoke outside the venue just don't do it inside.

Set two was a Lil slow start at first but when Phil bombed into Shakedown is when the fire was started! It was such a ride and Jeff was controlling the whole song! He was like alright now we are gonna jam, now we are going back into the song, etc. I loved it! That has to be my favorite song of the weekend. Then they went into Caution and I was soooo excited! Chris sang it and how could he not. He did a good job but it was missing a big part of the emotion. Maybe he just wasnt into it. That's fine....the Viola started off real strong! It was real jazzy. Jeff and Jaz the drummer were taking it that direction, but when they went into the second verse it fizzled..the other one was nice and China >Rider was good. I was very impressed with the encore BIODTL. Chris sang it and did an amazing job! I'm not sure which songs Grahme sang. I wanna say either Cold Rain or Ship of Fools and maybe Rider as well. But he is a really good singer. I was more impressed with him in person. But I still feel he needs to work on his pitches. Sometimes he draws things out that don't need to be or goes up real his when it should almost be real low. Either way he's on the right track! He was my favorite to watch because he was sooo focused on everyone and playing he wanted to do a good job and it showed! The drummer Jaz Sawyer I was blown away at. He is a jazz drummer and it really put a nice touch on the tone of the music. Tim Blume wasn't my favorite on Friday night. Mark was great on guitar but he can sing good I was hoping to hear some vocals from him. And John the pedal steel player well he was working the stage with the tambornie at one point it was great.

Okay time for a break then review of night two!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Tmglf2, Warlock, gvanman, ecojaded, SunshineSue, Strider1
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#159137 2 years, 3 months ago
Hey Em - I put a set list with who sang what from Friday (courtesy of Brian!) lower down on this thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: happycat
Chester
More or less in line

#159159 2 years, 3 months ago
Chester wrote:
This show, (the 19th) just popped up on the Archive. archive.org/details/paf2012-05-19.120254.flac16
Listening now, and it sounds pretty good!

The 17th is also up. Looks like it was recorded by the same person.
archive.org/details/paf2012-05-17.120252.flac16
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warlock
Chester
More or less in line

#159186 2 years, 3 months ago
I've been listening to that show from the 17th today. Really nice. A lot of really inspired and exciting jams. But so many talkers.
It is an audience recording, but the guy even mentions it. He thought it was much noisier than normal. You can hear some
conversations during some really hot jams! I would expect some consideration towards noise at a place like TXR. I say we start a
movement. At least at the smaller places. Keep the conversations quiet. People are there for the music.
The following user(s) said Thank You: happycat
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#159188 2 years, 3 months ago
I did ask a couple of different groups pf people to please be quiet or take their conversations to the back while I was there but they were receptive and did as requested.

Only in NYC have I ever had any issue with asking someone to please not talk during the music and have them blatantly refuse. But I do agree that talking is getting more prevalent. I wonder why this is???
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#159191 2 years, 3 months ago
amusingdeva wrote:
I did ask a couple of different groups pf people to please be quiet or take their conversations to the back while I was there but they were receptive and did as requested.

Only in NYC have I ever had any issue with asking someone to please not talk during the music and have them blatantly refuse. But I do agree that talking is getting more prevalent. I wonder why this is???

The talkers must be bored I don't know why else you would have a full on animated conversation during a concert. A lot of people are rude and they believe it's their "right" to do whatever they want. It's not just concerts, it's everywhere. I could write an entire book on my thoughts for this subject but I am sure I would offend a lot of people and I don't want to fight so I'll just keep my lips zipped. (maybe)
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#159193 2 years, 3 months ago
i think for some poeople this is their social time. time to talk to friends they rarely see..they look at the music as background music to them being with their friends. they're more interested in talking and listening to a friend yap away than listening to the music.

cindy you have good luck but you're also a woman, so the men will be more apt to listen. i can't even begin to remember how many times i've asked someone to politely quiet down only to have them intentionally get louder, start getting in my way, knowing very well it's irritating me.

i've come to the conclusion that there are people who truly love confrontation. they will do anything to get into a situation like that because they know the real music fan is going to bail and find a better spot. it makes these people feel better about themselves to ruin somebodys night, or look like they have some type of power in their eyes or eyes of their friends.

when i was at TXR, there was some chatter but it wasn't bad. the worst scenario i personally encountered was a guy with a huge professional camera with flash get right in front of me (from the side) and start shooting. i said hey man i'm standing here and he said "yeah one minute"..he just kept going. finally i got irate looked him square in the eye and said "GET YOU AND THE FUCKING CAMERA OUT OF HERE" and he scuttled away, but not without giving me a filthy look, like i was the bad guy. the dude is disrespecting phil's place by doing things he's asked you not to do, in front of another fan who is clearly swaying around getting lost in the music, and somehow i'm the bad guy.

one other scenario i've seen on multiple occasions is the guy talking to a friend loudly while the friend is clearly not paying attention, and trying to hint "stop talking", because the friend is into it. i've turned around to many of these and the friend looks at me like "i'm so sorry, he won't shut up"
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds