• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
Cooper
Senior Boarder

Re: Coopers Review inside 10 and Pics - Wang Thu 4 Apr

#143987 2 years, 3 months ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
thanks for thereviews BTW are you formly tyler terrapin?

Nope. This is my second identity, however. I used to use my full name and that was a boo boo
Cooper
Senior Boarder

Re: Coopers Rail Review and Pics Update CONN.(day3!!!)

#143988 2 years, 3 months ago
BillyDeLion wrote:
Thanks for the reviews, you write good.

I went to the CT show last night, my wife and I got to the venue a little later than I'd like, but it was great timing, got one of the last parking spots headed in and to our seats, the show started shortly. The Oakdale is a great venue, the security people were actually friendly to us(!) wished us a Happy Easter on the way out. Inside they let anyone do pretty much whatever they wanted. Crowd was nice and friendly, a few screamers near us but so what. They should have booked a multi night run at The Oakdale!! Woke up early and split to get home for the family Easter happenings. Life is good.

You described the show well, the highlight for me was The Terrapin Suite, cant describe other than it was awesome, would never think that I'd see it performed live ever. Now if I could only catch an Unbroken Chain at the Beacon....

The will definitely play Chain, Potatoe, Box(again). The question then is will you be there for that night!
Cooper
Senior Boarder

#145222 2 years, 3 months ago
Pictures for night 2 are at -

photobucket.com/beacon2

Great shots of Jeff Chimenti's full array!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sustainabill, FurthurFlower67
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#145239 2 years, 3 months ago
Cooper wrote:
Pictures for night 2 are at -

photobucket.com/beacon2

Great shots of Jeff Chimenti's full array!!!

COOPER!!! Thanks for these shots and all the others! I love love love the pics of Jeff! Just had to share a few of them!

Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: skidoo
Cooper
Senior Boarder

#145242 2 years, 3 months ago
Why the heck did my review not show up on the first note of the thread? Is anyone else experiencing these problems????
Cooper
Senior Boarder

#145243 2 years, 3 months ago
Night number 2 from the Beacon

Tonight I found myself in the seats called “the family” seats. Put yourself the first 3 rows of the lower balcony and you will see what I mean.

Golden Road opener was a hot, steamy, fast paced opener – and had the place hopping. Since the pins sold out the first night (only 100) there wasn’t a crazy amount of people at the vending table like night one. When the band hit the stage, most people were in their seats tonight.

Born Cross-Eyed was very strong at first but fizzled by verse 2 – and ended earlier than anyone expected – because of the faint riff of Ramble on Rose – this is always a NYC crowed pleaser because of the “New York City” comment. Bobby almost missed his point 2 times. Something about this night, right at this point, started a buzz in the crowd. Maybe the band started using the lighting affects more both front spots and rear stage lights – but something got turned on. Loser started out strong as can be BUT fizzled for some reason. JK just didn’t want to bring it hear with both power and tone as he has in the past. Jeff C did elevate this song but Loser was not JK’s best effort. Pride of Cucamonga – the once a tour appearance was great. Phil was really into it – and it was the highlight of the first set to this point. Lazy River Road was a very nice version and Reuben and Cerise was AWESOME. JK finally came out hard here. Promise Land was an energetic start but hit its height early.

Second set started with a Truckin> drawing cheers for the NY verses. New Speedway was good but the band seemed a bit nervous. Jeff was looking over a paper that AJ brought out and Phil had been glancing to it too. Confusing – not really if you considered what happen 2 songs later. Next came a ROCKING Cumberland Blues. This solo from Jeff Chimenti brought the largest cheer of the night with the Balcony shaking!!! Phill and bobby trading verses - real cute.....

Nobody thought (other than me cause of my March 30 experience in Oakland) that Bobby was pulling out My Brother Esau as the first BUST out of the tour. Bust OUT? Bust OUT? How about before any acoustic version – the last time this song was played electric was 10/3/1987. That is 14 million two hundred thousand and sixty two shows ago. (Exaggeration but who is counting). I know it has been over 25 years since Bob played this song with a band – and it was EXTREMELY awesome!

Here is the last time it was played:
archive.org/details/gd1987-10-03.sbd.gmb.79380.sbeok.flac16

Long silence after this break out. Bobby is the man! He is just poauring it out – trying so hard and having so much fun. Never seen him like this – ever.

Phil is consistently a bass juggernaut (a metaphorical force regarded as mercilessly destructive and unstoppable). In heaven there will be ONLY one bass player. It will be Mr. Lesh – and thank goodness heavan can wait, so we can enjoy. If you haven’t been to a show live – that’s ok. Get a soundboard and you will be blown away. Phil has become a better bass player with time. Compare 2012 to 2002, 1992, 1982, 1972. Tell me here if you find a better sounding bass from Phil than he does now. You can here it on any Scarlet>Fire. On this night, being the 5th night of the tour – it had to be played right? Has Furthur ever played 6 shows in a row without a Scarlet? Fire is just full of Phil bombs as usual.

Then comes a Bob/Rat Dog favorite Dear Prudence. This seems to be played by Bobby the last several years in NYC. Is it a tribute to John and the fact that he was murdered only 2 blocks from the Beacon in front of his home at the Dakota?
This was a great version when you consider the last 4 songs played! There was a real nice long pause before the verse ‘ Won't you come out to play......’

Then Phil counted off a long Unbroken Chain. This was the music highlight of the night – just went on riving away. Great pace, great sound, great song! What a treat. This went into The Eleven. Another musical masterpiece on this night.
Turn On Your Lovelight ended this phonominal set. It may have had highs and low in energy – but overall it was the set of the tour to be at so far!!!

How about coming out and everyone was expecting a Touch (its due) and Bobby comes to the microphone and says – this next one is for… And is cut off via on stage monitor by Phil and bobby awkwardly walks away from the microphone (you know bobawardly), to start The Weight.. Versus swapped from Phil, Bob and JK. Why Sunshine, Jeff P, and even Jeff Chimenti (deep voice) don’t get their own verses here is still my guess. That would be fun – but oh well. Next tour.

Now for another post I would like to refer to. New York is making it hard for Furthur to return. The reality is – Furthur is having it hard for New York to have them back. Nothing like seeing a 74th Avenue family with their 6 and 9 year old kid try to get to their home by passing a couple of hundred of people looking for a “miracle” in front of the Beacon.

I heard Best Buy Theater (the old Nokia) wont have them back. There were over 30 arrests the first night of the Phil 71st birthday run 2 years ago. The Radio City Music Hall also may not allow them back due to the mess left in that theater.

Does anyone remember what happened in the 90’s? Why must history always repeat itself….

Re: GUYS YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP PLAYING THE BEACON
#145217 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
FYI - i heard through the grapevine that Furthur was TOLD they will NEVER be allowed back to Radio City. I also heard from a different source that MSG said "NO" more. Being MSG and Beacon is the same management company - my guess is Furthur may be done with NY CITY venues. (BTW - I also called Esau last night(LOL))

This seems eerie familiar to the crap that started going down in the mid90's with the band.

"This Darkness Got To Give

Dear Dead Heads:

This is the way it looks to us from the stage:

Your justly-renowned tolerance and compassion have set you up to be used. At Deer Creek, we watched many of you cheer on and help a thousand fools kick down the fence and break into the show. We can't play music and watch plywood flying around endangering people. The security and police whom those people endangered represent us, work for us -- think of them as us. You can't expect mellow security if you're throwing things at them. The saboteurs who did this can only do it if all Dead Heads allow them to. Your reputation is at stake.

Don't you get it?

Over the past thirty years we've come up with the fewest possible rules to make the difficult act of bringing tons of people together work well -- and a few thousand so-called Dead Heads ignore those simple rules and screw it up for you, us and everybody. We've never before had to cancel a show because of you. Think about it.

If you don't have a ticket, don't come. This is real. This is first a music concert, not a free-for-all party. Secondly, don't vend. Vending attracts people without tickets. Many of the people without tickets have no responsibility or obligation to our scene. They don't give a shit. They act like idiots. They think it's just a party to get as trashed as possible at. We're all supposed to be about higher consciousness, not drunken stupidity.

It's up to you as Dead Heads to educate these people, and to pressure them into acting like Dead Heads instead of maniacs. They can only get away with this crap if you let them. The old slogan is true: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Want to end the touring life of the Grateful Dead? Allow bottle-throwing gate crashers to keep on thinking they're cool anarchists instead of the creeps they are.

Want to continue it? Listen to the rules, and pressure others to do so. A few more scenes like Sunday night, and we'll quite simply be unable to play. The spirit of the Grateful Dead is at stake, and we'll do what we have to do to protect it. And when you hear somebody say "Fuck you, we'll do what we want," remember something.

That applies to us, too.

Phil, Jerry, Bobby, Mickey, Billy and Vince"
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Cooper.
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#145248 2 years, 3 months ago
hi cooper, I dont see the review to read ???
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
Sustainabill
Platinum Boarder
Muchas Garcias

#145262 2 years, 3 months ago
Best wishes for a successful recovery of your reviews. Hopefully they can be retrieved. Perhaps someone made back-up copies.

They were probably misplaced during one of the recent maintenance sessions. The janitor was probably reading them during his break, and left them by the coffee pot. Maybe the reviews will be located when this notice next appears:

The Forum is currently offline for maintenance.

Check back soon!

Good luck, keep posting, reviewing, and taking photos. You're one of the MVP's of this board as you bring the show to us.
Thank You Jerry
Cooper
Senior Boarder

#145269 2 years, 3 months ago
The review is here, had someone else post....

Beacon Review - Night 2 - Cooper
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

Re: Coopers Review inside 10 and Pics - Wang Thu 4 Apr

#145270 2 years, 3 months ago
COOPERS REVIEW NIGHT TWO OF THE BEACON!

COOPERS REVIEW NIGHT TWO

Night number 2 from the Beacon

Tonight I found myself in the seats called “the family” seats. Put yourself the first 3 rows of the lower balcony and you will see what I mean.

Golden Road opener was a hot, steamy, fast paced opener – and had the place hopping. Since the pins sold out the first night (only 100) there wasn’t a crazy amount of people at the vending table like night one. When the band hit the stage, most people were in their seats tonight.

Born Cross-Eyed was very strong at first but fizzled by verse 2 – and ended earlier than anyone expected – because of the faint riff of Ramble on Rose – this is always a NYC crowed pleaser because of the “New York City” comment. Bobby almost missed his point 2 times. Something about this night, right at this point, started a buzz in the crowd. Maybe the band started using the lighting affects more both front spots and rear stage lights – but something got turned on. Loser started out strong as can be BUT fizzled for some reason. JK just didn’t want to bring it hear with both power and tone as he has in the past. Jeff C did elevate this song but Loser was not JK’s best effort. Pride of Cucamonga – the once a tour appearance was great. Phil was really into it – and it was the highlight of the first set to this point. Lazy River Road was a very nice version and Reuben and Cerise was AWESOME. JK finally came out hard here. Promise Land was an energetic start but hit its height early.

Second set started with a Truckin> drawing cheers for the NY verses. New Speedway was good but the band seemed a bit nervous. Jeff was looking over a paper that AJ brought out and Phil had been glancing to it too. Confusing – not really if you considered what happen 2 songs later. Next came a ROCKING Cumberland Blues. This solo from Jeff Chimenti brought the largest cheer of the night with the Balcony shaking!!! Phill and bobby trading verses - real cute.....

Nobody thought (other than me cause of my March 30 experience in Oakland) that Bobby was pulling out My Brother Esau as the first BUST out of the tour. Bust OUT? Bust OUT? How about before any acoustic version – the last time this song was played electric was 10/3/1987. That is 14 million two hundred thousand and sixty two shows ago. (Exaggeration but who is counting). I know it has been over 25 years since Bob played this song with a band – and it was EXTREMELY awesome!

Here is the last time it was played:
http:// archive.org/details/gd1987-10-03.sbd.gmb.79380.sbeok.flac16
(Links are broken I had to put a space between the http:// and archive.org for it to be able to post. Just copy and paste the URL and take the space out.)

Long silence after this break out. Bobby is the man! He is just poauring it out – trying so hard and having so much fun. Never seen him like this – ever.

Phil is consistently a bass juggernaut (a metaphorical force regarded as mercilessly destructive and unstoppable). In heaven there will be ONLY one bass player. It will be Mr. Lesh – and thank goodness heavan can wait, so we can enjoy. If you haven’t been to a show live – that’s ok. Get a soundboard and you will be blown away. Phil has become a better bass player with time. Compare 2012 to 2002, 1992, 1982, 1972. Tell me here if you find a better sounding bass from Phil than he does now. You can here it on any Scarlet>Fire. On this night, being the 5th night of the tour – it had to be played right? Has Furthur ever played 6 shows in a row without a Scarlet? Fire is just full of Phil bombs as usual.

Then comes a Bob/Rat Dog favorite Dear Prudence. This seems to be played by Bobby the last several years in NYC. Is it a tribute to John and the fact that he was murdered only 2 blocks from the Beacon in front of his home at the Dakota?
This was a great version when you consider the last 4 songs played! There was a real nice long pause before the verse ‘ Won't you come out to play......’

Then Phil counted off a long Unbroken Chain. This was the music highlight of the night – just went on riving away. Great pace, great sound, great song! What a treat. This went into The Eleven. Another musical masterpiece on this night.
Turn On Your Lovelight ended this phonominal set. It may have had highs and low in energy – but overall it was the set of the tour to be at so far!!!

How about coming out and everyone was expecting a Touch (its due) and Bobby comes to the microphone and says – this next one is for… And is cut off via on stage monitor by Phil and bobby awkwardly walks away from the microphone (you know bobawardly), to start The Weight.. Versus swapped from Phil, Bob and JK. Why Sunshine, Jeff P, and even Jeff Chimenti (deep voice) don’t get their own verses here is still my guess. That would be fun – but oh well. Next tour.

Now for another post I would like to refer to. New York is making it hard for Furthur to return. The reality is – Furthur is having it hard for New York to have them back. Nothing like seeing a 74th Avenue family with their 6 and 9 year old kid try to get to their home by passing a couple of hundred of people looking for a “miracle” in front of the Beacon.

I heard Best Buy Theater (the old Nokia) wont have them back. There were over 30 arrests the first night of the Phil 71st birthday run 2 years ago. The Radio City Music Hall also may not allow them back due to the mess left in that theater.

Does anyone remember what happened in the 90’s? Why must history always repeat itself….

Re: GUYS YOU REALLY HAVE TO STOP PLAYING THE BEACON
#145217 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
FYI - i heard through the grapevine that Furthur was TOLD they will NEVER be allowed back to Radio City. I also heard from a different source that MSG said "NO" more. Being MSG and Beacon is the same management company - my guess is Furthur may be done with NY CITY venues. (BTW - I also called Esau last night(LOL))

This seems eerie familiar to the crap that started going down in the mid90's with the band.

"This Darkness Got To Give

Dear Dead Heads:

This is the way it looks to us from the stage:

Your justly-renowned tolerance and compassion have set you up to be used. At Deer Creek, we watched many of you cheer on and help a thousand fools kick down the fence and break into the show. We can't play music and watch plywood flying around endangering people. The security and police whom those people endangered represent us, work for us -- think of them as us. You can't expect mellow security if you're throwing things at them. The saboteurs who did this can only do it if all Dead Heads allow them to. Your reputation is at stake.

Don't you get it?

Over the past thirty years we've come up with the fewest possible rules to make the difficult act of bringing tons of people together work well -- and a few thousand so-called Dead Heads ignore those simple rules and screw it up for you, us and everybody. We've never before had to cancel a show because of you. Think about it.

If you don't have a ticket, don't come. This is real. This is first a music concert, not a free-for-all party. Secondly, don't vend. Vending attracts people without tickets. Many of the people without tickets have no responsibility or obligation to our scene. They don't give a shit. They act like idiots. They think it's just a party to get as trashed as possible at. We're all supposed to be about higher consciousness, not drunken stupidity.

It's up to you as Dead Heads to educate these people, and to pressure them into acting like Dead Heads instead of maniacs. They can only get away with this crap if you let them. The old slogan is true: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Want to end the touring life of the Grateful Dead? Allow bottle-throwing gate crashers to keep on thinking they're cool anarchists instead of the creeps they are.

Want to continue it? Listen to the rules, and pressure others to do so. A few more scenes like Sunday night, and we'll quite simply be unable to play. The spirit of the Grateful Dead is at stake, and we'll do what we have to do to protect it. And when you hear somebody say "Fuck you, we'll do what we want," remember something.

That applies to us, too.

Phil, Jerry, Bobby, Mickey, Billy and Vince"

PICS OF NIGHT TWO IN HIS NIGHT TWO THREAD!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sustainabill
Time to create page: 1.44 seconds