• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

2011-03-23 Phil Lesh and Friends

#136580 2 years, 1 month ago
alrighty night 2, such an awesome feeling to just be hanging around. after knowing how truly special this place is, every second is worthwhile enjoyment. we went to the restaurant early grabbed a pint, some rangpur lime raw oysters MMMMMMM and hung out. food/drink is very reasonably priced IMO. on our way out to the grate room i saw rock scully and decided to chat with him for a free. we talked about radio city last yr and furthur festivals, the last two places i saw him. he was in good spirts, remembering well how much he enjoyed calavares but also started to talk about how he liked it here because it was "their old neighborhood". it's the new one too!! show started about 30 minutes later than the night before but that was fine. good room inside to find some space. we took to a couple people back in front of phil tonight. great energy from the entire band upon arrival.

alligator is always a welcomed opener, thought it had some real gritty playing, heavy mountain jam tease within as well...people were right out of the gate grooving, myself included. school girl was awesome, great segue into and jackie was strong. he appeared to be zonked out of his mind but he was pulling through big time on this tune. 3rd slot deal was a wise choice. i actually missed jeff and sunshine big time on this one, they add that little "woo woo" it's fun. pride of cucamonga, i REALLY wanted this one, second to broken arrow, and it was wild. had perfect sight lines of phil all night but tihs one was just me and phil. bass lessons by watching. loser had a really nice feel to it, good to hear john back at it. that bob vox version in cuse in nov was really a let down. i lost count of how many beats we had into BIODTL but i would say a minimum of 18-21. smokin version, grahame really delivered. bertha is one i would listen to every night if they did it. i was secretly wishing it was "any road" but you can't win them all. masons to close things out was cool. i really love this song, and think GD should have always played it. it's got a great feel and phil knows just how to pilot that one.

setbreak was a little longer, mingled around, ironically ran into tim's friend. we were able to get right back to where we were at for the second set. only on the west coast.

jackie was messing around on the organ, felt like a 7th inning stretch or something LOL russo came out and then everybody. they found a nice groove and dropped down into a psychadelic viola lee blues. the jams between the verses were there! only thing to really complain about was opening lines of the verses. for some reason they couldn't start it all together at the same time but man, everybody was taking a turn with that one. wharf rat was beautiful, very emotional. phil's bass playing was PERFECT, the most moving melodic sequences tickling every single part of your body. grahame really took an awesome solo in this one and johns solos were guided tours of the inner workings of his psyche and thoughts on wharf rat. very nice exploratory quest to find the estimated prophet. pretty great version. i wasn't a fan of jackies rendition in broomfield but this time i kind of knew what to expect but also, i was appreciating the different phrasing he uses for parts of the song. to some they're like "well that's wrong" but, what's right? he's singing it in time, in key, just different phrasing. can't say bob weir has not adopted his shatneresque ways of phrasing songs. a real nice he's gone, everybody just in a good space and a flight into the eyes. as the vox were to start...phil didn't move...jk started stepping toward his mic. no, it can't be. oh lord it is, "RIGHT OUTSIDE, THIS LAZY SUMMER HOME" it's been over 2 years since i've heard john sing this song. phil had just given us a gift we've been asking for, well, at least me and a lot of other people i know. he did mess up and almost repeat a verse but i didn't care, it's been a long time for him with that one. st. stephen really caught me by surprise, not sure why, but it was reeeeally good. jackie was doing some cool stuff but the jam before they come back to the body of the song was top notch. phil extended it quite a bit. i was expecting an 11, and strider was talking about it earlier in the day. not fade away, COOL. not overplayed, just the right amount, everyone was having a good time spreading their love all around. it totally felt like this was it but a wonderful so many roads, jk pouring it on thick. really felt a sugar mag and sure enough ther eit is. it rocked, bombs from phil, ripping leads from johnny, and grahame even getting wild.

more awesome grilled cheese!!!! love it! awesome touch. who doesn't need a snack after a workout like this one? some folks were doing a not fade away chant and phil started doing it to an irish jig and dancing around a little bit it was really funny. it's like hiring the band to play in your living room or really just hanging out at their house. i love it. what am i doing out east?

lovelight to end the night was short but fun.

phil was incredibly animated for this show and it showed. whole band was having a great time. jackie looked a bit "out of it", and sat behind the organ for a good part of the night. i noticed chimenti beaming a few times at jk totally absorbing his playing. jackies playing too. really cool to watch. all night everybody was giving grahame encouragement and pushing him musically and i can already hear how well he can play. got to say thanks to him and phil again last night.

so excited for tonight, VIP!!!
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, SunshineSue, 23atwell
Chester
More or less in line

Re: 2011-03-23 Phil Lesh and Friends

#136585 2 years, 1 month ago
VIP! You son of a gun. We better see pictures!
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#136656 2 years ago
i wonder if the shows with warren are sold out?
and yeah its a good time to live close to da bay area if your a deadhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Chester
More or less in line

#136659 2 years ago
illuminaughty wrote:
i wonder if the shows with warren are sold out?
and yeah its a good time to live close to da bay area if your a deadhead.

Keep checking the TC site for those half price tickets.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#136732 2 years ago
Thank you Burt for painting us a picture of you experience so far. You really make someone wish they were there. Enjoy your VIP tonight.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#137064 2 years ago
You write one hell of a good show review! Thanks for posting!
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds