• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

2011-03-25 Phil Lesh and Friends

#138564 2 years, 5 months ago
man oh man, sunday...my final day at terrapin crossroads. woke up fairly early, so we could go get brunch at the sweetwater. was a good idea too. nice little place in mill valley, great sound. there was a 3 piece band playing a female singer, standup bass, and keys. food was pricey but good. i was not disappointed with it in any way, just spent a lot for it. hung out for a little then checked out mill valley. nice little area that village. later that night we did "dinner" at terrapin, really just some raw oysters and i had a salad, didn't want anything too heavy before the show.

great energy floating around in lieu of the special appearances from larry and theresa. phil kicks things off with a barn burning cumberland. seemed like he started a few beats before everybody but it quickly caught fire and spread. everybody was throwing down, and at one point larry looks over at JK like "damn this kid can play". perfect way to start this night. larry picks up his fiddle and we glide into a fun friend of the devil. nice fast paced tempo, excellent groove. best of all, JK vocals. theresa comes on out after this and boy does she look gorgeous. i totally have the hots for her she is one sexy mama. and she's got a nice set of pipes and plays guitar, total bonus. anyways, deep elem, larry really holding it down, glances and smirks between him and his lady throughout. til the morning comes, great choice. i always thought jk does a good job with this and this was in repertoire when LC played with phil. theresas voice really adds to it. peggy-o was a highlight of the night for me. i love the way they can pass around the vocals from verse to verse. they used the delayed phrasing but it worked because everybody was in tune to it. foolish heart caught me by surprise but it did not disappoint. great jams. love jk on it. i really thought i heard comes a time coming thru on the backend of the last jam and they sure did..LC on fiddle, it was awesome. john really pouring out his emotion into it. the outro jam on this one too, very great, twists/turns/meanders to the box of rain. a RARE phil screw up in the first verse. he jumped into the second verse aggressively, you could see him really singing it, forcing it, opposed to his more laid back approach.

super laid back scene outside during the break. least patrolled or worried about of the 4 i attended i think. plenty of time to mill around and do whatever you gotta do that's for sure.

thought i heard john hinting and the help on the way while they tuned up but they blasted into a full force shakedown street. really great, the entire crowd was swingin and swayin to this one. they were all playing off of each other so well, and a perfect digression to playin in the band, i really wanted to hear it this weekend. grahame did a fine job with it. they did not leave much unexplored. thought i heard them veering toward china cat but i could have sworn we already heard that this weekend. oh well, guess we will again. nice version, solo jk vox. i really enjoyed it and the jam that finds the light, just a little that is. this was kind of tough to watch, jk actually struggled with it a bit, uncharacteristic of him with this song. made me really appreciate the smoker we got in broomfield with warren. theresa floats back out and they give us a great rendition of keep your lamps trimmed and burning. great lineup to pull this one off, gave it just the right feel. ahh help on the way, and only john singing yeah! little slip ups nothing terrible and followed by a nice slipknot that leads to the days between. wow, talk about totally unexpected. john steps up to the mic and delivers. they did a great job. dynamically they nailed it as well. this tune requires special attention. for a slow song, this one engaged the ENTIRE crowd. they keep it going all the way to franklins tower and phil brings us home. thought that would be it but they give us one last ride down the road feelin bad. theresa is back out and everybody takes a verse and some great solos. i was hoping for a bid you goodnight but they're definitely saving that. phil looked directly at theresa after this and said "i love you" and she motioned i love you right back to him.

the stage had some real love floating around this night and the show was really good. a nice way to end my 4 night residency.

terrapin is incredible and i urge everybody to go, even if it means skimping out on the furthur shows. i look forward to returning, hopefully soon!
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, ruby_claire, Tmglf2, Warlock, iamthedoor, gvanman, ecojaded, amusingdeva, 23atwell, dead_in_ky...
chuman
Junior Boarder

Re: 2011-03-25 Phil Lesh and Friends

#139183 2 years, 5 months ago
I was at all of the John K shows at Terrapin Crossroads..and I really had a great time too.The wait staff all seemed nice and happy to be working there.. Phil's wife Jill handed me a grilled cheese sandwich at the end of the show..She really is a sweetheart. I also loved in between sets going to the smoking area and then into the restaurant section to order some yummy fresh wild mushroom and carmelized onion with fontina pizza..or as they call it..flatbreads or "Wheels" that they make in their wood burning oven..There is a very family feel to seeing shows at Terrapin that to me is something most of us would love, so I fully recommend that everyone check the place out. If not for a show(which I hear Phil says he will be playing over 250 shows a year there)then just for dinner or drinks..Buckle Up Kids..This is gonna be fun=)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#139203 2 years, 5 months ago
i'm right there with you brother. in fact, i must have seen you several times during the JK nights. glad to hear someone enjoyed just as much as i did. now that i think about it, who the hell didnt???
eddieb
Fresh Boarder

#139300 2 years, 5 months ago
Lovin your reviews, but your titles are a tad misleading. It's currently 2012.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#139308 2 years, 5 months ago
yeah wow, you're right about that. they really weren't kidding, do enough and you'll fry your brain.

even funnier is you're the first one to mention that. and out of the 4 i did, hundreds of folks looked at them. LOL
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by wlewis.
Chester
More or less in line

#139385 2 years, 5 months ago
Thanks for the review and picture chuman. Glad you made it.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

#139643 2 years, 5 months ago
eddieb wrote:
Lovin your reviews, but your titles are a tad misleading. It's currently 2012.

Yes, confusing thread title...especially since on 3/25/2011 I was seeing FURTHUR Radio City lol.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#139646 2 years, 5 months ago
wlewis wrote:
yeah wow, you're right about that. they really weren't kidding, do enough and you'll fry your brain.

even funnier is you're the first one to mention that. and out of the 4 i did, hundreds of folks looked at them. LOL

She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds