• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

Re: Village Voice -WEAK

#150716 2 years, 3 months ago
I agree that this person had the "negative" glasses on from the get go. His inability to recognize the individual genius of these musicians, even if he doesn't like the over all 'concept' of Furthur proves to me that he had a picture he wanted to paint from the get go & it wasn't gonna be pretty. To me this gives him NO credibility as a music reviewer.
I despise when people call JK "fake-Jerry" but I immediately put those people in a category of people I like to call "The Bittermans", they're then easily qualifiable and to know one's enemies is to absolve them of all their power.
The only point I might take from this wretched piece of non-journalism is that I hope the band can make the connection between crazy-über uptight security and the fans ability to help them work their magic...and book shows at places where security is down with our scene.
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

Re: Village Voice -WEAK

#150737 2 years, 3 months ago
There's been so many reviews like these over the years, that talk about the crowd more than anything, and then put the band down.

The fake Jerry thing is awful. It's a difficult spot for any musician to be in, those are big shoes even if you're not trying to fill them. John is almost in a no-win situation, if he sounds too much like Jerry he's an imitation, if he doesn't sound enough like Jerry people will complain.

I like some of the comments on the VV site, one refers to the author as "fake writer".
These are the good old days!!
bow4bass
Junior Boarder

Re: Village Voice review of a Beacon show

#151741 2 years, 3 months ago
interesting, funny, a fair critque i guess
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#152062 2 years, 3 months ago
the guy is definitely into the dead's music to some degree. some of the things he says wouldn't be said by someone oblivious to their tunes.

is this one of those onion type papers where it's a joke?
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#152087 2 years, 3 months ago
wlewis wrote:
the guy is definitely into the dead's music to some degree. some of the things he says wouldn't be said by someone oblivious to their tunes.

is this one of those onion type papers where it's a joke?

I know nothing of the current agenda of the Village Voice, but I know it started as like a Beat Newspaper way back when, covering the hip stuff happening in NYC
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#152102 2 years, 3 months ago
Despite their seemingly silly circumstances—two original bandmembers, a fake-Jerry, and a pair of stunt-vocalist backup singers—Lesh and Weir have often been able to make magic for the still-significant amount of people who still care to be in a room with fellow Deadheads, hearing the band's songbook recombined and sharing its subcultural meanings in real time by singing along and cheering in the right places, paying good money to do it multiple nights in a row, and all that. But circumstances may've changed again. (Though not the part about paying good money; all seven nights were quite sold out.)

pretty freaking condescending from where I'm sitting
Wave That Flag FFF
-- smell every flower --
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#153002 2 years, 3 months ago
Shite review. Sounds as though someone can't accept that the GD era has long since passed and we are on to a whole new thing. Also, I believe I'll slap the next person who says 'fake Jerry'. I think it is incredibly condescending toward JK, who is his own man. I find it very disrespectful to him and do not accept it. Neither should any of the FFF.
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#154699 2 years, 2 months ago
Yeah it is just a journalist working an angle, building a resume with a certain style,making a name for themselves, it could have been any band, but, alas, our guys were in town.

The name of the band answers the Fake Jerry slander: Furthur. This band is not a GD Fake! To the contrary, they are going further with the music and not just aping the old GD. We of course get that -- some people just don't. Maybe even Bill K?

This Village Voice journalist is probably just a cynic intent on building a name with a certain style.

Please do us a favor and stay home next time.
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by deadegad.
Time to create page: 0.68 seconds