• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
deadegad
Expert Boarder

Re: GUYS YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP PLAYING THE BEACON

#145045 2 years ago
There are other reasons to move it from the Beacon.

I started a thread about the possibility of Furthur moving their Spring NYC 'residency' to Radio City if the band can swing it.

Why?

Without a Spring East Coast Tour which might include Chicago Ohio, etc, the ticket demand is enormous and we are all at the mercy of Scalpers --Big Time!

While Furthur cannot do much about TicketMaster skullduggery, they could move it to Radio City which is almost twice the capacity.

We would have better chance of getting in!

i think they could sell out Radio City during another 'residency.'

As a bonus, RC is much bigger not just in capacity but in lobby space, hallways, and a tremendous amount of toilets -- you almost never have to wait. The Beacon has one Ladies and one Gents. Heck RC is much easier to enter. The Beacon's entrance is your worst human traffic jam. RC is closer to many more subway lines too.

Security? I did see people get harassed for smoking at the Beacon. Other smokers were deeper in the row and more discreet. Others were just unlucky when lighting up as security just happened by their way. A guy next to me smoked a lot but he got busted eventually but the usher just checked his ticket and said please do not light up because it's the law and my job if I turn a blind eye and someone sees me.

I was in the aisle at RC as were many others including dancers. The RC balcony aisles were more policed though. Which is natural I, guess. Smoking at RC? About the same, I think.

The security is a consequence of the Nanny State. I am so sick of Big Government!

The Beacon is more ornate. The decorum is more interesting. That is its only plus, for us anyway or the band.

The most important factor is getting in and that calls for something bigger than The Beacon. MSG is too big for a residency. RC is the most suitable.
Last Edit: 2 years ago by deadegad.
Tom Banjo
Visitor

#145064 2 years ago
How does one do that?
Tom Banjo
Visitor

#145065 2 years ago
It was at the beginning of Cumberland Blues in Orchestra 1. I didn't get the name. THE BEACON ROBBED ME! I did nothing wrong and paid my ticket price and they kicked me out for dancing! I would at least like my money back but ya know, I really am not going to hold my breath. The only ones causing problems at the show were the security guards!
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#145066 2 years ago
Not that I am defending security, trust me, but an usher's job is to make sure the aisles are clear, you know, it's a fire code. I saw people getting all pissy with the ushers at Broomfield for this very thing. I watched it all, the usher nicely asked this guy to not stand in the aisle at least a dozen times and each time the guy immediately walked right back into the aisle and started dancing the second the usher turned his back. The old, it's a free country and therefore I'll do whatever I want syndrome. Anyway he finally got hauled out of there and everyone around was booing the usher. Give me a break. Not saying that is what happened here but there has to be some sort of order and this coming from someone who hates authority but still ...
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: furthur640
Tom Banjo
Visitor

#145069 2 years ago
Equinox, was that you who was waiting in line all day with your son? I was waiting there in line all day as well.

Listen, I know that it seems odd that I should be kicked out for simply dancing. I was not the only person who was. But I am not a liar and I have no reason to start something with the venue! BUT I was honestly robbed by the Beacon! Hands down. I was not causing trouble! I was dancing! That is it! I went out to the back after they kicked me out, and I talked to one dude there who got another dude who came out to me and said, Yeah, I saw you... you weren't causing any trouble. So he was about to let me back in when one of the security guards told him no... someone had been given my description and told not to let back in by the general manager. Hey I wouldn't be as hurt if I got my money back, but I am a peaceful, fun-loving hippy who is very comfortable at the shows and who never causes trouble. I go to many shows, both big and local band shows, and I never cause trouble... just like the other hippies and dead heads whom I hang with or see around. We are not trouble makers. I wear a peace sign on my neck, and it is not just a decoration. I believe 100% in peace! I am not a fighter... in fact this 42 year old dude would most likely lost out in any fight. I am scared of fighting! I like my music, I like to dance, and I like to have fun! The security guards were the only ones to cause trouble the last two nights! I saw them kicking people out both nights for the same thing. One of my friends got kicked out for dancing but he got back in! He came to the back without having talked to me or seen me and said, "I got kicked out for dancing!" He was not the only one who sang that tune!
Tom Banjo
Visitor

#145089 2 years ago
Denver Man... there are better reasons to be kicking a person out of a show that he paid for! I do not know what happened in the case you refer to but I AM TELLING YOU - I WAS DOING NOTHING!!!! I WAS ROBBED BY THE BEACON! I will not defend myself again!
Tom Banjo
Visitor

#145097 2 years ago
In fact, I was dancing at Wallingford the other night with ushers all around me. They caused no trouble fo us and we caused no trouble for them. And this is the truth with all the shows I go to! I go to about three dead-related shows per week for well over two years now. I know I am crazy, but I love this music so much. But I never cause trouble and when they asked me to leave, I did. There was no fight! They just, honestly, kicked the wrong person out. I am okay with that. There will be many more shows to come, that I know. When I left the venue, I twirled away yelling, "NO one can take away my happiness... I made the folks outside laugh!" I went in the back and listened to the show from the sidewalk, and I danced! I am not sore! I love this music so much! This is but a little mistake on the Beacon's part! But they did it with so many other hippies. They want the Beacon to be a "theatrical" place and not a dance hall... that is why Furthur should play somewhere else! NO hard feelings! I want to dance to furthur. I do believe that is one of the reasons for going to the show and for them playing! How many of their songs encourage us to dance? IN fact, we can turn in into a game... who can name the most songs in which dancing is mentioned as a positive thing?

Dancing in the streets, The Music Never Stopped.... anyone else think of some more?
direwolflove222
Senior Boarder
Its an obsession but its pleasing

#145215 2 years ago
Wow so sorry you got kicked out... I was at both nights and will be at the rest, and I was hassled again and again by security... FOR DANCING! It was really hard to enjoy some of the shows. YEP. I mean jeeze I am here in NYC for one thing, this band and I am here to dance, I need to get my 80-130 dollars worth each night
eight-sided whispering hallelujah hat rack
The following user(s) said Thank You: p,b n j
Cooper
Senior Boarder

#145217 2 years ago
FYI - i heard through the grapevine that Furthur was TOLD they will NEVER be allowed back to Radio City. I also heard from a different source that MSG said "NO" more. Being MSG and Beacon is the same management company - my guess is Furthur may be done with NY CITY venues. (BTW - I also called Esau last night(LOL))

This seems eerie familiar to the crap that started going down in the mid90's with the band.

"This Darkness Got To Give

Dear Dead Heads:

This is the way it looks to us from the stage:

Your justly-renowned tolerance and compassion have set you up to be used. At Deer Creek, we watched many of you cheer on and help a thousand fools kick down the fence and break into the show. We can't play music and watch plywood flying around endangering people. The security and police whom those people endangered represent us, work for us -- think of them as us. You can't expect mellow security if you're throwing things at them. The saboteurs who did this can only do it if all Dead Heads allow them to. Your reputation is at stake.

Don't you get it?

Over the past thirty years we've come up with the fewest possible rules to make the difficult act of bringing tons of people together work well -- and a few thousand so-called Dead Heads ignore those simple rules and screw it up for you, us and everybody. We've never before had to cancel a show because of you. Think about it.

If you don't have a ticket, don't come. This is real. This is first a music concert, not a free-for-all party. Secondly, don't vend. Vending attracts people without tickets. Many of the people without tickets have no responsibility or obligation to our scene. They don't give a shit. They act like idiots. They think it's just a party to get as trashed as possible at. We're all supposed to be about higher consciousness, not drunken stupidity.

It's up to you as Dead Heads to educate these people, and to pressure them into acting like Dead Heads instead of maniacs. They can only get away with this crap if you let them. The old slogan is true: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Want to end the touring life of the Grateful Dead? Allow bottle-throwing gate crashers to keep on thinking they're cool anarchists instead of the creeps they are.

Want to continue it? Listen to the rules, and pressure others to do so. A few more scenes like Sunday night, and we'll quite simply be unable to play. The spirit of the Grateful Dead is at stake, and we'll do what we have to do to protect it. And when you hear somebody say "Fuck you, we'll do what we want," remember something.

That applies to us, too.

Phil, Jerry, Bobby, Mickey, Billy and Vince"
The following user(s) said Thank You: p,b n j
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#145264 2 years ago
If you don't have a ticket, don't come. This is real. This is first a music concert, not a free-for-all party. Secondly, don't vend. Vending attracts people without tickets. Many of the people without tickets have no responsibility or obligation to our scene. They don't give a shit. They act like idiots. They think it's just a party to get as trashed as possible at. We're all supposed to be about higher consciousness, not drunken stupidity

umm, yeah....
gone are the days we stopped to decide, where we should go we just ride
Time to create page: 1.68 seconds