• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

Re: 3/15/2011 - BEST BUY Theater - NYC (Phil's B-Day)

#1994 3 years, 6 months ago
Dancin in the Streets>
Loose Lucy>
I Need a Miracle>
Tennessee Jed
Corrina >
Crazy Fingers
So Many Roads
Masons Children

Set Break

Note: BBcode and smileys are still usable.
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#2034 3 years, 6 months ago
Set Two:

The Golden Road >
Scarlet Begonias >
China Cat Sunflower >
Ramble On Rose
New Potato Caboose
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by the highway terror.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
slipknot75
Junior Boarder

#2124 3 years, 6 months ago
Furthur
Celebrating Phil Lesh's 71st Birthday!
3-15-11
Best Buy Theater
New York, NY

Set 1:

Dancin In The Street>
Loose Lucy>
I Need A Miracle>
Tennessee Jed
Corrina>
Crazy Fingers
So Many Roads
The Mason's Children

Set 2:

The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion)
Scarlet Begonias>
China Cat Sunflower>
Ramble On Rose
New Potato Caboose
"Abbey Road" Medley :
You Never Give Me Your Money>
Sun King>
Mean Mister Mustard>
Polythene Pam>
She Came In Through The Bathroom Window>
Golden Slumbers>
Carry That Weight>
The End
Built To Last
Truckin'

Encore:

St. Stephen>
Her Majesty
onthebusin03
Junior Boarder

#2131 3 years, 6 months ago
First You Never Give Me Your Money
First Sun King
First Mean Mr. Mustard
First Polythene Pam
First She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
First Golden Slumbers
First Carry That Weight
First The End
First Her Majesty
First Built To Last since 3/8/10
First Corrina since 7/10/10
Jack Jones
Junior Boarder

#2132 3 years, 6 months ago
WOW!!!
... that one word is "why?"

Music alone may span that space between the finite and the infinite. Edgar Cayce Reading 3659-1
JimmyZ
Fresh Boarder

#2136 3 years, 6 months ago
Been seeing shows for 25 yrs. -- this one ranks among the best.

The Abbey Rd. medley was a magic moment with several instances of goosebumps...flawlessly executed and expertly played w/ so much heart and soul. I really could not have been any more impressed. Faithful renditions, precise transitions, and inspired playing. I have to point out that the vocal distribution was brilliant.

JK took "You Never Give Me Your $", but Bobby took the "out of college" and "that magic" parts before JK took it back for "one sweet dream" and it was all SO great! Obviously, they could never have done this w/o Jeff P. & Sunshine -- they were sublime throughout.

Bob took some of "Sun King," but it was mostly ensemble...watching Chimenti's face light up as he listened to his bandmates sing the Italian section perfectly was a real delight. In fact, the band members were so visibly excited to tear through this material and were clearly enamored of one another's chops.

Phil sang "Mean Mr. Mustard." I thought Octopus's Garden was perfect for him the other night, but this was even better (big smiles from him as he sang "such a mean old man!; such a dirty old man").

The "Polythene Pam" was a balls-to-the-walls rock and roller led by Mr. Weir. Hands up in the air everywhere, people were screaming with joy, lights flashing -- total liftoff. The energy ebb and flow from song to song was incredible and gave you even more appreciation for this medley and the dynamics btw/ the songs.

Bob kicked ass on "She Came In Through the Bathroom Window" and even hit a falsetto as needed. I have to say that Bobby really shined in the vox dep't during the medley.

JK's "Golden Slumber" was delicate and crystalline -- really soulful with some great growling. JK then carried "Carry That Weight" (with group chorus vox) and "The End" which featured a crushing Russo fill section, then a rollicking JC solo and a sweet call & response/twin lead bit btw. JC and JK.

Hearing this suite of music was so moving, not to mention a full on rave-up at times (Polythene; Bathroom; The End..."love you, love you, love you!"). Throughout it all, you really felt the energy of what The Beatles were all about. Being inside that Abbey Road bubble was the ultimate escapism...and a real barn burner when necessary -- at those moments, I felt like "This is my Cavern show; my Shea Stadium." Pure bliss and an authentic slice of Dead alchemy.

Other highlights included an absolutely tremendous Tenn Jed, a great Corrina jam, and a rollicking Mason's. The song selection in the 2nd set was top-notch. Huge playing on every number right out of the gate w/ Golden Rd., but esp. Scarlet. Built To Last had some hiccups, but made a nice statement for Phil's 71st and this wonderful cannon of music. Truckin' was the exclamation point, and the friggin' monstrous St. Stephen was the cherry on the cake. I don't know what that makes Her Majesty, but it was delectable.

Thank you Furthur, thank you Phil

"One sweet dream came true today, yes it did."
"There is a road, no simple highway between the dawn & the dark of night. And if you go, no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone."
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by JimmyZ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gd4me2day, bxorain, sunchsongs, 3kidznme
Lynx
Visitor

#2189 3 years, 6 months ago
Awesome review. i can't believe you could remember all of the subtle changes and nuances of the Abby Road Medley! Glad you had such a great time and thanks for sharing your thoughts on the music. I'm gonna go search LMA and bt.etree for recordings now!
Gr8fulauditors
Junior Boarder

#2229 3 years, 6 months ago
Thank you for that!
At least I'm still enjoying the ride !!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JimmyZ
Skudebro
Junior Boarder

#2368 3 years, 6 months ago
Jimmy Z,

I really appreciate your review - informative and with feeling. Wish I couldda been there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JimmyZ
Ramblin_Joe
Junior Boarder

#2456 3 years, 6 months ago
I second that. JimmyZ is ALWAYS on point with his reviews. His expertise stands out among the rest.

JimmyZ - do you follow them all over or just in certain areas of the tour??
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds