• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

Re: Bob Weir-Kirby Center - Wilkes-Barre,PA 4-27-12

#152898 2 years, 5 months ago
So does this flag really exist?! Tonight I wandered around outside of the venue before the show for a good half hour and I couldn't find it. I'm beginning to think it's either a myth or a hoax, LOL! Maybe I'll have better luck at the Mann.

Anyway, this was a phenomenal show. I really had no idea what to expect. I had seen a video of an early performance of Saint but this was before Bobby said he wanted to go back and take another stab at arranging material for the solo format. Well, the version tonight had many more dimensions. And the second set -- all these jamming vehicles really got jammed. Bobby's guitar work certainly twisted my head into some interesting shapes. Never would have thought it possible with just one acoustic instrument but the effect was quite spacey and quite satisfying.

Gotta give a lot of credit to Bobby for being willing to try something new and different this late in his career. Takes a lot of guts and imagination.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, PMoondancer , jbili
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#152907 2 years, 5 months ago
do you have any nails?

hahahahahaha

I freakin love Bobby, wish i was there

classic cheese below

-- smell every flower --
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by kevin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , skidoo
Stonedbeetle
Junior Boarder

#152908 2 years, 5 months ago
As others have mentioned . . . I didn't know what to expect. Had a front row seat on the isle, and a girl with a ticket in the center wanted to trade so she could dance. I did the deal but another girl was sitting in the seat I traded for. Didn't want to see her get booted so I stayed in the isle, basically leaning on the stage, all of 20 foot away from Bobby. Security was pretty relaxed, the only issues I saw was security ushering picture takers back to their seats after a few in a row hadn't shut off the flashs.

The F.M. Kirby is a beautiful old theater with acoustics as good as any place you will go. The sound was phenominal. I wasn't sure what to expect but what hit me the most was the depth with which Bobby can play. You don't get to thear that often when he is with a full band. Wearing a pair of socks, he kept time by tapping his foot on a drum machine pad while playing and singing. It provided a very simple and subtle thump which kept things glued together. His vocals were much better than I anticipated, perhaps becasue of the requirement of the stripped down situation. The whole evening was really as intimate as you can get.

As previous pictures show, the stage set up up is simple, a guitar, a stool, a mic stand, and a small amp right behind Bobby. Highlights for me were Masterpiece, Saint / Sailor, and then Dark Star. He intro'ed by saying he had never tried it before and went into the song for a quite a while. He transitioned out of it and stated "We'll get back to that one in a little bit" Also told a nice story about going to John Barlows place and walking up a road as a severe thunder storm was closing in on him. He had a choice, he could either hide in a ditch or he could continue running. That's when the idea for the lyric and inspiration for Sailor came from "Sure don't know what I'm running for, but I'm gonna run for it for sure."

The start of the show was very good . . . and if there is knock here, it was not on Bobby. If anything . . I think I am not alone in observing the crowd feeling their way into the groove. By the Masterpeice however everyone was in sync.

All in all a really really good night, far exceeding my expectations. Not by a little, by a lot.
Was also lucky anough to pick up the little egg in the pic.
Attachments:
Bound to cover just a little more ground . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, Chester, PMoondancer , jbili
Stonedbeetle
Junior Boarder

#152909 2 years, 5 months ago
removed double post
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by Stonedbeetle.
thebends
Junior Boarder

#152927 2 years, 5 months ago
Awesome show! Highlights for me was masterpiece and broken down palace. I would love to see many more acoustic shows. Kirby was a very nice venue, plus parking was only 2 bucks, coming from nj we usually pay 25 or more to park!pickup a nice bob weir solo shirt in black. If you got any xtra tickets, they were hard to sell, everyone was looking for a miricale
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
Helperman72
Fresh Boarder

#152928 2 years, 5 months ago
Did anyone manage to get some videos of this show? Haven't seen a single thing up on YouTube or otherwise.
The eyes in his head see the world spinning round.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
Stonedbeetle
Junior Boarder

#152945 2 years, 5 months ago
There were lots of people shooting up front. Give it a day or two I bet you start to see them popping up.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#152946 2 years, 5 months ago
Equinox wrote:
So does this flag really exist?! Tonight I wandered around outside of the venue before the show for a good half hour and I couldn't find it. I'm beginning to think it's either a myth or a hoax, LOL! Maybe I'll have better luck at the Mann.

Anyway, this was a phenomenal show. I really had no idea what to expect. I had seen a video of an early performance of Saint but this was before Bobby said he wanted to go back and take another stab at arranging material for the solo format. Well, the version tonight had many more dimensions. And the second set -- all these jamming vehicles really got jammed. Bobby's guitar work certainly twisted my head into some interesting shapes. Never would have thought it possible with just one acoustic instrument but the effect was quite spacey and quite satisfying.

Gotta give a lot of credit to Bobby for being willing to try something new and different this late in his career. Takes a lot of guts and imagination.
it exsists MM had it inhis pocket he didnt have a flag pole we wereout front for a bit met burt and his friend and basicly went in after the show we stood under the kirby awning in front of the pla
ce and took pics sorry ya missed us the flag is going to westbury tonite
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#152957 2 years, 5 months ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
Equinox wrote:

it exsists MM had it inhis pocket he didnt have a flag pole we wereout front for a bit met burt and his friend and basicly went in after the show we stood under the kirby awning in front of the pla
ce and took pics sorry ya missed us the flag is going to westbury tonite

Couldn't hang after the show. Had about a hundred mile drive back to the Philly area. Well, my next shot will be the Mann -- unles, of course, Bobby books some more of these gigs. Hope you guys had a great show.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
Chester
More or less in line

#153262 2 years, 5 months ago
archive.org/search.php?query=Bob%20Weir&sort=-date
Ok, that link will take you to Bob Weirs page, where this show is posted. (Annoying how some links work, and some don't.)
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by Chester.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds