• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
KnoxvilleUrbanGuy
Fresh Boarder

Bob Weir Knoxville Show

#157938 2 years, 3 months ago
Hello Everyone,
I attended Bob's Knoxville show last month. I'm not a fan of the level of you guys, but I saw the Grateful Dead in the 1980s, The Other Ones in the 1990s and Phil and Friends maybe in the early 2000s, so I'm not unfamiliar with the music. I had no idea of any previous discussion of Bob's health, so when I wrote my review and reacted to his show it was entirely without preconception. Again, I don't pretend here or in my blogpost to know as much as you guys or to have much frame of reference, but my description was honest. In short, he did not seem like a well person. You can see the blogpost at www.stuckinsideofknoxville.com. It's today's post, but if you see this later you may have to search for "Bob Weir." I'm posting because I thought some of you might be interested.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Bob Weir Knoxville Show

#157989 2 years, 3 months ago
i read your review.

i had a very similar experience at the wilkes-barre show.

it was cool but from a purely musical standpoint it was lackluster.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#158418 2 years, 3 months ago
I was at Wilkes-Barre. I enjoyed it. It actually exceeded my expectations. Where were you sitting in the theater and what were you expecting to see?
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#158537 2 years, 3 months ago
i went in with no expectations. i purposely never watched his solo acoustic videos so i would be looking for nothing, just listening.

i was sitting in the 3rd row of the balcony, dead center. perfect sound, and i actually did not get the crowd noise that many folks complained about, which i'm happy for.

his guitar playing was pretty messy, he couldn't keep time with that little bass drum pedal he was using (there's a name for that thing i just don't know what it is) and his vocals at times were off key and in some cases missing/incorrect lines. sure these things happen frequently when he's playing with furthur, but when he's up there by himself, there's no one to save those moments. they sear into your brain. its just too obvious.

i enjoyed some of it, some moments were excellent, but overall like i said i'd rate it as lackluster. nothing special musically, very little energy or enthusiasm. you could see him getting visibly frustrated each time he flubbed. i also liked that he spent some time talking about a tune, telling a joke, etc.

would be a great act if it was polished up a bit i think.

my 2 cents.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#158543 2 years, 3 months ago
I was right down front. Got lucky with mail order, it happens sometimes.

I didn't know what to expect, though, when he first brought out the solo acoustic format, I did watch some of the videos. By that standard, I though his guitar work was much improved, definitely more than just strumming along. What I saw up close was that he was definitely laboring at times, concentrating very hard to make these new guitar parts work. I also think he set himself a difficult task in that the second set was filled with jamming vehicles -- Playing, Dark Star, The Other One. I never imagined he'd do a whole set of tunes like that solo acoustic. So, for me, it was thrilling just to see him make the attempt. And IMO some of the results were really good.

All said, I agree with you, it would be a great act if it was polished up a bit. Right now it's more like an experiment. But I admire that. How many other rock stars at this point in their careers have the guts to try something completely new and completely naked, artistically speaking? Who knows how many more of these shows Bobby will actually play? At some point you and I may look back and say that, flaws and all, we got to see something truly unique.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#158549 2 years, 3 months ago
I agree with mistakes and that the show was far from perfect but I saw absolutley nothing in the last 4 shows I attended to suggest anything is wrong with Bob's health! (and I really didn't read anything in the OP's post or review to suggest that either)

I honestly loved these shows and I thought they got better as he went along. I know a couple people that went to the first 2 shows and they said he looked a little off, but much better at Wilkes-Barre and although I liked that show I'd still rate the other 3 above it. I wont go on about how much I enjoyed the shows I just wanted to post after hearing another silly "Bob dosn't look in good health" claim .... I was right up front in Portland and he looked just as if not more healthy and active then any other 60+ year old I know.

and although the guitar playing had it's flubs, I didn't think it was to limited or boring - for a rhythm guitarist I thought it was a unique new take on the music.... but I'm not a musician myself either so I guess I can't judge that to much. I saw him get frustrated sometimes but it didn't look like anything serious, more or less just a face he'd make as he didn't play something the way he wanted. Bob usually looks way serious on stage so expecting a laugh/joke when he makes a mistake may be a tad bit high of an expectation (?)

all in all it was better then I expected and if he does it again I'll be out there making as many of his shows as I could.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#158598 2 years, 3 months ago
And hopefully, there will be more of these shows.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#158601 2 years, 3 months ago
i can't help but think everytime i post about this my posts get misconstrued by everybody.

i don't think this is a comparison to what other musicians are doing as no musicians are the same.

in more than just this thread i said it was cool, i said it was neat, it was interesting, it was unique i was happy i went, but that's not going to make it any better musically than it was for me in years to come. i'm done even commenting on it. i was not expecting a world class musical performance because let's face it if i wouldn't set myself up like that.

i'm giving my honest feelings toward the musical performance and that's it.

DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#158660 2 years, 3 months ago
^^I wasn't gonna post on this thread either but just had to comment on the OP's "Bob not looking healthy" thing. I wasn't directing anything I said at you and I totally hear what you and the OP are saying about the performance, I just had to comment that I saw no sign of Bob looking unhealthy.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#158664 2 years, 3 months ago
i have seen enough ratdog shows to know that you can xpect about 2 bobby flubs on a good night. and he dosnt cut himself anyslack(hence the noticable frustation).
it was his first solo tour EVER, i imagine it would need some refining, but i cant wait to see him solo. i hope he plays some solo shows at sweetwater.
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds