• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

Re: The 8 night Beacon run

#149904 2 years, 6 months ago
I appreciated this Beacon run for all the reasons SunshineSue found it a disappointment. I'm not interested in novelties like guest musicians, the playing of albums, or making it a side show. The Desolation Row and other Dylan tune breakouts were plenty novelty enough for my taste of this band. No Pink Floyd nonsense, either, correct? Bravo. For the most part, these are shows I'd be okay paying NYC money to see. Seems like a good, solid run. That's better IMO than anything that might make them stray off course into Partyland.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#149908 2 years, 6 months ago
The sound Sunday from where I was standing (Orchestra S Left Center directly on a line to JK and right where the balcony overhang starts, about 3 rows behind the SBD) was the most incredible mix I have heard. I'm a sound snob and have been by the SBD a lot, but Sunday was incredible. Vocals loud and clear (which has been a problem with Furthur before) JK turned up, Bobby not dominating, and Beacon Bombs (a new level of Phil Bombs I was ill prepared to handle)...that Morning Dew might be my favorite live moment for me. It was perfect, and Phil's last bomb literally shook me.
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, alilfurther, amusingdeva, 23atwell, jbili
Stonedbeetle
Junior Boarder

#149910 2 years, 6 months ago
Sustainabill wrote:
Every show is the best to me. It's easier to enjoy it all. While it's happening, there ain't no place I'd rather be.

+1 here
Bound to cover just a little more ground . . .
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#149919 2 years, 6 months ago
I caught three shows 4/10, 17, 18. Last night 4/18 was the best but they were all good. Sue is right about these shows could have been from any where.

Not to beat a dead horse, but, if they do another NYC Residency then I hope they find a larger venue because these tickets were impossible, almost, to get. The scalpers really cleaned up.

Likewise, a greater allotment of tickets to GDTS would be very welcomed.

I hope they read this and make some adjustment that helps us get in without being robbed blind!
sfsueny
Junior Boarder

#149931 2 years, 6 months ago
I always assume that the show I'm going to is going to be the last show...and so I approach each performance without a lot of expectation...Last night was awesome...the crowd was grateful and enthusiastic & the applause that Phil received when he came out to do the Donor Rap was phenomenal. They played brilliantly and brightly.

Each performance has high moments and low moments...I'm not a big fan of anything after 1980...but hey...that's my problem not theirs. I like that I get surprised by a magical moment within any song...that transcendent guitar solo that blows any other performance out of the water.

What is that saying..."they're not the best at what they do...they're the only ones that do what they do!" I hope they are around for a long long time...but I keep in mind that this is a fleeting experience.

Life may be sweeter for this...
once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places
if you look at it right.
Zipster
Platinum Boarder
Smile, Smile, Smile

#149952 2 years, 6 months ago
I fell asleep during the show last night cuz I was exhausted, I wonder how the band feels after eight nights or whatever time frame it was...Love and Peace...Zipster
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#149954 2 years, 6 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
The sound Sunday from where I was standing (Orchestra S Left Center directly on a line to JK and right where the balcony overhang starts, about 3 rows behind the SBD) was the most incredible mix I have heard. I'm a sound snob and have been by the SBD a lot, but Sunday was incredible. Vocals loud and clear (which has been a problem with Furthur before) JK turned up, Bobby not dominating, and Beacon Bombs (a new level of Phil Bombs I was ill prepared to handle)...that Morning Dew might be my favorite live moment for me. It was perfect, and Phil's last bomb literally shook me.

I was a couple rows behind you! Right behind the SBD on JK's side.

I thought John K did a great job on the Morning Dew. He did a nice solo but then brought it way down and then built it back up.

I only saw Sunday's show. The sound was good. The Wallingford show had good sound too, except the vocals weren't quite loud enough for my taste. The Beacon is a nice small theater, the sound back there is great, have been there for other bands. Phil was nice and loud, I liked how he did a nice bass driven jam in Birdsong. Beacon bombs!!
These are the good old days!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag, jbili
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#149981 2 years, 6 months ago
BillyDeLion wrote:
doin_that_rag wrote:

I was a couple rows behind you! Right behind the SBD on JK's side.

I thought John K did a great job on the Morning Dew. He did a nice solo but then brought it way down and then built it back up.

I only saw Sunday's show. The sound was good. The Wallingford show had good sound too, except the vocals weren't quite loud enough for my taste. The Beacon is a nice small theater, the sound back there is great, have been there for other bands. Phil was nice and loud, I liked how he did a nice bass driven jam in Birdsong. Beacon bombs!!

I was right by you both for all of the first set Sunday, Row S behind the soundboard and then dancing in the aisle near there for half of the second (got to hang up by the rail for the 1st half of the 2nd set until we got kicked out). I agree the sound there was the best of the 4 nights I got to see and better than in the front.

Of Thurs-Sun, I thought Sunday was the best and Friday a close runner-up. The band was really tight and grooving together those nights! Jeff & John were amazing playing off of one another and I think it was on Friday that Phil actually shook John's hand! Joe was pretty off the charts too. I thought Saturday fell short and was a perfunctory performance - no juice. But I'd still rather be at a not super-great show than almost anywhere else!

"Beacon Bombs" - I love that!
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by amusingdeva.
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
Schwartz
Fresh Boarder

#149995 2 years, 6 months ago
The marquee at the Beacon flashed Furthur, and Phil and Bobby had come to NYC for an 8 night stand at the venerable and beautifully refurbished old theater on Broadway. Deadheads were treated to a stunning interior space to enjoy the shows, but most importantly were treated to a band that continues to play better and better, expanding repertoire and jamming derring do to continue to cement its reputation as the best of the post GD incarnations.
I was lucky enough to see three of the Beacon shows, first the Tuesday night 4/10 show, second of the run, and then the last two nights. There was great music at all three shows, more than a few surprises (Brother Esau, which I last saw at the Providence Civic in 1983), and, of course, a couple of rough moments along the way.
The 4/10 show opened with a hot Golden Road, and first set highlights included a huge sing along Ramble On Rose, a nice Loser, and a beautiful Lazy River Road, one of the greatest of the late period Garcia/Hunter compositions. In the second set things were turned up a notch, with an over the top Cumberland Blues that included a Chimenti keyboard solo that threatened to blow the roof off the building. The aforementioned Brother Esau followed, well played, with the band nailing the ending. Then 4 songs into the second set JK began strumming the opening chords of Scarlet Begonias, and although the tempo of this one was a bit slow for my taste, it is always great to hear. A sparkling Fire on the Mountain followed, with hot solos by Chimenti on organ and JK. At this point you are feeling pretty satisfied, but this band has a way of taking that moment and bringing the whole thing to a higher level. Dear Prudence was gorgeous, Unbroken Chain, I believe the only one of the tour so far, was stupendous, mythic, majestic, perhaps the best version I’ve ever heard. Precisely at 11 the band segued into a smoking the 11, and then a fun Lovelight to close. The Weight encore looks especially poignant now, knowing of Levon’s death.
A week later I was back for the 4/17 show. A surprise After Midnight opened the show, and the first set had fine versions of Its All Over Now, Peggy O, and Row Jimmy, but the song of the set was a transcendent version of Foolish Heart that was perfect in every way - wonderful vocals by JK, beautifully played by everyone in the band, extremely tight. Worth the price of admission. The second set started out strangely with the Weather Report part 1, dropping into St. of Circumstance. The Saint never really took off, but a fine Wharf Rat followed, powerful vocals by JK and Sunshine and Jeff Pherson. Then the meat of the show - a nice Playing in the Band, bit of a surprise at this point in the set. The playin’ jam melted into a sublime version of the Terrapin Suite, very well played, floating, airy, intense when it was supposed to be. A sing along Uncle John’s followed Terrapin, Standing on the Moon, then a rocking Sugar Mag to close the show. The Might Quinn made for a nice up temp encore, and we were off for bourbon and bed!
Last night was the concluding show of the run, and it was evident the band was in high spirits from the get go. Phil was smiling ear to ear throughout, playful, loving every minute of it, his fingers flying over the frets of his 6 string. JK took charge from the beginning, and the Hear Comes Sunshine, Half Step, Dire Wolf opening was terrific. The only worry was Bobby, who looked white as a ghost and wobbly at times. Overall he sang well all night, to include the Black Peter towards the end of set 1. His playing and participation seemed to pick up in set 2. Hopefully he is all good. Highlights of set 1 were back to back smoking hot versions of Easy Wind and Viola Lee, with superb solo work from JK and Jeff Chimenti. The Viola Lee included their new rockabilly version of the 3rd verse.
The second set killed - powerful Shakedown to open, very hot versions of Mr. Fantasy and Cassidy followed. The Cassidy beautifully transitioned into Dark Star, and the playing was inspired - Dark Star > Other One > Dark Star > Other One was simply sublime, and would be right at home with some of the great jams with those songs in 72. We expected the Help > Slip > Franklins to close, but the Golden Road in the middle of the Slipknot was a great bonus, and was over the top, with JK’s soloing as hot as anything you could hear anywhere - wow! The Beacon was going crazy, and deservedly so. The only way to wrap it up was with a beautiful Brokedown - when Bobby sang ‘gonna leave this Brokedown Palace on my hands and my knees’ you knew the band had put everything they had into the run. Warm hugs and embraces all around, bandmate to bandmate. My deepest gratitude to Furthur and to the friends I shared the shows with. Counting down to summer tour!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Sustainabill, alilfurther, amusingdeva, jbili, direwolflove222, sfsueny
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#150266 2 years, 6 months ago
I saw the first five shows and listened to streams of the last three. I thought Friday through Sunday were the best. Even though I wasn't actually there, I'd vote for Sunday as the best show. I though JK was ripping it up. The first three and the second to last were very uneven to me (some of the sets had no energy at all). The last show was very good but, having seen most of the shows up to it, the song selection was too much a repeat of earlier shows...
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds