• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

REVIEW: 2012-04-07 oakdale theater, wallingford ct

#144228 2 years, 6 months ago
got an early start to wallingford, went right to hotey and checked in. had a crew of forum members in tow. lot was in full swing when we arrived. located the arrow in a prime spot right on the end of an aisle, parked charlene right up close next to her. everybody was spreading great vibes around the arrow, met a whole slew of the FFF in thanks to the flag and the arrow. everything was coming together.

thought i was going in slightly early but came to find out they'd just hit the stage. i had missed the first verse of the opener greatest story ever told, a personal fave of mine, was pissed at myself for a little but the line getting in was taking a little longer than usual and i should have allotted more time. sound was still being dialed in, they fumbled around during the jam a bit too, seems to happen frequently with this one, could use some rehearsal time. no direct transition to bertha but it was fun, nice work by everybody, sound still being tweaked a bit. althea was really nice. good tempo, very smooth playing, only thing lacking was full crowd energy. seemed to be barely anybody moving in the floor level. i was in the front row of the loge overlooking the band and crowd all night, a great vantage point. mama tried, yes! they don't play it all that often and bob was right on with it. nice contributions from jc and jk with russo keeping that steady folk beat. bob brings things down to a halt before non-chalanty starting up big river. a classic pairing of two bobby "cowboy" tunes, well done. this simple, repetitive song allows each and every member to shine. the half step caught me by surprise but i really loved it. that sweet sweet outro with sunshine and jeff providing the backups is so nice. they tune up and phil tells the crowd with his riff it's bird song time. great version, the jam bouncing around from genre to genre like a superball. you can tell how well these guys are listening to each other up there, everybody playing off of everybody, group mind. they wind down but blast into a forceful deal, great set closer, it ripped. jk adding building and building the solo. at one point it looks like he's ready to cut it but phil and bob are not ready, and he takes one more ride, smoking the place like a joint right before they step off. this set's song selection was very grateful dead-esque.

GSET, bertha, althea, mama tried>big river, half step, bird song>deal

as soon as deal ended i was up and in the lobby milling around, a very friendly atmosphere for furthur and it's fans. got out to the smoking section to hang out, felt a little wiped out from all the dancing. kicked it with the forum crew and unfortunately my piece was dropped and broken during and a fellow named dan who felt responsible (who wasn't) insisted i have his galaxy pendant. the very necklace he was wearing. i plead that he keep it but after his sincere want for me to have it i accepted it. it's very cool, and pretty powerful. dan the man, thank you. went back in to walk around some more then settled down for the 2nd set.

a bubbling lost sailor to open up the set, nice choice. i actually thought that's where we were headed earlier in the show where half step popped out. bob navigates us through the seas of this one and amidst the storm the st. of circumstance is born, rapidly firing right out of the gate. tonight i crossed the line. they roll through this weir classic, one that takes attention and precision. a short stop and it's the china>rider. another classic pairing. they're layin' 'em out tonight. where's the dang scarlet>fire? they rip thru, the rider really getting the crowd going. 2nd set crowd energy was enormous in comparison to the first. could have been the playing itself or maybe their drugs finally kicked in. they cruise right to terrapin, another full suite. awesome work on lady with a fan by jk, especially his MIDI work on that solo. bob picks us up there at terrapin station but sunshine and jeff lay some powerful harmony to "INSPIRATION", was wondering if NYE would be a rare occurance for that. the backend of the suite is played wonderfully. russo spearheading the entire thing, and the band just totally in sync with the two alternating grooves. this is one of the better terrapins i've seen. and right as it comes to a close we're standing on the moon. good work by weir, i love his vocals on this. was great to see jk do it at terrapin crossroads but i don't mind bob's take. eyes was unexpected this late in the set for me but it was nice, had everybody swinging again. phil almost repeats a verse but quickly catches himself. we spiral to the sugar mag i was hoping for, not as long of a sunshine daydream as i like but it's to the point. what an awesome set, more elements of a grateful dead like setlist. they let it all hang out.

what else but a saturday night, thanks for the reminder. expected but rockin as usual, left us blown away from 3 nights of greatness. sound in the oakdale took time to find the right levels but when it did things were smooth. could have also been from my seat.

raging scene after the show, full blown shakedown with very little to no security presence. great night for all!
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, 23atwell, TMax
Sugaree1
Platinum Boarder

Re: REVIEW: 2012-04-07 oakdale theater, wallingford ct

#144235 2 years, 6 months ago
Great review and great to meet you last night. Hope to have time to find the flag tonight but we will be cutting it close getting in to the city after work.

I was 10 feet behind the soundboard and it sounded great all night after the GSET opener. Also, I can't emphasize how rigth you are about the "Inspiration" past of Terrapin. It is just so much more powerful with the group and Sunshine especially belting it out. The whole crowd sings it loud and it just shot me into orbit!!! Great night, wonder what tonight has in store....
If that jubilee don't come, maybe I'll meet you, on the run
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#144239 2 years, 6 months ago
like wise, hopefully we see ya down there..

as for tonight, well...

LAZY LIGHTNING>SUPPLICATION of couse, tonight's gotta be the night, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
Sugaree1
Platinum Boarder

#144242 2 years, 6 months ago
I keep feeling like Scarlet-Fire, Help-Slip-Frank will be any night consifering for frequently they are played. I'm sure it will be great, I hope the boys have their energy up for this opening night
If that jubilee don't come, maybe I'll meet you, on the run
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#144264 2 years, 6 months ago
Thank you Burt for your review. I always look forward to them. Have a great night in NYC
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#144306 2 years, 6 months ago
Thanks for the review. We had seats towards the back of the floor on Phil's side and I thought the sound was good but the vocals could have been a little higher in the mix. My first time at The Oakdale, and I love the place, the security were nice and friendly and they let people do most anything. I'm heading back to The Oakdale in a couple weeks to see Alison Krause and Jerry Douglas, but I don't think that crowd will be as colorful or party friendly

You didn't mention the Dark Star tease between 1/2 step and Birdsong - at one point it sounded to me and my neighbor that they were heading for Dark Star verse 2 and then they abandoned ship and went into Birdsong. Nice slow version of Birdsong. Like the way Phil did the vocals on Birdsong and Eyes. Dug the Lost-Saint and China-Rider. Loved the Terrapin Suite! Had to listen to the studio Terrapin on the way to work today...
These are the good old days!!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#144614 2 years, 6 months ago
did not write anything about the dark star sounding riff as they had already been there the night before, and wouldn't consider it a full on tease, as when they're in open E, they constantly dance around dark star and other one sounding riffs. on a relisten it is there for a short duration but without the melody. very nice slide into bird song.

now, what i forgot to mention, was the brief milestones tease this night, don't remember where, but they hit the stride, and it went along with all the jazzy stuff they've been doing.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by wlewis.
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds