• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

2011-03-22 Phil Lesh and Friends

#136224 2 years, 5 months ago
wow, don't even know where to begin. just being back in california is good enough for me, but this, wow!

went down to the venue earlier in the day to check it out from the outside, very neat. good folks hanging around, saw some familiar faces from tour and of course some new ones. eventually we went to grab a double double at in n out, back to the room, and down to the venue for show. we went in early to the restaurant/bar and had a beer, chatted with some folks. eventually it became time to head in. the place was tiny!!! even more so than i imagined from seeing the pix/webcast. very intimate. strict security for getting in but rightfully so. NOT the place for riff raff to sneak in.

we spent the first set basically one behind the rail left center. right in front of JK/jeff/sunshine. everyone looked so happy on stage and in the crowd. getaway opener was nice, jk must love playing this one. dire wolf was super sweet, ross' pedal steel added the touch it needs. tennesee jed was nice, my mind was bent silly when i saw JK pick up his fiddle. i've been wanting to see this with furthur for over 2 years now. this was the first time on this particular night i said "just when you think you've seen it all burt". grahame did a great job with vocals, i think he sounded astronomically better than the webcast, could also be because i was right there. great harmonies on the chorus. i shall be released was BEAUTIFUL. great JGB choice. jk picked up his guitar after this and we barrelled right into SOTOTW, a real barn burner, had my body just as bouncy as phil's tone. when sunch picked up her flute i had a strong feeling on if i had the world to give, and it was great. "just when you think you've seen it all". brown eyed women was good everybody was really beaming. liberty was an awesome first set closer. watching grahame do this one was very awesome. all i could think was "wow, this is the little tot who used to sit and watch jerry". he did a good job esp with vox--last one in particular.

setbreak was neat, walked around, outside for a puff and to mingle. longer than i expected after seeing the webcast, but i'm cool with that. my bones needed the rest. miles schon came out for this set. i won't lie, i was kind of bummed and nervous. cosmic charley was very nice, jeff p on vox. i should mention he took "lead" vox on a few different tunes, and it was cool. didn't have the "power" but has his energy. really awesome outro jam on this. the wheel was nice and psychadelic, with a some really solid jamming. wheels on fire! been a long time since i've seen phil do this one! another jeff p vox. wheel in the sky was unexpceted. we figured a journey tune but really didn't know if they would and if they did which one. crowd was responding wonderfully, with sunshine singing lead, and miles even adding some backups. heard the other one coming thru and sure enough. they took the jam between verses to a far off land "hmmm are they splitting this up??" no. love to hear phil sing this one. phrasing was slightly off but does not matter here, it's all about the moment. uncle johns added a great touch. perfect tune for this type of setting. stella blue was a highlight of the night for me. jk's fiddle work and vocals were spine tingling. "i've stayed in every blue light cheap hotel" gave me the ultimate shivers. china>rider to cap the set was just what we needed to get back into the groove. ripple encore was actually amazing, strictly for finally after a couple years with furthur.. hearing jk sing the whole thing. sorry bob, can't lie about it.

after the show we went back to the restaurant/bar and hung out. while there, we met many band members. talked to ross and was able to compliment him on the pedal steel playing, a little thank you to jeff p and russo for mingling, talked to miles schon for a good 5-10 minutes about his playing, what he is currently doing. a real nice kid, younger than me (i know, right?). he said "i wish i knew the GD songs better" but he added a nice touch and tone to some songs. he plays his original music in the area, and i aske dhim how it all came to be and he said phil sought after him. we also saw jk with the mrs, grahame with lady friend, and even a hello and a personal thanks to phil and jill. phil's voice was very hoarse, but he was in great spirits.

sound inside the venue is awesome, they're still figuring out the sound system and everything but i am so exicted for tonight, VIP sat, and larry/theresa on sunday!!

i know i am sometimes a little more detailed but really i am not critiquing this stuff like i would a furthur show.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, funky420, ecojaded, FurthurFlower67, 23atwell, Wundurland
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

Re: 2011-03-22 Phil Lesh and Friends

#136225 2 years, 5 months ago
Oh My you are so blessed to have been there sigh someday !!!
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by alilfurther.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#136229 2 years, 5 months ago
Thanks for the wonderful review!!! Now on with night two!!!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#136240 2 years, 5 months ago
Wow Lewis real cool ! JK on fittle ! Seems like the show last night would have been *EPIC*

"When all the cards are down
there's nothing left to see"
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#136246 2 years, 5 months ago
i forgot to mention anything about the crowd. first set, very respectful. 2nd set not so much. lots of cell phones and a few who had too much too fast. no regard for anybodys space. we all worked through it and still had the greatest time though. no bad sound anywhere either. it did seem like phil was constantly signaling for adjustments to the sbd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#136248 2 years, 5 months ago
OH!!!

GRILLED CHEESE!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!

and also noticed lots of folks had left before the end of the show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#136258 2 years, 5 months ago
Thank you Burt for the review. Sounds like you a great time just like you imagined you would. Have fun tonight!
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#136275 2 years, 5 months ago
I'll say it again - YOU LUCKY DOGS!!!!! Say hi to the FFF for me!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Warlock
Platinum Boarder

#136352 2 years, 5 months ago
Great review, I feel like I was there !! Glad your having a great time, on with night two
Strider1
Platinum Boarder
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude

#136563 2 years, 5 months ago
I'm not nearly as good with words as Wlewis, so here's my review:

It left a smoking crater of my mind I like to blow away!
Takin' it in stride!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds