• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

Setlist - Phil Lesh & Friends, 03/20/12

#135610 2 years, 1 month ago
Phil Lesh & Friends
03/20/12 (Tue)
Terrapin Crossroads (Grate Room)
San Rafael, CA

Set 1:
Dancing in the Streets >
Jam >
Loose Lucy
Mississippi Half Step >
Jam >
Chinatown Shuffle
Rainy Day Singers (1)
Two Souls in Communion
Tough Mama >
Jam >
Hard to Handle

Set 2:
Golden Road (to Unlimited Devotion)
Crazy Fingers >
Bird Song
Appaloosa >
Unbroken Chain >
Hallucinations (2) >
Unbroken Chain >
Morning Dew >
Gimme Shelter >
Sugaree
E: Comes a Time

(1) new song by Phil Lesh & Chris Robinson
(2) Tim Buckley song

wow! night 3 delivered a healthy dose of Chris Robinson and i absolutely loved it. definitely my favorite show of the first three, but all have been excellent. i had a feeling that without Jackie in the line-up Chris would be featured more prominently, and we got a lot of Chris! there were some rare selections and also a brand new song.

the show kicked off with a major bang - Dancin' > jam > Loose Lucy - and i was lovin' it from the get-go. very strong versions of both songs. Grahame took vocals on 1/2 Step while Chris took a break, but Chris was back for Chinatown Shuffle. Grahame did a good job with 1/2 Step, but Chris unfortunately had some trouble with the lyrics to Chinatown Shuffle (his only mistake of the night). Rainy Day Singers was a new song and i definitely liked it. Next came Two Souls in Communion, and it did not disappoint (this was the song i was really hoping for at the last show with Chris... thank you!!!). Tough Mama was a real nice surprise (a Chris Robinson standard with the Brotherhood, but i wasn't expecting it with Phil at all). a great transition jam led into Hard to Handle (which was expected) and Chris nailed it.

the 2nd set once again just killed. Golden Road was very high energy, Grahame did a very nice job with Crazy Fingers... and then it took off into outer space. Bird Song, Appaloosa, and then a major first for me... an Unbroken Chain sandwich (not even sure i've ever seen one on paper). when they launched into Morning Dew i was thrilled, but was also thinking that Dew would be the set-ender. how wrong i was.... when Jimmy started playing the opening riff of Gimme Shelter my jaw dropped. holy cow, freaking Gimme Shelter!!! a fun rocking version it was, and i thought for sure THAT would be the set ender... nope! they had one more in 'em and Sugaree was a superb set closer. when they came out for the encore "Comes a Time" was nowhere on my radar. it was sublime!!!!!

this band totally rocked and the first three nights at Terrapin Crossroads were joyous. next stop, John K on the 22nd. things will no doubt get more interesting as the run progresses.

did anyone tune in for the web cast? last night was the first one, and from what i heard via email and text message the quality was very good.
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by .
Chester
More or less in line

Re: Setlist - Phil Lesh & Friends, 03/20/12

#135621 2 years, 1 month ago
taper.tsquare wrote:

did anyone tune in for the web cast? last night was the first one, and from what i heard via email and text message the quality was very good.

Oh yeah we did. Quality was very good. We have a thread on the main page with over 2500 views! Fun times on couch tour.
And thanks for the review!
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds